car takes about 3-5 seconds to start

environmentalteach

TDI
98 beetle
When I try to start my car, it has to crank a few times before it will run. This is especially noticable when car is warm.
What does this mean.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
environmentalteach said:
When I try to start my car, it has to crank a few times before it will run. This is especially noticable when car is warm.
What does this mean.
__. Have someone else start your car and look at the clear fuel line (I hope you have one of those most TDI's do). Do you see a lot of bubbles, still before cranking starts and then moving?
'

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Is this the original, untouched starter? As has been noted on this site, a starter that is going south, won't crank the engine fast enough. When it heats up the reistance goes up and it's hard to start.

Take it for what it's worth. I do belive there have been some that disagree.

I'm not positive either way, so I won't go beyond what I already said.

Doggie slides out from this thread....

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Would hooking it up to battery charger on "start" mode tell if it's the starter or not?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Bob_Fout said:
Would hooking it up to battery charger on "start" mode tell if it's the starter or not?
Does that provide additional amperage to overcome the voltage drop caused by high resistance?

TDI_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS 5 speed
How old is your battery? When my battery was on its last legs it used to take me a few seconds to start my car (never as long as 5s though). My battery was 5 years old when it went completely dead.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
whitedog said:
Does that provide additional amperage to overcome the voltage drop caused by high resistance?
Might provide 20A or 30A, not sure though :D

volks_r_us

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI
put a new battery if it's Old

Otherwise get a new bosch Starter .

Most of the time the Starter is the Problem

But you should always start with the basic which is the Battery

Good luck

oguzooz

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2012 JSW TDI
look to see if you even have the right battery. then look to see how old it is. if there is any question get it tested for amps. if you still have doubts just replace it (winter is coming)

if that doesnt solve the porblem look at the starter. i need to do this as well. i have a nice starter grind. and it takes a few seconds. (i also need to look at my timing.)