When do you think we will hear anything about incentives to stay with VW?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
i didn't read anything that said it couldn't be tied into the settlement...the only language I saw was that it couldn't influence you to do the buyback vs the fix - so it would have to be offered to all VW TDI owners - not everyone...but a dealer i talked to claimed that any incentive would have to be offered to everyone...so who knows

but that video also claimed they can't outright come out and say what the incentive is, that you have to ask about it at the time of the turn in....seems a little odd to me
Go find the link to the Audi training video (this is for dealer staff). It specifically enjoins them NOT to approach anyone with a sales pitch who comes in for a buyback. It also states that if the person doing the buyback approaches someone there about a deal, then all bets are off. And you can bet that the same deal will be offered to anyone who walks in the door and asks for one. VW is not going to be allowed to offer any deals that are connected or "tied" to the buyback.

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
old news, been posted several times here ;)

anyway, stopped by to test drive a regular golf this morning...not as bad as i thought it would be.

sales dude told me no incentives will be available other than the $1000 owner loyalty...and that any internet price already includes that loyalty price (lol).

The sales manager then said VW told them to be prepared to run out of inventory - that VW doesn't have enough stock to keep up with TDI owners , including what is in transit on ships - no need to offer incentives because TDI owners will be scrambling to buy up all the GTI's, Golfs, and Alltracks

:|

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
Well then.
If that happens, there's always other brands.
If VW truly wants to recover from this, then they'll have to find a way to do better than that.

-T.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The largest class of people responding to this thread continue to believe in an incentive that is specifically for Dieselgatemobile owners ONLY. Not going to happen. The court would be on them like a rug on a floor. And VW -IMHO- is not going to order some great big discount (say $5-6K) to anyone who walks in the door. These are the main things that drive my belief that there isn't going to be a spectacular incentive coming from VW. Which is why we almost certainly won't be in another one in two years when we turn this one in.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
The largest class of people responding to this thread continue to believe in an incentive that is specifically for Dieselgatemobile owners ONLY. Not going to happen. The court would be on them like a rug on a floor. And VW -IMHO- is not going to order some great big discount (say $5-6K) to anyone who walks in the door. These are the main things that drive my belief that there isn't going to be a spectacular incentive coming from VW. Which is why we almost certainly won't be in another one in two years when we turn this one in.
I have to agree with the above and add that VW sales are weak in the U.S. and profits are probably low. Therefore, there is no incentive to cut prices to show "manufactured" increase in market share, especially to angry TDI owners.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
The largest class of people responding to this thread continue to believe in an incentive that is specifically for Dieselgatemobile owners ONLY. ...snip...
As previously stated, the best deals likely to be available will have little to do with any "incentive" from VWAG or their dealers. Instead, they're more likely to be:
a) in the last week of the month
b) in the last week of the quarter
c) in the last week of the year
...with the very best deals likely to be had on left-overs from past model years. Example: a local Mazda dealer has 2 new, similarly-equipped Mazda 6 GTs parked side-by-side in front of the showroom. One's a 2017; the other a 2015.5. Care to guess on which one they're likely to cut a miracle deal?
I strongly urge prospective new car buyers to read the following 5-part article by author James Bragg (link to book):
http://www.clark.com/eye-opening-truth-about-dealer-invoice-price
Part 4 has some very specific recommendations on how to get the best deal, one which should make most 'special incentives' meaningless:
• First, find the best price offered by dealers on your favorite car-buying website. Get both a price for the car and a detailed “out-the-door” price, including motor vehicle department fees, sales taxes and any dealer charges for documentation, etc. Then keep that number in your hip pocket.
• On the weekend before the last 3, 4 or 5 consecutive weekdays of the month, check dealer inventories online. Many stores list it there. Choose 5 or 6 stores (ideally, but not necessarily, with cars you’d buy if the price were right), even if some are 50 or more miles away. More remote dealers may see you as a sale they’d never make and sell at a better price than they’d offer their neighbors.
• Call their Internet sales managers on the 1st morning if there are 3 consecutive weekdays, the 2nd morning if there are 4, the 3rd if there are 5. Describe the car you want in detail, say you’re ready to buy by month-end, that you’re contacting a limited number of dealers to get price proposals and you’d like to get one from that store. That you need both the price of the car and an itemized out-the-door price (with the details listed above) by phone or email [I suggest email, so you have a written record] by 11:00 AM the next morning. (Be sure they know your location, so they can figure the sales tax correctly.)
• Say you’ll call all responders that next afternoon, tell them the best out-the-door price and give them one shot at beating it. (It’s none of their business where it came from.) You’re ready to buy, and you want someone to knock your socks off at month-end. But you won’t buy from anyone who doesn’t participate from the beginning.
• The next morning call those you haven’t heard from by 11:00 AM, tell them you have proposals from other dealers and you’re waiting for their response. If any responses have been incomplete, call and ask for the missing info. Call everyone that afternoon with the best out-the-door offer. If the initial o-t-d price from the online car-buying site is the best Round 1 offer, use that price in those calls. (When you’re eliminating the cost of the middleman, that won’t happen often. But it could happen.)
• The store offering the best o-t-d price is the winner. “There will be no third round.” Ask the winner to confirm all the numbers via email because you hate surprises, and say you’re looking forward to giving that store nothing but the highest scores in the questionnaire about how you were treated. Make an appointment to sign the papers and pick up the car. Finally, as a courtesy, call the other dealers to thank them for participating.​
Good luck.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
The largest class of people responding to this thread continue to believe in an incentive that is specifically for Dieselgatemobile owners ONLY. Not going to happen. The court would be on them like a rug on a floor.
I don't have particular interest in whether VW offers such an incentive, as without TDIs on offer, I don't see me buying one of their cars. But nothing in the settlements would impede such an incentive, if offered to all Dieselgatemobile owners. Obviously it would violate the settlements to tie the incentive to choosing the buyback (or the fix), but without such a tie, there shouldn't be an issue.

Again, whether VW will do this is a separate issue, but I don't see anything that would prohibit it.

Edit: and if anything, I suspect the FTC and class counsel would be concerned that VW might try to push owners away from doing the buyback, since that's the option that's going to cost VW the most money. If such an incentive is seen as being lopsided at all, it would tend to push owners toward doing the buyback, not away from it.

Last edited:

Jamos

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SW
I picked up a 2017 Golf Wolfsburg yesterday, and used the $1000 loyalty. They needed to see proof of insurance cards for the currently registered VW to use the loyalty offer.
I agree that $1000 alone is pretty weak, but the price I paid was about 25% off of MSRP, which I thought was pretty decent.
I called around to different dealers and asked if they could beat the 25% off price, and none would, but they all would match it.
It's a lot of car for the price! Has blind spot monitoring, speed assist, nice infotainment system, leatherette, sunroof, and the new locking system is slick.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I picked up a 2017 Golf Wolfsburg yesterday, and used the $1000 loyalty. They needed to see proof of insurance cards for the currently registered VW to use the loyalty offer.
I agree that $1000 alone is pretty weak, but the price I paid was about 25% off of MSRP, which I thought was pretty decent.
I called around to different dealers and asked if they could beat the 25% off price, and none would, but they all would match it.
It's a lot of car for the price! Has blind spot monitoring, speed assist, nice infotainment system, leatherette, sunroof, and the new locking system is slick.
Auto or manual? Price?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<snip>

Again, whether VW will do this is a separate issue, but I don't see anything that would prohibit it.

Edit: and if anything, I suspect the FTC and class counsel would be concerned that VW might try to push owners away from doing the buyback, since that's the option that's going to cost VW the most money. If such an incentive is seen as being lopsided at all, it would tend to push owners toward doing the buyback, not away from it.
I sincerely hope that this is what comes to pass.....but I doubt it.

71sbeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
1971 Super Beetle, 2014 Golf TDI (soon to be 2017 Golf Wolfsburg), 2015 Silverado LT
None of the dealers I talked to in Nevada, California or Arizona would do such a discount, closest I got was about 15% off msrp on a manual wolfsburg golf, or a little bit more discount if I did my own financing so I'm really interested in seeing numbers before tax if you don't mind sharing.

Jamos

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SW
None of the dealers I talked to in Nevada, California or Arizona would do such a discount, closest I got was about 15% off msrp on a manual wolfsburg golf, or a little bit more discount if I did my own financing so I'm really interested in seeing numbers before tax if you don't mind sharing.
I wanted a manual, but they checked and told me there are no manual Golf Wolfsburgs in all of CA. So I decided to go for the auto.
MSRP was just about $24k
My price was $19,188 - 1000 loyalty = 18,188
I cold called some other dealers and asked them to beat the 18,188, and they all said they could match it but not beat it.
So hopefully that helps some other people that may be interested!
The only quirk with this deal is that I had to finance through VW. I plan to pay for a couple months and then pay it off completely.

71sbeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
1971 Super Beetle, 2014 Golf TDI (soon to be 2017 Golf Wolfsburg), 2015 Silverado LT
I wanted a manual, but they checked and told me there are no manual Golf Wolfsburgs in all of CA. So I decided to go for the auto.
MSRP was just about $24k
My price was $19,188 - 1000 loyalty = 18,188
I cold called some other dealers and asked them to beat the 18,188, and they all said they could match it but not beat it.
So hopefully that helps some other people that may be interested!
The only quirk with this deal is that I had to finance through VW. I plan to pay for a couple months and then pay it off completely.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/Jamosb78/2017%20Golf%20Wolfsburg_zps4yvpjgwn.jpg
That's a pretty good deal! The $18188 included destination fee?

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
As previously stated, the best deals likely to be available will have little to do with any "incentive" from VWAG or their dealers. Instead, they're more likely to be:
a) in the last week of the month
b) in the last week of the quarter
c) in the last week of the year
...with the very best deals likely to be had on left-overs from past model years...
I'd have to partially disagree, only from the standpoint that incentives offered by the manufacturer are usually in addition to whatever deal you can make with the dealer.

When I **factory ordered** my Ford Flex at the very beginning of the facelift model run, I very much mirrored this guy's technique (contacting about 2 dozen dealers by email), and sought out the best quote "below invoice" on a very specific order. Because I was ordering and the delivery date was unknown, we very specifically did not discuss an out-the-door price, because I wanted to take advantage of whatever incentives were active at the time of document signing. In the end, I played two dealers off of eachother until they were within $100 of eachother, so I was reasonably confident I was scraping bottom.

Likewise, when I negotiated the S60 that's replacing the Passat, using the same method (end of month, even), the agreed upon price was not including and additional $1500 in manufacturer incentives and a 0% financing deal -- neither of those came out of the dealer's pocket, and the dealer wouldn't have been able to duplicate them if they were not active promotions.

Heck, even the Passat had a ridiculous incentive when we bought it on valentine's day 2015.

So negotiation is important, but so are incentives -- timing is everything.

Cayman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I spoke with VW at the Seattle Car Show, only thing they're offering is $1000 loyalty discount, same as if you own a gasser. They are aggressively discounting certain 2016 models => but that does not include the Golf R, Golf Wagon, or the Alltrack. Cya VW

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I spoke with a VW rep at the Seattle Car Show <insert date of discussion here>, only thing they're offering is $1000 loyalty discount, same as if you own a gasser. They are aggressively discounting certain 2016 models => but that does not include the Golf R, Golf Wagon, or the Alltrack. Cya VW
There.....fixed that up a bit. You talked to one person on one day, and he told you what he told you. VW is certainly not bound by his statements, and that does not mean that something totally different might come out tomorrow.

Cayman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
There.....fixed that up a bit. You talked to one person on one day, and he told you what he told you. VW is certainly not bound by his statements, and that does not mean that something totally different might come out tomorrow.
I spoke to several VW employees on November 12th, 2016.. note they were not from local dealerships, they work for VW. Consensus was, buy a heavily discounted model even if it's not really what you want, and oh yeah, our dealers are there to "work with you" to get an awesome deal.

OpelGTMan

TDI
2012 Jetta
The dealer here had the passet r lines for about 4k off. They gave me a "special" sales flyer when I took my paperwork in on Friday to get notarized. I've already bought my replacement but it seemed like a decent deal.