I am Fu** , HPFP dead

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Success!!! Congratulations seth1065!!! Good luck with your replacement vehicle and best wishes for the new year!!!

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
I think it's damn shame when something like this happens.
It' gets even worse when you think about all Gen 1 cars that will be turned in with good working HPFP's that will wind up in the crusher.
Think if VWOA would pull these pumps off the cars and make them available to owners in need.
My TDi will be going back in two weeks with a perfectly good pump, only to be crushed.
In all eight years of ownership, I always got out to ensure That diesel, and not gas was dispensed at refueling. (In NJ, you do not pump your own fuel)

evantful

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2016 Golf SE TSI
It' gets even worse when you think about all Gen 1 cars that will be turned in with good working HPFP's that will wind up in the crusher.
Think if VWOA would pull these pumps off the cars and make them available to owners in need.
My TDi will be going back in two weeks with a perfectly good pump, only to be crushed.
In all eight years of ownership, I always got out to ensure That diesel, and not gas was dispensed at refueling. (In NJ, you do not pump your own fuel)

Right now no one knows if they will be crushed because 'the fix' for the Gen 1's hasn't been resolved one way or the other. Second, even if the cars can't be fixed to a standard the EPA/CARB wants and will not be permitted for resale only the engine, ECU and emissions equipment need to be destroyed per the guidelines laid out. No one knows exactly if the engines can't be stripped of some of its components and even if that is the case the rest of the car can be used for salvage parts. So before we say all the cars are getting crushed, let the process finish.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
Look at the roadmap time line for 2015 model fix

IMO if and when a Gen 1 fix is approved, you're looking at modifications for cars that will be over 10 years old.

I tend to think a 2009 Gen 1 vehicle, like mine, will be put to rest.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf

Whats your source for saying the TDIs bought back will be crushed without first saving the useful parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
Second, even if the cars can't be fixed to a standard the EPA/CARB wants and will not be permitted for resale only the engine, ECU and emissions equipment need to be destroyed per the guidelines laid out. No one knows exactly if the engines can't be stripped.

Your 2/3 right. It's the ECU and some emissions parts that cannot be resold. The rest of the car including the engine parts can be harvested. We do know that. It's in the agreement.

evantful

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2016 Golf SE TSI
Your 2/3 right. It's the ECU and some emissions parts that cannot be resold. The rest of the car including the engine parts can be harvested. We do know that. It's in the agreement.

Even more to my point then, things like working HPFP can be saved.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I agree with you, regarding NJ fuel, I have every receipt for every filliup and always check the paperwork. In the end I just deducted the amount that my last hPFP cost to install from my buyback, would it have been nice if VW said just tow it in, yes but I understand they were not gonna do that.

QUOTE=edge130;5216405]I think it's damn shame when something like this happens.
In all eight years of ownership, I always got out to ensure That diesel, and not gas was dispensed at refueling. (In NJ, you do not pump your own fuel)[/QUOTE]

SOCALGAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan & 2013 Jetta Wagon
Update time, my TDI is back in VW hands as of yesterday, I picked it up from my indie w my "new " HPFP and systems ready to go, it was 16 miles from my indie shop to the dealer and my goal when my 2 HPFP went was $100 bucks a mile and I made it. I had put in a donated used HPFP ( thanks Ken) and used injectors my indie bought for me. Mike from M&M auto in Montague NJ did the work and did a great job. I did not replace the fuel tank and not sure if the pump in the tank was replaced. total cost was around $1200 and that is w a donated HPFP, Got to admit I was a little nervous making the drive, had to jump the car as the new batt. I bought in Oct I took out and put in a old one I had around the house , but IT made it, I drove the whole way with the pano roof open in 25 degree weather but it was a blast one last drive w the roof open, even my cracked DPF light was not on! So ends my TDI ownership. Huge shout out to everyone who helped me with this ordeal, Mike from M&M, Mcguirk who offered to sell me used injectors, who I hope I convinced him to put his car back into service and take the buy out, and esp Ksing44 who donated me the pump, I will lurk on the board from time to time but to all peace.

Smithers

Veteran Member
This seems like the correct thread to zombify.

2013 Passat TDI
116,000 miles
Buyback appointment scheduled for March

HPFP done blowed up yesterday. I cut the engine and coasted off to the shoulder of the interstate. Towed to dealer using extended roadside assistance. Dealer called back today - debris in the fuel system and it's a $5,400 job.

He then gave me an 800 number and suggested I call VW and that after June 28th, they were getting no latitude from VW as far as goodwill repairs (as if).

I've seen no reports of anyone getting any sort of satisfaction from VW in these situations. Did I miss anything? Suggestions?

Thanks.

Ugh.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Title says it all, 130,000 miles car would not start last week, replaced the Battery did not help, towed it to my indie, fuel pump is dead, car has one replaced around 72,000 miles which VW paid for, not sure what my options are at the moment but a stiff drink is looking pretty good right now.
2 dead fuel pumps is more than ridiculous in 130,000 miles

Hoping the best for you

More and more (In my personal final decision) ~~ take the BB

And get a gasser

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Suggestions?
If you know a good indy shop, see what's the most bare-bones repair they can do that will get it running for an hour. At a minimum, a used HPFP install, and probably injector cleaning, would be required, but you might be able to get away with only that. Then park the car, tow it to the dealer, and drive it only as much as they require to see that it can run.

Smithers

Veteran Member
If you know a good indy shop, see what's the most bare-bones repair they can do that will get it running for an hour. At a minimum, a used HPFP install, and probably injector cleaning, would be required, but you might be able to get away with only that. Then park the car, tow it to the dealer, and drive it only as much as they require to see that it can run.
The only indy I know and trust is nearly 100 miles away.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Well, it's unlikely that anyone can recommend a shop near "Lower Slobovia." (I like the "Lil Abner" reference.) You might want to share more information on your location in case someone here has a recommendation.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Which is why I parked my Golf at 135k miles and only drove it to the dealer at turn in. Sucks to be you bro. My only suggestion at this point is to replace the pump with a used one, clean the injectors, and hope it runs enough to limp it into the dealership.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
NE Illinois/SE Wisconsin. We moved here from Slobovia in 2004.
Op here sorry your got bite by the HPFP, you gotta go the indie route, 2 options how far will the Vw roadside towing go ? I think they added it w your signup for the goodwill cards (?) or get AAA plus which would get you 100 miles of towing, find a used pump and used injectors and replace them, then setup your buyback appointment w the closest dealer to your indie, I got my car running again for about $1200 but that was with a donated used pump, but my guess is labor is more pricey in metro ny than where you are, vw corp will do nothing for you, I was lucky in that I had another car to drive when my Tdi died, feel free to PM me if you need more info, good luck.

PoundSand

TDI
none
well, looks like i'm in the same situation. >=-(

op mentioned several offers for a hpfp - please pm me if you have a good used pump. gah.

(this is 2nd one, 2010 tdi, 165k miles)
Just a follow-up -bought a set of used parts (pump, injectors, lines) from a member here ($500), and after much procrastinating, finally admitted to myself that I wasnt going to do it myself, so brought it to a indie shop who knocked out the 'diy' procedure for me. They charged ~1300 total to tow, swap out parts, clean tank and lines, and new fuel filter. They were skeptical, but it turned out well, and I turned the car in yesterday.

No Pressure

TDI
2009 JSW
HPFP failure

I am in the same boat with my 2009 JSW. Hours after I uploaded my notarized buyback agreement, the HPFP self-destructed. Luckily, I was able to pull in to a parking lot. The car still ran but sounded awful. I had it towed to my local indie shop who confirmed what I feared. Was thinking that I would tow it a block from the dealer and try to turn it in, but it no longer starts. I am encouraged by others that have done the minimum to get their TDIs running and turned them in.
I already miss my JSW :(

UPDATE:
Bought a used HPFP off ebay and my indie installed it, flushed the lines, and replaced the fuel filter. The car started and ran a bit rough. Towed it 2 blocks from the dealer, drove it in, and completed the buy back.

Last edited:

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
My 2012 JSW is getting more and more difficult to start, which I understand may be a sympton of a failing HPFP. I'm having my dealer look at it tomorrow.

I need this car to make it through end of summer.

Last edited:

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
What’s the warranty on this major part that can fail before turn in?
I’m at 58k on a 2013 .... is this covered under a warranty ?
I’m trying to
Hold on until Nov

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
What’s the warranty on this major part that can fail before turn in?
I’m at 58k on a 2013 .... is this covered under a warranty ?
I’m trying to
Hold on until Nov
It's well beyond where my car currently is (82K) -- I don't recall the exact numnber but you're fine. (It has been extended by VW beyond the original warranty). I"m sure someone here can give you the number.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
VW extended the warranty, but not for all cars. Based on the thread below, it was 2009 to 2012, not 2013 and beyond.
VW extended warranty on HPFP
This is correct: our '13 Passat has extended warranties, but only on the turbocharger, DEF pump, and heater core (and I know that the heater core warranty is VIN specific, and for whatever reason doesn't cover ALL 2013s). The HPFP / fuel system is not covered by any extended warranty, AFAIK.
The warranty situation is complex, and of course none of the above covers the topic of post-fix warranties. Don't guess, know what your warranties are.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^Interestingly, even the dealer doesn't know what's covered after the fix. They said there are over 200 pages and even when you look carefully it's hard or impossible to find the answer. They had to call VW, which they did, and it all worked out for me. I got a new exhaust manifold on the warranty after the fix. I had the P2001 code.

Other good news, there was no comment about having an upgraded CP3 pump with the extra filter and no auxiliary pump. In my eyes, it was a good day for VW and my dealer! It was also a good day for me!

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Dealer tells me HPFP is ok but I need a new fuel return line check valve (around $550 parts & labor (actually that includes labor cost of mounting and balancing a tire on a wheel) and not covered by the HPFP warranty). I'm not thrilled but it's not a disaster and I'm glad I brought the car in. My main concern is I need this car running through end of summer (when my son heads off to college), and then I will sell it back to VW. (My fear is having the HPFP fail catasrophically and then VW denying warrantyh coverage because I tuned the car.)

Edit -- is this a ridiculous overcharge? I know they spent time both yesterday and today diagnosing the issue.

Last edited: