www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi A3

Audi A3 Discussions area for Audi A3 TDI (2010+ in Canada & the US).

Old April 8th, 2017, 16:09   #16
COcyclist

Fuel Economy: 52 mpg lifetime ave.

We have decided to keep ours. It is a 2011 so hopefully it will only require a software fix. We will get a Malone tune now instead of waiting to see what VW comes up with. A pickup backed into the driver door last spring so we were given a new Toyota Camry rental car while the A3 was in the shop. Hated it. There isn't anything else that is as fun to drive, comfortable and efficient as the A3 TDI for our mountain west driving.

It saddens me to think of sending this car we love to the crusher.
Old April 13th, 2017, 18:39   #17
PeteZ06
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '11 A3 TDI

If your car doesn't have urea injection then there will be no fix.
PeteZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 05:51   #18
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZ06 View Post
If your car doesn't have urea injection then there will be no fix.
(citation needed)

Otherwise, stop posting opinions as fact.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW DSG, 1 x 2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 19:41   #19
PeteZ06
Veteran Member

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...and-which-cant

I'm not saying there won't be a fix for TDIs without urea injection because of this article but because its common sense. They're having a hard enough of a time getting these cars to pass with urea injection that without makes it impossible.

I've been saying this all along, you'll see, at the last minute they'll announce that certain models won't offer a fix and a buyback will be the only option.
Malone Stage2, DSG Tune
http://www.crperformancellc.com
Old April 15th, 2017, 15:25   #20
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZ06 View Post
That article depends on the demonstrably incorrect assumption that, in order to be approved, the modification must bring the cars into full compliance. The DOJ settlement clearly sets out the standards that the modification must meet, it also sets out (at least roughly) the form that the modification will take. No cars are getting DEF systems added, and that's been known to anyone who bothered to read the court documents since last June.

I'm not particularly invested one way or the other in whether a fix is approved, but I'd prefer not to see opinion and speculation presented as fact.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW DSG, 1 x 2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 18:53   #21
PeteZ06
Veteran Member

ok... time will tell.
Malone Stage2, DSG Tune
http://www.crperformancellc.com
Old April 18th, 2017, 06:43   #22
doc5339

We are probably going to keep ours. We were going the BuyBack route, but apparently we bought the car a bit too late. After signing up for the Takata class action suit, VAG finally contacted us for an "interim" airbag inflator replacement.

The airbag recall was our biggest issue, so we might be one of the few A3 TDI owners left when it's all said and done.
doc5339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 10:16   #23
SS930
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2009 Jetta = 44 MPG, 2015 A3 = 46 MPG

I'm quite possibly going to keep my 2015 A3, although I've already given the 2009 Jetta back to them.

I've recently added some ST coilovers to the A3, it's almost perfect now. With that said, I will explore tuning options. I'd hate to give it back!
1999.5 Jetta TDI (6sp MT) - GONE
1999.5 Jetta TDI (6sp MT) - GONE
SS930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 04:57   #24
doc5339

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
We have decided to keep ours. It is a 2011 so hopefully it will only require a software fix. We will get a Malone tune now instead of waiting to see what VW comes up with. A pickup backed into the driver door last spring so we were given a new Toyota Camry rental car while the A3 was in the shop. Hated it. There isn't anything else that is as fun to drive, comfortable and efficient as the A3 TDI for our mountain west driving.

It saddens me to think of sending this car we love to the crusher.
What does opting for the "fix" (not debating efficacy of any proposed fix) entail as far as financial compensation, and emissions warranty? I have been searching a good bit, however, the total package seems a but murky to me.
doc5339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 19:59   #25
COcyclist

Fuel Economy: 52 mpg lifetime ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc5339 View Post
What does opting for the "fix" (not debating efficacy of any proposed fix) entail as far as financial compensation, and emissions warranty? I have been searching a good bit, however, the total package seems a but murky to me.
We got a gray 29 page booklet from VAG "Volkswagen and Audi 2.0-liter TDI Diesel Emissions Settlements" last fall. Our car had just over 60,000 miles at the time. We could have gotten $25,876 if we took the buyback and $6,871 cash and we keep the car but only if we submit to the emission fix. I believe it also included and extended waranty on emissions equipment and even engine damage from the "fix" IIRC.

The "cheat" to get our car to meet EPA emissions testing involved the CPU detecting when the car was on the EPA testing dynamometer, namely no steering inputs and only the front wheels turning, and the car computer would de-tune the engine. It got worse mileage and was down on power but was able to pass the tailpipe test. To my mind, getting the car to pass emissions standards now should be no more difficult than telling the computer to run like it is on the EPA dyno all the time. However, as of today, April 2017 we are still waiting to hear if the fix has been approved by the EPA and CARB.

Last edited by COcyclist; April 25th, 2017 at 20:01.
COcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote