OBD Code - way to retrieve without a device?

RedeyeTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm hoping before I drop a bunch of money at the dealership that someone knows if there is a way to get OBD trouble codes without having a reader. I know some vehicles there are way to get them through the odometer through patterns of turning the key, etc. I have a check engine light on that I can't see anything being amiss, as the car is only a year and a half old (though it has 102000 km). It was recently serviced as well and nothing was reported to me as being amiss. I found a source to interpret the codes in case there really is something wrong, but I can't find anything that mentions a way to get the codes.

VWGMDIESELFAN

Veteran Member
TDI
(totaled 4/30/2014) 2002 JETTA GLS TDI
Code reader

My Gosh don't go to the Stealership! I am a newbie and know better than that. If you can't wait for someone with Vag-Com to help you out just stop by Auto zone for a generic code reading and they will do it for free. Unless you like throwing away 50+ bucks for nothing. For less than that you can buy an Ebay Vag Com cable and a cheapo laptop to just check and clear codes.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
No AutoZone stores in Canada, as far as I know... (which often isn't much...)

The Original Poster has a 2006, so he needs to find someone who has a modern Vag-Com interface (CAN bus) to read the code...

Although many of us have a real Vag-Com cable, not that many have the newer ones...

If you ever travel down towards Toronto, send a Private Message to UserID "Wingnut" - who lives in Whitby and does have one of the CAN-bus Vag-Com interfaces... (unless someone else chimes in...)

All the best,

Yuri.

PS: and most dealerships up here charge something like C$95 to read the codes...