Race pipe with anti shutter

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
I'm doing this for a few reasons and mostly not just to make it an EGR delete. I want to try and offer people as many options for this as possible. One of the options i'm going to offer is different size pipes all made to order ranging from stock to what ever size you want to run your intercooler piping.

Also if you look in the stock ALH EGR valve the inlet size tapers down so there is a small off restriction in your EGR valve. Then add on the EGR portions for another small amount of restriction. Im not saying you will see crazy amounts of power from deleting your EGR in anyway. I do believe how ever there will be some sorta improvement by reducing any form of possible restriction. I also believe it will be a more noticeable improvement on a car that is heavily modded IE turbo, nozzles, intercooler and tune not a stock car.

I also have unlimited access to a dyno that i can use to see if there is if any power gain from having the race pipe.

The other thing im going to be doing is making the butterfly and shaft out of heat treatable stainless so in case you ever do have a run away you know the butterfly and shaft will be super strong and not fail. There will also be an 1/8" NPT fitting to be used how ever you wish. I can also offer anodizing and laser engraving. I have access to a lot of equipment and i don;t plan for this to be my only project that i could offer to people here as well.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
When you have finished your testing phase and are ready to take orders, don't forget to get yourself registered as a TDIClub vendor.

Thank you.

:)

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Sign me up. The reason I won't get rid of my EGR is because I like the bit of insurance of the ASV in the case of a runaway, and in particular, when I turn the engine off I want it OFF right away with no shuddering.

I spent too many years with older gas engined, carburreted cars that would "diesel", especially when hot.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
When you have finished your testing phase and are ready to take orders, don't forget to get yourself registered as a TDIClub vendor.

Thank you.

:)
Absolutely

Posted from my phone font looks big

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
The BRM intake is the same as a PD150, so I'd take one of those for sure.

I just run a pd130 EGR valve.

I bet Ryanp at darkside or Franz could get one to your door for less than $75
I can't see how a you could make one of these for less.
They are 85 pounds from Ryan, which is $112 US dollars plus shipping from across the pond.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Turn this into a stronger runaway shut off valve voila, even more sales! Wonder if you can get a tuner to force the ASV butterfly shut for a longer period with the IGN turned to off.

Good luck

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
Turn this into a stronger runaway shut off valve voila, even more sales! Wonder if you can get a tuner to force the ASV butterfly shut for a longer period with the IGN turned to off.

Good luck

I have a few ideals about ways to make it work better then stock. One way i was thinking is to put a heavy spring on the rod so when vacuum is removed from the valve it slams shut instead of open. This way your not relying on vacuum to close the valve but a spring that has better force. You can also play with the diaphragm size to get more force to be applied to the valve.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
if the pivot is in the middle of the butterfly, there is NO force on it as each half balances the other. The only loading is bearing friction.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I have a few ideals about ways to make it work better then stock. One way i was thinking is to put a heavy spring on the rod so when vacuum is removed from the valve it slams shut instead of open. This way your not relying on vacuum to close the valve but a spring that has better force. You can also play with the diaphragm size to get more force to be applied to the valve.
You would have to reprogram the signal to the ASV to do this.
In stock form, absence of signal is what opens the ASV to normal flow.

Last edited:

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
if the pivot is in the middle of the butterfly, there is NO force on it as each half balances the other. The only loading is bearing friction.
You are absolutely right.

You would have to reprogram the signal to the ASV to do this.
In stock form, absence of signal is what opens the ASV to normal flow.
Yes that is true, i believe it could be reprogramed with a tune. I could also build a small inline curcuit that changes the signal coming out of the ecu. It would be very easy to build really.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Reversing the stock ASV logic would mean any control failure would kill the engine. Not the safest thing to have happen in traffic at speed. This was likely a design consideration when VW made the ASV normally open instead of normally closed. Just sayin'.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
Reversing the stock ASV logic would mean any control failure would kill the engine. Not the safest thing to have happen in traffic at speed. This was likely a design consideration when VW made the ASV normally open instead of normally closed. Just sayin'.
Yes i agree, i was more of just shooting out ideas.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Subscribed as I am interested in a longer closed ASV at engine shut down.

Here are some pics of my modified EGR unit on the ALH in my Vanagon.

Below, is a pic of the EGR installed early on before my project was finished.

I cannot remember for sure, but I think I did remove some of the material inside the assembly down stream of the ASV.

I do get a DTC occasionally due to the EGR delete (software mod and literally).

Last edited:

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
Very nice work there, i should be able to come up with something that will help keep it closed longer. I have a few thoughts on how to do it but im going to keep tjose ones to myself until i have a finished unit.

On another note i ordered material to build the housing and butterfly last night. Still deciding on a company to use for the ball bearings and seals for the rod. Im hoping to have it work with the factory ASV actuator to keep cost down but if not i can build them also.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Seems a filtered source of air up-stream of the EGR from the air filter could be used to replace the exhaust gases during a duty-cycle of the EGR (would require some new plumbing). That would fool the MAF sensor so that there would not be a CEL thrown. Of course, I guess that deletion could be programmed out... not really sure!

Thoughts!

Last edited:

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
Quick update material is do in tomorrow hoping to also be getting a ALH egr to get flange dimensions from.

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
I have a modified ALH egr just like the one I posted above. The flange is untouched. Will that work?

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
I have a modified ALH egr just like the one I posted above. The flange is untouched. Will that work?
Yes I have a guy who is supposed to be coming out this way in a few days. I've also been looking at coming up with a way to make the avs stay closed until you go to turn the car on. The valve will still operate in the same manner as stock meaning when you apply vacuum to the valve it closes the butterfly. I've found a way the I believe will work 100% and doesn't require any extra parts. I'm going to keep it a secret for now until I talk to a few of the tdi tuners as it would require a very simple reprogramming.

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
Well if you need me to send it to you, let me know. Or I can take measurements and send them to you. I work in a mechanical and electrical R&D lab so I have access to all equipment and drafting software.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Well if you need me to send it to you, let me know. Or I can take measurements and send them to you. I work in a mechanical and electrical R&D lab so I have access to all equipment and drafting software.
You can just trace it and send him the paper. Easy and faster.
That's how I scanned the dimensions to my CAD program.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
I need a few more dimensions then just the flange. Plus I need the vacuum valve that operates the butterfly.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Subscribed as I am interested in a longer closed ASV at engine shut down.
Just remove the vacuum dashpot and install a constant duty soleniod in its place, powered off the fuel shutoff solenoid.

Spring it so it's normally closed. Solenoid opens it when key on.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
Just remove the vacuum dashpot and install a constant duty soleniod in its place, powered off the fuel shutoff solenoid.
Spring it so it's normally closed. Solenoid opens it when key on.
I have a way that uses stock parts and keeps it normally open when there's no vacuum applied.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi

So I want to put a one way valve inline with the asv so that it will stay closed but I want to tee into the line before the check valve to the egr. I wanna program the ecu so that when you shut the car off the asv stays closed then once you go to cycle the key on again the egr valve releases the vacuum on the asv to let the motor start and run.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
So finally an update with some photos, I got a gift today one in the mail from a forum member here and another from a friend who found his old one from when he delete his EGR. Just some quick photos of the EGRs i got with some calipers. :cool:

See all that light around the butterfly :( thats no good there should be very little light seen all around.
Now the next photos show how ****ty the air flow really is in the factory egr valve. Now before you all go and start saying its not that bad and blah blah blah. Your wrong but right, is it the biggest chock point on these motor NO but non the less its an area for improvement. Even thought the bulk of the EGR mass in the pipe are on the sides it still inhibits air flow as it causes turbulent air flow. The most important thing to get as much air in the engine is to keep as much laminar flow into it as possible.

Now for those of you who keep saying your EGR doesnt clog up your intake with the new ULSD i call BS. This valve came off my friends TDI and we cleaned this 10 months ago 12k miles.

Here is the egr inlet ID and the outlet ID

I should have a complete model finished with in a couple of days, im also going to make it so all the bearings and seals are serviceable and bought from Mcmaster carr.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
So here is the flange all said and done, tomorrow i should have more of the parts done. I added a 1/16 NPT for a boost source onto the top the flange let me know what you guys think of its location.