2004 Jetta TDI sport PD timing belt change.

TDI MkIV

TDI
2004 Jetta Sport TDI PD
Hello everyone,

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section, I am very new to the forums.

Anyway, I recently purchased a 2004 Jetta sport, TDI which needs the timing belt replaced. I found a kit that includes the tensioners and the water pump. about $420 CAD.

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but is that a good price for a kit? It seems to include everything needed. I managed to find it cheaper online, this is through a parts shop.

Also, are the impellers on the water pumps interchangeable? Can I replace a water pump with a plastic impeller, with a metal one? I'm not sure which impeller my car has, I haven't ordered the kit yet, as I wanted to sort out this impeller problem beforehand, lol.

Thanks for your time.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Plastic to metal, yes. Do a search on here. Oh and go with our trusted vendors. There are some bad parts and vendors out there so stick with we know is good

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
where did you find it? seems a bit steep for the PD engine TB kit

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Hello everyone,
I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section, I am very new to the forums.
Anyway, I recently purchased a 2004 Jetta sport, TDI which needs the timing belt replaced. I found a kit that includes the tensioners and the water pump. about $420 CAD.
I hope this isn't a dumb question, but is that a good price for a kit? It seems to include everything needed. I managed to find it cheaper online, this is through a parts shop.
Also, are the impellers on the water pumps interchangeable? Can I replace a water pump with a plastic impeller, with a metal one? I'm not sure which impeller my car has, I haven't ordered the kit yet, as I wanted to sort out this impeller problem beforehand, lol.
Thanks for your time.
This one is $204 USD which is $276 CDN.

https://www.idparts.com/timing-belt-bewtbkit-p-511.html

TDI MkIV

TDI
2004 Jetta Sport TDI PD
The kit is from CarQuest, it's the OEM timing belt kit. The kit includes the tensioners and camshaft seal, as well and engine mount bolts. Sadly, I realized too late that there are definitely more cost effective options. lol.

Oh well.

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Roseland Technical Services (www.roselandtech.ca) has a very high-quality OEM BEW kit at a very reasonable price...and they are just a couple provinces to your left. :)

https://roselandtech.ca/timing-belt-kit-bundle-bew

(final price depends on what extras you order... you'll need motor mount bolts for sure)

Impellers are interchangable.. most people opting for a metal impeller if they can.

Last edited:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
The kit is from CarQuest, it's the OEM timing belt kit. The kit includes the tensioners and camshaft seal, as well and engine mount bolts. Sadly, I realized too late that there are definitely more cost effective options. lol.

Oh well.
I am surprised it would come with the motor mount bolts. I was under the impressions those bolts are typically sourced through VW and added to a kit from the online TDI sites.