driver side door wire harness issues...

noairbag

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 06 spice red
Hello,
So today I goto have my 2006 Jettas (90,000 miles) oil changed and end up getting a driver side boot installed aswell because I had a leak for quite a while..
So I asked the tech why he thought my trunk release switch wasn't working for the last couple days and then when shows me the area where the car door attaches to the car where a black plastic shield protects the wires and shows me a wire or two that was split. I ask what it will cost to fix the problem and he says they will need to order a driver side door wire harness which cost $150 and two hours of labor for a grand total of about $325! I thought that was quite steep so I told them no thanks and left..

What are your best thoughts on resolving the issue which since I left the dealer has caused the other funtions such as the window controls to malfunction unless I open the door and slip the wires together.....

Does a wire really cost $150!!! JEEEZUS!

If I order the part do you think I can install the wire harness myself? What special tools might I need to take the door apart?

egibbys

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI GLS
I would say that you could order the part and do it yourself. No special tools are required. Maybe a torx bit or something but that's it. Sounds to me that you could just solder the wires back together and then use some shrink tubing to protect it.

merkerguitars

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta
On those cars door harnesses can be a problem. The tech wasn't talking about splicing new wires in. He was talking about replacing the whole door harness.

egibbys

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI GLS
merkerguitars said:
On those cars door harnesses can be a problem. The tech wasn't talking about splicing new wires in. He was talking about replacing the whole door harness.

Oh I guess I didn't understand that entirely. Wow ya that would be a lot of work.