Is there any way of marking my turbo?

thesmileyone

TDI
2007 A3 s-tronic 140
I have been messed around SO MUCH by garages in the past (including audi main dealer) that I am worried that my new turbo won't get fitted to my car... that they might steal it... I know, lol right?

But srs is there any way I can mark it to be sure? Chisel or something?

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Easy. People use spring loaded punches to put marks on metal items, such as blocks, heads, wheels, turbos etc.
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-6580-Automatic-Center-Punch/dp/B0037UUO60
One dot at a time, just like a dot matrix printer. You dont want to use a chisel and pound on the turbo. You can alternatively use an engraving tool or almost any other rotary tool with a hard bit to write your name in cursive on the housing, if you'd like.
Also, not really a question for the power section.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Your old one will be rusty
your new one will not be rusty

thesmileyone

TDI
2007 A3 s-tronic 140
Easy. People use spring loaded punches to put marks on metal items, such as blocks, heads, wheels, turbos etc.
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-6580-Automatic-Center-Punch/dp/B0037UUO60
One dot at a time, just like a dot matrix printer. You dont want to use a chisel and pound on the turbo. You can alternatively use an engraving tool or almost any other rotary tool with a hard bit to write your name in cursive on the housing, if you'd like.
Also, not really a question for the power section.
This won't punch through the housing will it, just mark the outside?

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Mark by scratching your initial in with a sharp nail, or so

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
This won't punch through the housing will it, just mark the outside?
Not even a bit. The housing is thick metal and the punch essentially puts a small divet into the surface. You're safe doing that. Depending on the punch, they leave small marks like this(pic found on the internet)

No worries on the turbo casting.