www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > West Coast Canada/USA

West Coast Canada/USA Local discussions for those on the West Coast of Canada and the US.

Old April 14th, 2017, 16:46   #31
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.jackson9213 View Post
Why start with cheap politicians?

For a high school civics class project, I walked up to the personal residence of a United States Senator and knocked on the door and asked to speak with him. His 90 year old mom told me Tom was not at home - he was working in Washington. That was Thomas Kechel. Bet you can not do that today!

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory...chelThomas.htm

I wonder how Kuchel would have fared against "Ol' Chrome Dome" in the '68 General Election.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 18:31   #32
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee View Post
First of all, thank you for your service if you are actually a jarhead. (If not, )
Secondly, if you are and are still serving or honorably discharged, you are likely a
recipient of some medical and pension benefits. If so, does your post apply to you?
So what's with the anti-union rhetoric? Do you feel the same about unions for
law enforcement, fire fighters and teachers? How about Teamsters? Auto workers?
Why not just boycott every product that has union labor producing it like mine:
the IATSE? (Look it up).
We set the standard for quality work world-wide in a very competitive industry.
My family has the benefits it needs because of my union.
I'll know in a couple years how sweetheart my pension is or isn't.

In the interests of civil discourse I should have perhaps omitted my union comment. Especially since my brother and a very good friend of mine are both shop stewards.

When taxes are brought up everyone has their opinions and of course conversation can lead into other less civil areas. I can see taxes needing to be raised once in a while. However the graft and corruption and flat out bribery that goes on, not with a politicians own money but with money that is collected from you and me is appalling.

Every time you hear of a carve out, set aside, kickback, project in His district, or other similar euphemism that's just a fancy window dressing term for a bribe. In the political realm that's your money being used to bribe someone with. I know that's the way things are done, everyone knows it, but it doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it. That's what I meant when I said at least half the country is sick and tired of the same old way of doing things.

No pension here. I'm afraid I'm on my own in that respect.

Medical benefits? Well I had to do something at the end of last year I said I'd never do. Sign up with the VA after all these years. Why? Well with all the health care meddling over the past eight years my health insurance premiums went from around $600 a month to over $2000 a month. Expensive to unaffordable. Deductibles went from $750 for a family per year to over $3000 per individual and over $7000 for a family.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 10:04   #33
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

jarhead,

I blame the drug companies for soaring medical costs. What they charge is incredible!.. The same old line chemo therapy drug what was $2500 in 2002/3 is now billed at $10K+ (per dose). And there is the shell game of different "negotiated" prices. This is for a drug developed in the 1970's and approved in the 1980's (carboplatin). I have personal experience with that one. Other, much worse examples have been in the news recently.

A long way from Calif. gas/diesel taxes and road repairs, I know. A good time for me to exit this topic and get back to real life. Got house work!
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is online now   Reply With Quote