Power steering pump death(?)

Vinyl_Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
I am going to assume this means my pump just died. Leaking a large amount of fluid from the pulley shaft. Luckily i made it home from ct when it really let go. Also fluid seemed to boil out the top of the ps res- it leaked on the side of the battery and around the res on the right side of the engine compartment.

Is there a way to rebuild the pump? who does it? I am leaving for a 2 week trip tomorrow in another car so i'd like to have the parts waiting for me when i get back. Looks like i will miss another TDI fest this year as this pump issue wont allow me to get home and drive out to ohio now.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Check around for a used one. They rarely fail, so just about every dead car has a good ps pump. Also you may have ground up pump detritus in your steering rack. Not good. Not sure if that can be flushed, or if any got in. Something to worry about??!! -Eric

Vinyl_Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
few questions. how do i loosen the banjo bolt holding the end of the hydraulic line onto the pump? Right now its loose but spinning as one whole piece (both hex sections and end). I also accidentally bent the line a little, do i need to replace the whole thing back to the rack? (ug!) The new pump i got does not have the pulley mount on the shaft. how do i remove the old one and put it on the new pump??

save

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
holy over sized photos batman!

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
The banjo bolt will break free of the line. Typically when loosening those fittings I use a large socket on the bolt, and an open-ended wrench to lock the line in position. Quite often they stick together, you just need to break them free again. That bend doesn't look too severe to me, I'd be tempted to bend it back a little and try to round the tube out a bit, but if you think that may break it then I'd probably just leave it for now.

Can't help with the pulley mount, never seen them before :)

Vinyl_Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
got the whole end off the pump but i cant break the bolt free of the end.

With the bend i dont think the line will fit back on the pump when its installed. I just called impex and a new line is $115! more than the aftermarket pump i got.

gonna go to the local euro parts shop and see if they can help me out, a few times they came thru and very cheap.