Treg v10 tdi vs 2010 golf tdi

Adamrm

TDI
Want one
I've been a vw owner for over 12 years but have not been in a tdi yet. I'm looking to decide between the v10 treg and the new golf tdi. Obviously money is an issue. Also will be starting a family soon so safety us an issue. I'm also very attracted to idea of using bio diesel. I do 95 percent of my own repairs and am ok with extra work. Looking for any opinons on this choice of tdi.
Thanks

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
The Golf will be much more economical in every way, and safety is not an issue.

The V10 TDI is dated and was replaced by a V6 TDI in the Touareg. That powerplant still looks like a wallet killer when maintenance time comes around.

Golf/Jetta V platform safety in reality: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=257679 NB: The 2010 Golf is a Golf VI platform, supposed to be even stronger.

Last edited:

Adamrm

TDI
Want one
I read about some of the maitenence with v10 and it's costs. Was money the main factor in the treg motor down size

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
I think it was just too big - 310hp/553 ft-lbf peak hp/torque.
The V6 is more efficient and still makes a halfway decent amount of power -221hp/407 ft-lbf according to the manufacturer.

The V10s can not meet current emissions standards, so it was probably discontinued to reduce design and production costs. I don't think it sold too well either.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Do you like black interior and cloth seats? That's your only choice in the 2010 Golf TDI.