HELP!! Transmission Code

Hobhancock

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 TDI Platinum grey 5 speed
The transmission in my 2002 Jetta just went whacky. It would not shift. We nursed her home and she did ok. I put my shareware version of VAGCOM on and came up with the following code.

01192 Torque Converter Lock-up 04-00 Mechanical malfunction.

I can clear the code but what should I be looking into so I do not have this problem again? Is this problem serious? Alittle background maybe. I just changed the tranny fluid and filter some 2000 miles ago. Everything has seem to function properly until now. This morning we were going up the canyon slowly when the CEL came on and then it started to act funny. It would rev high RPM's but would not shift. We did take it easy until I could look into this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
sounds like your transmission is on its way out. This code only applies to speeds 80km/hour and higher since thats when ure in 4th and ure torque converter wants to lockup

i am still battleing this problem, had my tranny rebuilt, spent 3800 dollars getting it done. I got chip tunes and am facing it again... i think my problem now is i am putting out too much torque

if you search my name you'll find a sea of information regaurding this

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
well i should say ONLY... if one of your gears is on its way out your going to get flairs and then when ure TC goes to lock-up your gonna see it rev hard with no change in speed... thats torque converter failure and a pain in the ass to sort out.

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
Assuming that you used the correct fluid 2,000 miles ago and got the level correct I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with your current problem. There is a company called "Sonnax" that makes control valve body repair kits for the various problems that are typical in this and other transmissions. They have a kit, part # 119940-04K that fixes a problem when the torque converter locks up but does not release. When Sonnax describes the problem it states that it is made worse by driving conditions that get the fluid hotter than normal. The 1 kit installs an slightly oversized regulator into the valve body and requires the bore of the valve body to be reamed to a slightly larger diameter. You might want to check local junkyards or Ebay for a good deal on a used control valve body (I saw one sell on Ebay recently for about $60). I just ordered a VW training manual for this transmission (I am assuming that you have the 4 speed 01M). Once I get it, I will scan it and put the files into word documents, if you email me at pruzink@charter.net I can send the info to you (but let me know what type of restrictions you have on your mailbox, I just did this for the 09A transmission and the files were about 40MB).