Letter From My Dealer re: Buybacks

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn
Wonder about those that are registered/titled in states like Florida, that maintain an electronic titling system.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
Which is why complaining about the warranty is important. I should never have to pay for a DPF on the car, ever. I didn't say never replace, I said never pay for another one. If VW has to replace it every 50k miles, fine, give me a loaner for a day, and I'll get it tomorrow.
+1 The settlement looks tinged for the EPA's and VW's benefit, and getting cars off the road. If VW covered their non-servicable DPF, that many more owners would keep the cars and do the drive-by replacements. It makes perfect sense that owners should not have to pay "compensation" sized exhaust repair bills, if they represent more events of fraud. But who's listening?

quattrothatcould

TDI
MkVII Golf TDI
Maybe I'm being petty, but if the tax credits from a trade in do not apply, then maybe VW shouldn't be basing the settlement money on the trade in value (and/or, they should be returning the taxes that were paid). Not sure what the trade in tax credit looks like from state to state, but if I was to trade in our Mk7 on a similarly priced car, I'm out of pocket almost $2k if I can't take advantage of the tax credit.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
This is a good dealer and a well written clear letter. My local dealer would spontaneously combust if such a thing was written within 500 feet of the premises.

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
Maybe I'm being petty, but if the tax credits from a trade in do not apply, then maybe VW shouldn't be basing the settlement money on the trade in value (and/or, they should be returning the taxes that were paid). Not sure what the trade in tax credit looks like from state to state, but if I was to trade in our Mk7 on a similarly priced car, I'm out of pocket almost $2k if I can't take advantage of the tax credit.
Folks around here, myself included, have been making that assertion for several weeks.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
Folks around here, myself included, have been making that assertion for several weeks.
Heck, we get a giant break of 3k off the purchase price for sales tax, regardless of how much the trade was worth. So effectively, I'm out the tax and initial license fees twice in 2 years. Bad deal.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
It really will depend on the state you are in, and how the law is written.

(and how far the automobile dealer association is in the pocket of the legislature) (sorry for the political observation.....)

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
Yes, it's nice that this particular dealer has reached out to their customers. The part about waiting though. The depreciation may be frozen, but let us not forget mileage. Like many here, I don't have the luxury of parking my Passat while waiting (and waiting some more...) for the actual appointment date to go in and return my car. My commute is nearly 100 miles r/t per day. I registered in the claims site and got a value for my car. By November, the tentative return month, I'm going to have more miles on the car than their calculator states, putting me in a lower value bracket.

It's this waiting forever, then the tentative, preliminary, semi-preliminary, and final decision dates. Meanwhile, I have to keep driving. End Rant

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
TDINJ, you can enter the mileage you drive per month for the calculation along with the anticipated month you will return the car, to get a more accurate value.
I have a feeling that if you turn it in with close to the expected mileage, on the "scheduled" month, they will pay you what their calculation is. They say that if there is a significant difference in mileage you will not get your check at the time of turn-in, but instead up to three days later.

Also, along the lines of what Dan said ^ you have to drive anyway. This way 1,042 of those miles are deducted every month from the depreciation. Wouldn't you rather it go that way, instead of on your new(ish?) car?

drshaws

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT
Don't think there is any reason VT will deny me a tax credit. This is their form: http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/pdf/DMV-VD115-Tax_Credit_Refund_App.pdf
That's an interesting approach VT has there.

I think here in MA, when they do the trade-in, they tax the sale value shown in the sales order, which is: (New Car Price) - (Trade In Value Received) = Sale Price You Pay Tax On.

So that's what I'm curious about if the buyback is handled via a totally separate transaction. My one local dealer contact did not have info as of yet how they'd be handling it.

lowmiles

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
"Loyalty monies" is the phrase that caught my attention. What kind of money are we talking here and when will we find out?

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
[FONT=&quot]We learned that preliminary testing on the new emissions modifications showed little to no effects on fuel mileage or performance. In fact, they stated that they have always been conservative on their window stickers with fuel mileage and may not have to adjust those estimates.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]So [FONT=&quot]if they are c[FONT=&quot]alling it good if it stays a[FONT=&quot]t or above the posted [FONT=&quot]EPA sticker 34/[FONT=&quot]41, I guess they are saying I can expect a 10%-15% reduction in my actual mileage.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
[FONT=&quot]We learned that preliminary testing on the new emissions modifications showed little to no effects on fuel mileage or performance. In fact, they stated that they have always been conservative on their window stickers with fuel mileage and may not have to adjust those estimates.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]So [FONT=&quot]if they are c[FONT=&quot]alling it good if it stays a[FONT=&quot]t or above the posted [FONT=&quot]EPA sticker 34/[FONT=&quot]41, I guess they are saying I can expect a 10%-15% reduction in my actual mileage.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]
Better than below the sticker mileage for many other cars.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
Better than below the sticker mileage for many other cars.
A large part of the reason I was willing to pay the premium was because of the known mileage in excess of the sticker.

So I think it is not reasonable to claim that getting mileage cut 15%, to the sticker levels, is a non-event (which is how I am taking some folks statements).

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Wake up, people!

First, the statement that it doesn't significantly affect power/torque/mileage came from a car dealer/salesman!!!!!!

Second, the dealer/salesman heard it from someone from VW, an organization whose reputation for honesty is, shall we say, less than stellar at the moment.

I'd like to believe that I could take a cash payment for a fix and not be harmed by the result, but I cannot believe anything anyone from VW says about it. If VW, or their lawyers, stated that the sky is blue and the grass is green, you should walk outside and confirm before listening to them,

Rob_TDI_13

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
What I found to be a load of crap although this doesn't apply to me are the people that leased the vehicle. VW says they don't care and won't deduct for door dings, bald tires, broken windshields, etc but they will penalize for mileage on lease vehicles being returned?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
a lease is quite different than a purchase. different commitment. different ownership. different risk.

different deal.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]10-15% is a lot. Too much for some owners. [FONT=&quot]Heck, my Mother's 2004 Honda Accord (gas 4 [FONT=&quot]banger) [/FONT]is in the 3[FONT=&quot]5[/FONT] MPG ROAD range [/FONT][/FONT]

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
What I found to be a load of crap although this doesn't apply to me are the people that leased the vehicle. VW says they don't care and won't deduct for door dings, bald tires, broken windshields, etc but they will penalize for mileage on lease vehicles being returned?
I can't complain on my buy back. Free drive for up to 36-38 months and a small compensation too.

I credit the price I paid for most of the gravy & a little for low mileage driving.

Buy still, I agree the pristine car owners are cheated compared to the filthy, nasty, smelly, ratty, doggy, rough, hush puppy junkers. .

However, there my be a way to gain (a little) by trading off the dealership who does the buy back. I'm getting the first 2 contacts from Local and close by dealers.

MaverickH1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Regarding the fix, since many people have gotten better than sticker mileage I suspect the fix will bring the mileage down to the sticker rating. You kind of don't have a right to complain about getting the rated mileage, but it might be enough of a drop to bother people that have been doing much better.
I disagree with this statement, but only because I bought the car based off of actual mileage reports from people on this site.

It was commonly known that VW was conservative on their fuel economy sticker value.

TJD_TDI

TDI
2012 JSW
I disagree with this statement, but only because I bought the car based off of actual mileage reports from people on this site.
It was commonly known that VW was conservative on their fuel economy sticker value.
Yeah, and now we know why! The fraud that VW committed actually benefited all the owners getting well above advertised mileage.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
With a 10-15% reduction, you'll be in the MPG range of, or less than a number of gas-engined cars. :(

Clark Addison

TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI
With so many diesels going off the road, I think fewer gas stations will be selling diesel. Owners will have to go to truck stops and use an adapter for the wider nozzles.