Need help

Gabealtland

TDI
2004 golf 1.9t tdi
I have a 2004 Volkswagen Golf tdi and about 2 weeks ago we think the turbo went out. My brother was driving it and was going up a hill and heard a loud noise and it lost all power. Once we got it home we checked it out and it doesn’t have any boost at all. It’s also letting out a lot of black smoke when you give it more throttle. But my dad said it should’ve thrown a code but it never did. Any help will be appreciated thank you.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Open the hood and check for a boost pipe popped off.

Search "dog collar" here. That would be my first guess.

Gabealtland

TDI
2004 golf 1.9t tdi
Where should I check I’m sorry I don’t know a lot about TDIs and turbo chargers. I would like to learn though. Where should it popped off at from?

Gabealtland

TDI
2004 golf 1.9t tdi
I don’t know if this will help but 2 months before it lost boost the turbo got louder. So could that mean there is a leak somewhere?

oilhammer

TDI
That's possibly your problem. If it is loose and cocked off to one side and spewing oil from the breather, it is for sure leaking boost.

You can have another boost leak down low, to and from the charge air cooler behind the LF corner of the bumper too.

Gabealtland

TDI
2004 golf 1.9t tdi
That's possibly your problem. If it is loose and cocked off to one side and spewing oil from the breather, it is for sure leaking boost.
You can have another boost leak down low, to and from the charge air cooler behind the LF corner of the bumper too.
Ok thanks I’ll check it out. But is it possible to lose all boost from that one spot?

Gabealtland

TDI
2004 golf 1.9t tdi
And where else do I check at? I see the hose go to something then it goes down to the bottom left of the car. If I make sense when I say that.

oilhammer

TDI
All it takes is one spot to lose boost, yes.

The turbo is on the back side of the engine....coming out of that the charge air tract goes into the passenger front wheel well area, down to the charge air cooler, then back up and across above the belt area to the intake.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
You'll have to get the front end of the car (safely) up a bit, possibly remove the belly pan, and then follow the paths of all of those big-looking hoses to see if any have popped loose.

That said, yes, one leak will do it... so you could try re-attaching the one you already know is loose and see if your symptoms go away. It should 'click' into place and resist being tugged apart.

Also worth noting that the connections tend to pop loose because they are worn; so whatever you re-install may pop loose again in the near future.

As oilhammer mentioned, "dog collar" is the search term to use to find out about an after-market clamp that can be used over the existing one. Cheaper than replacing the factory hose.

Gabealtland

TDI
2004 golf 1.9t tdi
It seems like it’s only from that one spot. But it won’t hurt to replace the other spot. Could you send me links for replacing them.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Don't know of any threads on how to replace specific boost hoses.. you really just need to follow the hoses and investigate in person. A flashlight can help.

oilhammer

TDI
My dad said that it can’t be the lines because the turbo isn’t spooling up. What could that mean?
It means your dad should stay out of it. This is getting ridiculous. I could have that car diagnosed in 2 minutes. It's a charge air leak. :rolleyes: