2.0 Gen 1 fix approved

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Yep, I wasn't aware then that the warranties were different. Thought it was the same for all Gen 1s. Makes me think that VW suspects there will be durability issues with the DSG cars after the flashing. Maybe these new shifting patterns they are speaking of isn't going to be healthy for them long-term.

Last edited:

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
or they calculated these numbers based off the millage reports they asked for in the goodwill program and determined manual vehicles got driven more on average.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I bet they did an analysis that indicated that the dsg cars required more expenditures in warranty repairs.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Post-fix MPG ratings have now been released on fueleconomy.gov
DSG - All gen 1 vehicles except Beetle
City: 29
Highway: 37
Combined: 32
DSG - Beetle hardtop
City: 28
Highway: 40
Combined: 31
DSG - 2014 Beetle convertible
City: 27
Highway: 38
DSG - 2013 Beetle convertible
Highway: 37
Manual - All gen 1 vehicles except Beetle
Highway: 39
Manual - Beetle
Combined: 30
Automatic transmission post-fix MPG ratings
Manual transmission post-fix MPG ratings
These post-fix MPG ratings are pretty dismal. I bet when they talk about a 2 MPG drop in fuel economy, they mean 2 MPG drop from the original sticker MPG stats, not the cheated MPG which is better than advertised. The post-fix MPG states are treading into gas territory!
Manual - All gen 1 vehicles except Beetle
Current Manual Golf TDI - Gen 1 with cheat
City: 36
Highway: 44
Combined: 40
I hand calculate my fuel economy every tank. The absolute worst tank I calculated was 36 MPG and it was all city driving. The best tank I calculated was 48 MPG, all highway driving. I would say, on average my combined is 40 MPG. We are talking about roughly 6-8 MPG drop from the cheated fuel economy!
If a warranty is only 54,000...I drive 20,000/year; that's a 2.5 year warranty with a lifelong 6-8 MPG drop. Honestly, I'm thinking about ignoring the fix and buyback, dropping in a CP3/filter to cover the HPFP worries and continuing to drive my car as-is, since the warranty will expire in 2.5 years.
I planned to drive my TDI 500,000 miles when I bought it. A 54,000 mile warranty is roughly 1/10 what I plan to drive. As tempting as the $5000 reward and warranty may seem, it's not really a longterm support solution that I was hoping for. I might be better off going rouge.
A just think that a 6-8 MPG is BS for the consumer. They are putting the weight of this scandal on the everyday working consumer. I'd rather keep my car as-is and make corporate VW pay a larger fine for my unfixed TDI. Those corporate suits can suck my soot!!!

peteralan

TDI
Audi
or they calculated these numbers based on the mileage reports they asked for in the goodwill program and determined manual vehicles got driven more on average.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW (GoneBack) - replaced with '15 Azera and '16 Fiat 500e.
After seeing these numbers, I'm really happy to have given up 10 mpg to go to a MUCH better vehicle and car company.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Honestly, I'm thinking about ignoring the fix and buyback, dropping in a CP3/filter to cover the HPFP worries and continuing to drive my car as-is, since the warranty will expire in 2.5 years. I planned to drive my TDI 500,000 miles when I bought it. ...I might be better off going rouge...
Depending what state you're in, another going rogue strategy might be to take the fix (and the cash) and then simply get a tune and delete everything with some of the money. No more regens, better mpg, and better performance too! Of course you should also do the CP3 HPFP swap.

That's the strategy I've been leaning toward, already did the CP3. My biggest concern is the clutch after the tune, but it seems others manage having a tune without destroying the clutch. It also wouldn't be horrible to have to get a clutch at some point on the way to 500K miles. I just did brakes, rotors, shocks and struts, and new tires. My 2010 Golf TDI feels very good at 150K miles! I like driving it too much to let it go. It's a great little car!

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
or they calculated these numbers based off the millage reports they asked for in the goodwill program and determined manual vehicles got driven more on average.
Why would that matter? So a car driven more on average is going to wear down parts slower than a car that's driven less on average? I must be missing something.

I bet they did an analysis that indicated that the dsg cars required more expenditures in warranty repairs.
I would tend to agree with this, but since our warranty for the DSG cars doesn't include the transmission at all, how will it cost more? Unless you're talking about the costs associated with the initial emissions modification for DSGs compared to manuals, since it will take longer.....but you said warranty repairs, so me no comprende that either.

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
These post-fix MPG ratings are pretty dismal. I bet when they talk about a 2 MPG drop in fuel economy, they mean 2 MPG drop from the original sticker MPG stats, not the cheated MPG which is better than advertised. The post-fix MPG states are treading into gas territory!
Pure conjecture. There is no reason to believe the results won't just be 2mpg lower than what you currently get. These numbers are 2 mpg lower than the sticker when you bought it. Mileage varies due to how you use your vehicle. Yes, a lot of TDI drivers have a driving profile which yields higher than advertised mileage. Some don't, and some are right on the original sticker numbers. At this point, here's no reason to be comparing your actual numbers to the "new" sticker numbers. I'm sure they are calculated in the same fashion as the original numbers. Do you really think they advertised the original mpg numbers low just so you would be surprised? No, they were based on average driver habits and driving conditions. TDI drivers just happen not to be average.

My pure conjecture is to expect similar, but slightly lower mileage than you currently get.

I have kept detailed records for 135k miles, so I'll have a great comparison to go by once the fix is done. Then we can discuss. And not after the first tank....:rolleyes:

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
I have read all I can find, and no where does it say we are required to repair anything prior to the fix. As far as I can tell, if you have a cracked DPF, they would still be obligated to install the fix, but permitted to leave you with a cracked DPF. There does not appear to be any requirements that your car be tested and "pass" any type of emissions requirements after the fix.

I interpret that as meaning if you tell them to apply the fix, but leave your cracked DPF alone, they will have to do so. I don't think they can make you fix it any more than they can require you to fix it now. However, they may note that and exclude it from the extended warranty.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would tend to agree with this, but since our warranty for the DSG cars doesn't include the transmission at all, how will it cost more? Unless you're talking about the costs associated with the initial emissions modification for DSGs compared to manuals, since it will take longer.....but you said warranty repairs, so me no comprende that either.
It could be that they found in their durability testing of the fix that the dsg cars were harder on the emissions equipment. Or it could be that they found that the dsg cars in general need more $ in warranty repairs of the systems covered by the extended warranty. Or like you said, it could be to defray some of the added cost of fixing the dsg cars due to the reprogramming of the dsg ecu.

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Just got the email from VW... payments for settlement will be etf or check...check will be mailed ( will not get it in person) after fix..great news!

donallen

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6M
Pure conjecture. There is no reason to believe the results won't just be 2mpg lower than what you currently get. These numbers are 2 mpg lower than the sticker when you bought it. Mileage varies due to how you use your vehicle. Yes, a lot of TDI drivers have a driving profile which yields higher than advertised mileage. Some don't, and some are right on the original sticker numbers. At this point, here's no reason to be comparing your actual numbers to the "new" sticker numbers. I'm sure they are calculated in the same fashion as the original numbers. Do you really think they advertised the original mpg numbers low just so you would be surprised? No, they were based on average driver habits and driving conditions. TDI drivers just happen not to be average.

My pure conjecture is to expect similar, but slightly lower mileage than you currently get.

I have kept detailed records for 135k miles, so I'll have a great comparison to go by once the fix is done. Then we can discuss. And not after the first tank....:rolleyes:
Ahh, someone who actually knows how to think about something like this. Rather than speculating and worse, making decisions based on that speculation, data needs to be collected, many data points, not just one, which is what the "And not after the first tank" comment was getting at. Once you have that data, you can start to analyze it and draw conclusions. Drawing conclusions and making decisions without that data is just not smart, to put it generously.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, I'm fairly sure the updated mpg figures are the EPA numbers- determined with the same driving cycle as the original mpg rating. Sounds to me like some people are doing contortions to justify their decision to take the buyback rather than wait for a fix.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I've read a lot of these posts but I'm still not clear on whether or not this allows the bought back cars to be fixed and resold? I'm kind of kicking myself for missing out on the new 2015 feeding frenzy. Then the used 2015's ended up being much worse deals IMO.

Maybe I can find redemption in a fixed gen 2?

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Yes, these are the EPA numbers. And from a marketing standpoint, it's better to say "2mpg less fuel economy" based on the previous EPA numbers, rather than compare the new stats to the cheated fuel economy that should never have existed. VW has proven it's willingness to deceive over and over throughout this scandal. My trust in VW has been compromised and I'm just offering a skeptical viewpoint.
I have no plans to do the buyback and never did. I absolutely love my MK6 Golf TDI. I'm worried that the fix software will be a no-turning-back software flash. Sure, I could possibly get a tune, but that is conjecture to assume that a tune can reprogram the fix legally. I'm speculating here, but my guess is they increased the regeneration-cycle frequencies to fix our cars. IF that is the case, that is more stress on the equipment. Can a tune legally adjust the regen frequencies?
I live in California, so getting a tune and straight pipe is not really a legal option for me. As it stands now, not accepting the fix and continuing to drive the car with it's current software is a legal option for me.
Since the warranty is not as long-term as the life of the car, I'm thinking beyond the warranty. After the $5100 and warranty are long gone, will I be happy with the car??? Or will I be more satisfied with the car with it's cheat-software and CP3???
Sorry for conjecturalizing and contortionalizing. Cheers.

Martin-Harris

TDI
2009 JSW
I've read a lot of these posts but I'm still not clear on whether or not this allows the bought back cars to be fixed and resold? I'm kind of kicking myself for missing out on the new 2015 feeding frenzy. Then the used 2015's ended up being much worse deals IMO.

All bought back cars with an approved fix are allowed to be fixed by VW and resold. Where, when, if they fix and resell is yet to be determined, but VW doesn't have to crush any cars as long as there is an approved fix, which seems to cover 98% of them in the US now.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

VW has not yet received an OK to fix bought back Gen 1 or 2 cars. They are selling bought back Gen 3 cars, as you know. My guess is that the EPA wants to use the repair parts available first in cars that are in use, then will allow cars that have been turned in to be fixed. So that may take a little while.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Takes at least 3 weeks from the fix announcement for them to submit and get approved their resale plan for bought back cars.

Not only that, but they have to ramp up production of updated parts to fill demand for cars still on the road to be fixed on top of the ones that are resellable buybacks.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Tunes have *NEVER* been legal . . . California or not . . . sorry!
sure they are, as long as you dont remove or modify any emissions related components its entirely legal.. you are legally allowed to modify your vehicles otherwise.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Takes at least 3 weeks from the fix announcement for them to submit and get approved their resale plan for bought back cars.
Not only that, but they have to ramp up production of updated parts to fill demand for cars still on the road to be fixed on top of the ones that are resellable buybacks.
This should be interesting. What condition will the cars be in or how much work will the dealerships have to put into 2009's for example in order to be worth for them to sell back to the public.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
sure they are, as long as you dont remove or modify any emissions related components its entirely legal.
But tunes modify (the programming of) the ECU, and the ECU is most definitely an emissions-related component.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
But tunes modify (the programming of) the ECU, and the ECU is most definitely an emissions-related component.
That's right. Exceptions are sometimes made for emergency vehicles like ambulances and fire engines.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
This should be interesting. What condition will the cars be in or how much work will the dealerships have to put into 2009's for example in order to be worth for them to sell back to the public.
From what I understand, any pre-2013 vehicle turned in for buyback is just getting crushed.

If you want to bring your own 2009 in for the emissions fix, you will be getting a new DPF (as the original design on the early cars had NOx trap and DPF as one piece), low pressure EGR filter, NOx trap and exhaust flap along with the software update.

VW likely doesn't deem it worthwhile to fix cars that are too old/high mileage to apply the CPO label, so they're crushing them if they get turned in for buyback... 2013-14 gen 1 cars will largely be saved and resold as CPO.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think it's pretty safe to say that all of the bought back '09's will be crushed. Beyond that, we'll have to wait and see.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I turned in a much cleaner than average 09 Jetta with 78K miles on it. I figured it would get crushed for sure. Well, one of those VIN checking sites placed it in Michigan with 78K miles as of mid June. I figure if they were going to crush it, they would have done it by now.

Keith63

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium; 1974 Karmin Ghia; 1973 Super Beetle
My local VW dealer infomed me today that my Jetta (Gen 1) can be repaired anytime after the 11th of August. I am scheduled for the 15th. He also told me that once the software and converter exchange, that I do nothing else, they verify that the repair has been conducted and the restitution will be mailed to me. Yea baby!