2009 2.0L TDI into anything else

MunchausenDrive

Veteran Member
TDI
None... yet
This will all be speculation, but what will the likely pitfalls be of squeezing new 2.0L tdi from a jetta into an older chasis like a 2002 golf, jetta, or GTI.

For this hypothetical let's assume that one has access to a full donor car with ecu, pedal cluster, wiring harness etc.

Munchausen

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
#1- this car will likely use EDC17 engine management which has not yet been cracked.

#2- The emissions systems will present a lot of problems for you.

My solution would likely be to convert back to an EDC15 common rail system from some other European car and make a custom harness. It would be A LOT of work....and it is somewhat questionable how well it would work.

Another option might be standalone....some systems may be able to support the common rail system.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Swap the entire car inside and out is the other option, but one that I would recomend unless you have lots of time/talent.

MunchausenDrive

Veteran Member
TDI
None... yet
Thanks for the thoughts. It will probably make more sense simply to wait for VWoA to sell the new 2.0L TDI in something other than the jetta....

I figured the Exhaust components would be cumbersome, but hadn't thought about the engine managment system.

would a salvaged 2006 or newer rabbit or GTI serve a as a donor body...

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
MunchausenDrive said:
would a salvaged 2006 or newer rabbit or GTI serve a as a donor body...
This would for the most part be a straight forward swap as I imagine there are not many chnages in the mk5 shell over the 2-3 years.

If you were swapping into anything other then a Mk5 the exhaust would be the most straight forward part of the swap.

MunchausenDrive

Veteran Member
TDI
None... yet
Thanks for the replies. I the best bet would be to buy a TDI rabbit or GTI straight from VW if they bring them to the states.

Here's hoping that they do.

Even better would be a production version of the Audi A3 cludsport TDI. Now that would be sweet!