Disconnected battery, reconnected engine won't start

TDICrazier

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
Disconnected battery, after reconnected engine won't start

I am stuck! Need help urgently. This is on my 2006 Jetta TDI.

I was trying to replace the driver door master lock/unlock switch, so I disconnected the negative connector on the battery.
Then took all screws out of the door panel, realized it won't come off easily and would need a clip remover so I simply put the screws back in.

I reconnected the battery. It's about 10 minutes between the time I disconnected the cable and the time I reconnected it. When I turn the key to pre-heat position, no any readings on the cluster, ie. cluster was completely dead. Continued to turn the key to start, the engine started but shut off in 2-3 seconds.

On the radio screen, it asks for code. I have the 4 digits radio code but unable to enter it. On the screen it says "Safe 1". I am not sure if this is for the radio or for the cluster. In the past, the knobs below the radio screen showed number "1, 2... 9, 0" so I selected the numbers. Now the numbers are gone...

But other places do have power, such as headlights, door lights, "Passenger airbag off", etc. The battery has 12.6v.

I checked each and every fuse in the fuse box at the driver side of dash board, fuses are good. Does this sound like an immobilizer thing? Could you guys give some suggestions or guidance? Big thanks!!

Last edited: