Bye Bye Bug, can I take the lugnuts

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI DSG Candy White
Ok so I am a week out from my Bug being bought back by VW. I will miss her but I don't want any pending fix and I suspect that there will be a point where the deal wont be so sweet. So I am taking the buy out and running...

Now that being said... I have keyed lug nuts on my bugs wheels. Can I move those to my Ford Explorer?

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Far as I know all the modern VW's use bolts for the wheels, not lug nuts. Does the Explorer use lug nuts or bolts to secure the wheels? Last Ford I had was a 2001 E-150 and it used lug nuts. Also don't know if the thread size would be the same which is another detail to watch for.

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI DSG Candy White
Yeah.. VW uses Lug Bolts vs Lug Nuts... two reasons...

1. its cheaper to have the bolt not be part of the hub
2. you can damage the thread on the hub when mounting the wheel.

So sadly this is my last week as a VW owner. It has been awesome being part of this forum for the last 16 years... Only wish I had found it sooner as I had bought the '97 B4 Passat in '97 and did not find this club until I had some issues that needed resolving.

Already have a forum for my Honda Pilot, although no where near the knowledge base this forum has. Now must find a good Ford forum I guess.

So until the next VW enters my garage I must bid you so long.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Now that being said... I have keyed lug nuts on my bugs wheels. Can I move those to my Ford Explorer?
Absolutely won't work. Bolts on a bug and nuts on an Exploder.

Why would you want to? So you have a flat miles from anywhere and the keyed lug wrench is sitting on the tire shops work bench from the last time you had tire work done, maybe?

One of the first things I did with my 2006 is went and got 4 regular lug bolts and removed those ridiculous keyed lug bolts. And guess what? No one has ever even tried to rip off my factory wheels.

Last edited: