Royal Purple Cetane Boost/Diesel Conditioner

drakeMK5

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Need to grab some more diesel conditioner and noticed some new royal purple max cetane stuff at Canadian Tire. Its $20 and I think it only treats around 600L but have heard great things about royal purple products. Has anyone tried it? Thinking about giving it a try over PS which I regularly buy.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I've always thought of Royal Purple products as overpriced/over marketed snake oil. At almost 3 times the price of PS with probably pretty close to the same formula as PS.

I would just stick with PS. Even though RP wants you to think differently, there is no magic in a bottle of additive.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I've always thought of Royal Purple products as overpriced/over marketed snake oil. At almost 3 times the price of PS with probably pretty close to the same formula as PS.

I would just stick with PS. Even though RP wants you to think differently, there is no magic in a bottle of additive.
You might be right but PS doesn't use the magic elixir of purple dye :cool:

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Check out a Ford dealer. They have a diesel fuel Cetane boost/conditioner , a 20 oz bottle for some $15.00 taxes included. I find it works very well. Car run much better. Lots of Ford dealers around so much easier to get. I also run 2 stroke "ashless" oil from Wally Mart in the fuel too. The Cetane treats some 120 gals US. I have tried PS and find it works only ok, nothing great. Try the Ford, you just might like.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
You might be right but PS doesn't use the magic elixir of purple dye :cool:
I think the one thing above anything else that leads me to believe that RP is snake oil is the purple dye. Really? Dying something purple in some way validates it as a product that should be taken seriously............

The Ford product might be the way to go although it does cost a little more than PS.

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
RP's product has a high percentage of 2-EHN. Try it and see if there's any difference.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I guess the thing to do here is find out the percentage of 2-EHN is in each of these products and then do the math as for cost per amount. 2-EHN is 2-EHN no mater if it's marketed by PS, RP, ford, Redline, Optilube or other additive blenders. In then end it about how much does it cost you to raise the cetane to whatever level you so desire. They all probably purchase the 2-EHN from a very few suppliers such as Lubrizol or Infineum. Distilled water is distilled water, ethanol is ethanol etc. no mater what super duper name you label it with.

Last edited:

RJFCO

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 2015 TDI Passat
Royal Purple products always meet are exceed my expectations. I have heard several people rave about their Max Clean and Max Tane products! All you can do is try it and see for yourself!

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Royal Purple products always meet are exceed my expectations. I have heard several people rave about their Max Clean and Max Tane products! All you can do is try it and see for yourself!
In a thread that is almost been dead a year....
One tip.
A product you can use on every tank is more useful than a product that costs more than the fuel it treats in the tank...
Fuel treatment should be a couple cents per gallon, not $$ per gallon.
That's the joke here...no matter how good it is, WILL ALMOST DOUBLE YOUR FUEL COST...
Oh yeah.and be cool shade of purple!!

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
The big question here is what are your expectations? How were they exceeded. Data talks Bull $hit walks. This is classic BS "I have heard" Nothing in your statements is quantified. Try it and see What?