MERCEDES-BENZ AMG DIESEL!!

loggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf-02-Indigo Blue
<font color="blue"> is one sweet car! </font>
This

The combustion engine developed by Rudolf Diesel in 1936 celebrated its premiere in a Mercedes-Benz. In the year 2002 it is in peak form … in a Mercedes AMG.

This new competitor boasts a number of pioneering innovations, from the engine's mechanical system, its new ignition system and the electronics in the engine-management system.

The result: immense power, tremendous torque and unlimited driving pleasure. The 3-liter, 5-cylinder engine generates 170 kW (231 HP) of power and delivers an incredible 540 Nm of torque at just 2000 rpm.

Willy den CGI

Veteran Member
Mercedes just got a serious problem.
Audi is launching a 4 liter V8 TDI with 275 hp and twisting 650 Nm.

Acceleration 0-80 km/h /4.5 0-100 km/h in sec.: / 6.7

6-speed tiptronic with DSP and additional sport program.

650 Newton metres not only make the A8 4.0 TDI quattro the highest-torque Audi in existence, but put it right at the top of its class. The 4.0 TDI engine is currently the highest-powered, highest-torque V8 diesel engine in any production saloon car.
from an excellent site
RS6.com

My Audi/VW-enginepage

jrivers804

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1998, White
Well, when was the last time Mercedes sent a manual transmission diesel to the States? I am an unregenerated stick snob. No stick, no sale. IF the Merecedes is available with a true manual transmission, NOT a "manumatic" then I would take a look at it. Of course I have a hard time justifying paying over 30k for a car, even though I could afford it. I am not happy about paying over 20k for the next TDI. Again, not a matter of what I could swing, more a matter of an idea.

jrivers804

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1998, White
In case there is a language barrier. When I said "stick snob" I meant manual transmission. I have never bought a car (or truck for that matter) with an automatic transmission. I think the last time Mercedes sold a diesel car in the US with a manual transmission was in 1973 and it might have been earlier than that.

VWannabe

Veteran Member
The new E320CDI coming to the USA in 2004 is rated at 240HP and 377LB-Ft of torque! And this is the stock rating, not an aftermarket tuner or even chipped! I would love to have one of these. I have always liked MB diesels, but the quality and reliability of MB's cars are not what they used to be. A friend of mine is a mechanic at a used MB dealership and he said that as they age, they get really expensive to maintain. It does sound like a great car though. Wonder what the 4L V8 is going to produce?!

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
In case there is a language barrier. When I said "stick snob" I meant manual transmission. I have never bought a car (or truck for that matter) with an automatic transmission. I think the last time Mercedes sold a diesel car in the US with a manual transmission was in 1973 and it might have been earlier than that.

All 240Ds up into the 1980s were available with standard four speed transmissions.

The baby MBZ 190E 2.2 diesels of the mid 1980s came standard with a five-speed (overdrive) tranny. Not only was it much more economical than the older 240 diesels, but considerably quicker also. Should have kept the Gold colored 1985 65 HP model I had.

banzai

Veteran Member
TDI
NB TDI
I think the last GASSERS sold in US with manual was in 1973.

I am seeking a 114/115 sedan with gasser/manual combo- hard to find.