Here's your stripped car test case folks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjsadler

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6m
http://nr.news-republic.com/Web/ArticleWeb.aspx?regionid=1&articleid=80573942&source=sms

This is from r/tdi on reddit

Please don't confuse my posting this with my taking a stand on either side of this issue. Personally I think that it's probably technically legal per the settlement terms but likely to be extreme enough to get VW and the attorneys attention which in my opinion can only cause problems for those with legitimate damage later on.

Last edited:

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
bigger crime: going to that amount of trouble, or hoping for an FJ croozer?

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
It's really not that fun to strip a car. I would like to keep my seats.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Amateur. Could have removed the steering wheel and replaced it with a vice grip on the end of the steering shaft. And those tires and wheels look awful good.

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
surprised he didn't do what I am planning to do and remove the wheels and send it back on 4 spare tires

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
License plate secured with bailing wire...beautiful touch!

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Surprised he didn't replace the wheels. If he gets in a crash with no doors or airbags he could end up quite injured.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Now that is the test case I was hoping for. Zero chance that car will get fixed and resold.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
This may be the case that defines what can be considered an operable car.

"Operable" as in "the engine starts and can move what's left of the bare shell that used to be a car", or "operable" as in fully operational and legal in every respect (which this isn't) and capable of legally being driven on the road in full compliance with all applicable legal requirements for it to to be considered a legal motor vehicle (which this wouldn't be) and capable of passing applicable vehicle safety inspection requirements (which this wouldn't be if this were to happen around here).

Dents and dings and paint scrapes and remnants of the kids barfing in the back seat don't make a car illegal to drive on the road, but major missing components sure do.

It will be interesting to see what happens here.

It's all fine that this is being done as a publicity stunt, but it could very well backfire on everyone else who has minor damage.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
My money is on your first definition, which I think is pretty clearly explained in the settlement. We'll find out tomorrow!

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
If I were the settlement rep and someone tried to bring that in, I would tell the owner that I would not be responsible for making the wrong call in that situation. Instead, I will take pictures and send them to my supervision, and let them make the call. When they do, if they say you can turn it in as a shell of a car, then you can make another appointment.

usarmy132

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Joe Mayer seems like a fun guy. I hope he is in this form and can provide us an update once car returned. That is why I like VW group.

nucklehead

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI W/DSG
I have to admit I'd like to have the seats out of my Jetta to shoehorn into my 71 Ghia. I doesn't have heat (does have A/C!) so my driving season could be expanded just a bit with heated seats. Too bad they aren't 6 way power seats - I'd be out there figuring something out.

The Jetta goes back on Thursday.

Hmm... I wonder how hard it would be to sit on an apple box for 80 freeway miles. I'm 69 and have a really bad back. Scratch that idea!

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
I hope they reject his car. It would be funny. Taking out things like the headliner that have zero re-sale value seems like a complete waste of time and he will probably end up taking most of the stuff he took to the local dump if they do buy the car back. Otherwise he will find putting stuff on is a lot harder than taking it off.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
I hope they reject his car. It would be funny. Taking out things like the headliner that have zero re-sale value seems like a complete waste of time and he will probably end up taking most of the stuff he took to the local dump if they do buy the car back. Otherwise he will find putting stuff on is a lot harder than taking it off.
Seriously have you ever been laid in your lifetime? Why would anyone hope this car gets rejected? :rolleyes:

DieselOG

TDI
11' 335d Msport-----R.I.P. 12' Jetta TDI Stage 2
Seriously have you ever been laid in your lifetime? Why would anyone hope this car gets rejected? :rolleyes:
Agreed, Who gives a S*** what he pulled out, the idea of taking these cars back to crush them is insane in the first place. Maby there's a paperwork error on the buyback of that 2013 wagon, that'd suck wouldn't it?

DieselOG

TDI
11' 335d Msport-----R.I.P. 12' Jetta TDI Stage 2
so what's he going to do if they reject it? Re-assemble the car? I hope he has some serious free time.
The language in the lawsuit is pretty clear, if there were stipulations they would have had to have stated all of the conditions in writing, I doubt they would have any legal grounds to reject his buyback

Status
Not open for further replies.