Thinking about this turbo... Input?

RV9Factory

TDI
2006 Jetta
My second Darkside turbo is making a whistle that makes me nervous. Before it grenades, I'm thinking about a new one.

I saw this on eBay. Seller has good feedback but his price is so far below Kerma's that I'm kind of apprehensive...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PD140-Turbo-Upgrade-for-TDI-BRM-1-9-Motors-2005-2006/123394596107

It's supposedly new and appears to be the same thing Kerma is selling for much more. Maybe the guy has been sitting on them and just wants to turn them into cash?

Seller appears to be same as tdiupgrades.com...

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I always look at the reviews and seller feedback is great for that seller. I'm not a big fan of Ebay, however, you can find a good vendor occasionally and I would probably go for it if you can verify that it's the correct turbo.

I would probably call them, TDI Upgrades 616-240-7547, and verify that it's their listing. If it is I would go for it.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
You've already got one questionable turbo, why would you buy another that is more than likely a Chinese knockoff and guaranteed to fail?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Says it is made in USA! And, looks like they had the forethought to provide for an EGT probe.

Our trusted vendors do sell on eBay. Maybe someone should contact this seller to see if they would be interested in becoming a TDI Club member and join the community!

RV9Factory

TDI
2006 Jetta
You've already got one questionable turbo, why would you buy another that is more than likely a Chinese knockoff and guaranteed to fail?
I have no interest in saving money by buying Chinese.

I have gone through two Darksides - one blew up in <15k and then got a CHRA from them that has whistled and made me nervous since day one (about 5-8k on it now). And they come highly recommended on these and other forums.

There is no indication that the turbo I linked is a Chinese knockoff and they claim it is made in Minnesota. I have since confirmed with them that it is not a Garrett but is brand new.

The whole point of my post was to get feedback. There aren't many choices for the BRM:

OEM
PD140 (Genuine Garrett)
"PD140" (Some people in Minnesota)
Darkside (Questionable quality in my experience)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I missed the part about made in the US. That is a plus.

I was looking at how all the pics were at such an angle you couldn't see any stamping on the body of the turbo. Or the little tag the comes on these.

If this guy has a good product that would be great, ebay doesn't necessarily mean it's junk. My only experience with cascadegerman is through ebay and they have been great with a great product.

However lest we all forget prothe has a stellar ebay rating also.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Plus ebay and other sellers use stock photos.
I tend to agree with jarhead, but that unit looks interesting. Perhaps you'll come across someone who has one. Otherwise, dig real deep for more information before buying.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Whistle out the exhaust, or a whine coming from the turbo? Is it possible you are just gunshy from previous failure. Out of curiosity, What happened when the first one went?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Good point j, isn't a whistle kinda the sound they're supposed to make?
Well built turbos last a long, long time unless they get debris inside or fail to oil properly.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You could also have a leak in a gasket or charge air tube somewhere that could make a strange noise like a whistle.

RV9Factory

TDI
2006 Jetta
Whistle out the exhaust, or a whine coming from the turbo? Is it possible you are just gunshy from previous failure. Out of curiosity, What happened when the first one went?
Factory turbo went out with failed VNT actuator. The CHRA was fine.

The first replacement turbo (Darkside) went from fine to cratered in about one minute. Not one minute after installation, mind you. There might have been some smoking leading up to it. I don’t remember. It started making a very abnormal racket and while I was maneuvering out of traffic it went out completely and the engine quit. Shaft was sheared. It didn't have very many miles on it.

The current turbo (a replacement Darkside CHRA) has whistled since I installed it. I did replace all intake-related o-rings (those green ones throughout the intercooler piping). I removed injector harness and cranked engine until oil squirted from turbo oil supply line, then connected.

Here is a link to video of the whistle. It got *noticeably* louder when temperatures dropped here a couple of days ago. It quiets down when the engine heats up.

Here it is after just starting the cold-soaked engine.

https://youtu.be/Z_lduHaGXBw

Three mechanics, one at a dealership, have expressed no concern over it. No lights on dash. Good power, no smoke.

I am definitely nervous. If it's a bearing/bushing issue, my strong preference would be to get it out and replace it, but have it rebuilt/repaired to keep as a spare. If I wait 'til it craters then that won't be a possibility and in addition, I risk the engine.

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Might just be a higher cold idle causing it to spool sooner at idle before warming up. From the video it sounds like air not a bearing. If it was a bearing I would think it would show up underhood rather than from exhaust.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can't say I ever heard the sound of a bearing going in one. If loose, it would most likely show up as the impeller rubs the cartridge.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
>eBay
>poor location if EGT
>mediocre to poor manifold design to say "performance" probably needs to be ported
>Cheep
>bolt on
>under $600 shipped

you pay for what you get.
I would avoid it if i were you.
However, i might just buy it myself to bet my beast back on the road this spring.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
I bought my VNT17 from TDIupgrades directly over a month ago. So far it has worked well. They sold it to me cheaper than their Ebay price. Their website is https://www.tdiupgrades.com/shop I would suggest emailing or calling them to get a cheaper price. I got the VNT17, gaskets, flexible oil line for $730 shipped. I had a good experience with them.

RV9Factory

TDI
2006 Jetta
I guess a reasonable next step is to have a shop smoke test the intake system for leaks. If it’s a leak I’m not horribly worried. Boost is great and no lights.

I’ll check my EGR delete plates too.

Last edited:

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I bought my VNT17 from TDIupgrades directly over a month ago. So far it has worked well. They sold it to me cheaper than their Ebay price. Their website is https://www.tdiupgrades.com/shop I would suggest emailing or calling them to get a cheaper price. I got the VNT17, gaskets, flexible oil line for $730 shipped. I had a good experience with them.
These guys are out of stock, and have no plans to get more.
cheers,
Douglas