Remote start for 2010 A3

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
I know that the VW dealer will install them on the same year TDIs but has anyone had Audi install them on their A3?

Matatk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 A3 TDI Wagon
I'm looking at putting one on as well, waiting for an estimate from the shop. Not sure if they have a key emulator for our car or if you have to use a spare. That could get pricey.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
I'm looking at putting one on as well, waiting for an estimate from the shop. Not sure if they have a key emulator for our car or if you have to use a spare. That could get pricey.
Did some heavy research on this today and it looks like Fortin is the way to go. http://fortin.ca/en/products/evo-series/evo-one/

Looks like you would be in luck on installers:

A.M. Distributors

1700 Parkes Dr
Broadview, IL, US

Woofer Electronics

4970 North Elston Avenue
Chicago, IL, US

Chicago is the closest to me as well lol

Matatk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 A3 TDI Wagon
Thanks for checking, but did you happen to see this part:

"BYPASS: KEY REQUIRED TRANSPONDER BYPASS BY WRAPPING OF FACTORY KEY. COMPATIBLE WITH ALL VERSIONS OF THE EVO-ONE."

That means you hide your spare key in the dashboard so it has the transponder signal to start.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Thanks for checking, but did you happen to see this part:

"BYPASS: KEY REQUIRED TRANSPONDER BYPASS BY WRAPPING OF FACTORY KEY. COMPATIBLE WITH ALL VERSIONS OF THE EVO-ONE."

That means you hide your spare key in the dashboard so it has the transponder signal to start.
Yes. As far as I could tell that is the only way to get remote start on our cars no matter which brand you choose. Is that what you have found as well?

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
I can't say with certainty. Funny thing is most people say the remote start is a waste of money....except for the guys who have one!

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=339516
Wow what a bunch of whiney *****es. And anyone who says that they don't build heat idling is a moron. I do it all the time we live a half mile from my wife's parents and I hate starting either of our TDIs just to drive that distance and shut them off so I'll start them up 5min before we leave so we'll at least have heat for that short time. I also turn on the AC because that helps put a load on the engine which creates heat. If you are that cheap that you care more about the extra 50¢ of fuel being burned so you don't freeze your butt off you need to get a life. Maybe if they put the same effort into being successful in life as they do trying to be cheap they might actually get somewhere lol

Last edited:

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
I was surprised my Audi for being a fairly expensive car came without remote start and no heated steering wheel.

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
I know my A3 is the "entry level" Audi, but it's still an Audi. My A3 doesn't even have a backup camera, yet 2015 Jettas do...:mad:

Matatk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 A3 TDI Wagon
Sorry it took so long to get back. I talked to my friend who has a shop installing alarms. He said all Audis will need a spare key for the remote start. He has a mobile locksmith who will come provide/cut/program a valet key (not the plastic one) for $95.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Sorry it took so long to get back. I talked to my friend who has a shop installing alarms. He said all Audis will need a spare key for the remote start. He has a mobile locksmith who will come provide/cut/program a valet key (not the plastic one) for $95.
Oh do you not have a valet key to donate?

Have you decided on a system yet?

Matatk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 A3 TDI Wagon
I have the plastic emergency key and two regular keys but I'm not giving one up.

It will be an Avital/DEI system.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
I have the plastic emergency key and two regular keys but I'm not giving one up.

It will be an Avital/DEI system.
Gotcha. Is it this one? http://www.amazon.com/Avital-4103LX-Remote-System-4-Button/dp/B002P4P1G2

I like what I'm reading! It has a valet mode that will let the car run for however minutes you set it to after removing the key! I will never hand my keys to a valet on anything I care about but hey that sounds like a turbo timer to me! Set for 2 minutes or so and no longer have to sit there idling the car down after I've been driving it hard!

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Good deal well keep us posted on how it performs. When do you plan on getting it installed?

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
very interested in this mod - anyone have a report on this or other solutions?

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
thats assuming everyone here thinks the buyback is their best option. i'd like to keep this one for a he long haul - maybe i'll be your guinea ��

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
thats assuming everyone here thinks the buyback is their best option. i'd like to keep this one for a he long haul - maybe i'll be your guinea ��
Yeah who knows. I just hit 200k so to me makes sense to take the fix$$$ and keep on rolling.

Yeah if you do this lmk. That one we were talking about worked for a turbo timer as well.