Reverse lights on when car is off

Xtweet

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
2015 Jetta TDI: My battery was dead after the car sat for 3 days at an airport. It took a while to jumpstart. When I got home and locked the car, I noticed my REVERSE LIGHTS were still on (ignition off, FOB in my pocket, all doors locked). The illuminated reverse lights were definitely the cause of the dead battery.

I later noticed the reverse lights stay on even when I'm driving in forward gear.

I'm thinking a stuck reverse sensor switch on my manual transmission but I wouldn't think a faulty switch would keep the lights on after turning the motor off and locking all the doors. Your thoughts?

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Todd

Last edited:

Screamscape

TDI
2014 Jetta
Same here

I've got the same problem now in my 2014 TDI Jetta.

Can't for the life of me get the reverse lights to turn off. They are on 24 / 7
no matter if the car is running or parked and locked up for the night.

Only thing I could do was pull the bulbs as I figured it would kill my battery eventually, so what was the solution and cost to fix?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Pretty bizarre issue. From what I understand, even on the manual transmission cars, the power to the reverse switch is on terminal 15, which is ignition switched power.

Furthermore, the signal from the reverse light switch goes into the J519, central electric module. The central electric module is what sends the power to the reverse lights directly.

So, either you have a combination of a bad switch stuck on AND the ignition switch telling the J519 that terminal 15 is still active, or the J519 itself is bad or miscoded somehow.

Rorusb

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
Did anyone ever figure this out, I have the same problem. Tested the reverse switch, it is working 100% When I turn the car off, reverse lights stay on, always, Car on, car off, reverse or not, had to pull the bulbs, but hate the fact that it isnt working correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!