Am I the only one that is satisfied with the proposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueGruff

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW DSG; 2017 Jetta 1.8T Sedan
What loss have lessees suffered, for which they need to be compensated? Pre-9/18 buyers have suffered a loss--their cars are worth less than they otherwise would be. But lessees didn't own the car anyway, so the loss in value doesn't harm them. Why should all your lease payments be repaid?

These were my exact thoughts, so it begs the question why lessees would deserve any compensation if they cannot establish they were harmed by the fraud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redeemed

TDI
2002 New Beetle 2013 Jetta bought back
What loss have lessees suffered, for which they need to be compensated? Pre-9/18 buyers have suffered a loss--their cars are worth less than they otherwise would be. But lessees didn't own the car anyway, so the loss in value doesn't harm them. Why should all your lease payments be repaid?
Didn't say they should be repaid. Just that they weren't. A question was asked at the start of the thread, I just threw out another thought on it.
The car goes back back at the end of the year regardless. This just lets me out a little early with no mileage penalties. So I really don't care much.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
Some are just simply unhappy, while others are literally crawling out of their skin trying to come up with any way to stick it to VW and get all they can get. It's rather amazing. Personally, I'm pretty happy

I don't see the mystery here.

Different circumstances for various customers creates some who are happy, and some who are not.

You don't have to understand anything more than that!

GretchenTDI

TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible
So don't despair just yet, OK?
Lord knows I'm trying!

I would just rather not have to make a decision at all. :p
I do realize I can drive it for two years essentially "for free". Especially since I don't put a ton of miles on her.

I guess I'm really concerned what that performance drop could end up being.
Do you think we would get to test drive one that's been gimped before we decide? That would really help. I regret not going manual transmission now. :cool:

Am I understanding correctly that we only say,"I'm in" but we don't have to commit yet to taking buyback or modification?

Last edited:

allan

TDI
current 2013 Audi Q7, 2015 Golf Sportwagen
I'm in the happy category. We bought a 2010 Jetta wagon with all the options at 30 months old for $21k. I think including the $1k already, we're going to get back $17k if we keep it under 1k/month for the next 18 months.

$4k to drive a car for 6 years with almost no extra costs. What's not to like?

We now have a new VW E-golf on lease, which with the PG&E rate plan change (no more tiered pricing), is costing us $0 in extra electricity cost. (ironically, we can charge it at the VW office here in Belmont CA where it is rumored that the cheating software was written)

Any word on when/IF VW will be selling diesels in the US again? diesel wagons?

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
so why is someone that bought a car a year ago deserving of more "restitution" than someone that paid full MSRP for the car and has been driving it for six years thinking they had a "clean diesel". I think the cash payment should be at least the same if not weighted more towards people that have owned the cars the longest.
+1 And the guy buying a 2010 TDI, for ~8k in 2015, from somebody other than VW, is getting the same that the original owner gets. No matter thoughts on the fairness of the total settlement, the separations practically tease the older original owners, who kept, to reject it.

-No sales tax restitution, which could help balance this.
-We eat our depreciation, while many 2013-2015 owners won't?
-"trade price X 20%" over compensates for $40,000+ cars. Making $1k on a $5k car, and $8,800 on a $44,000 is how the used car business works? Really?

This isn't hair splitting, or angels on a pin. Newer owners look to be coming out 2-3 times better. VW cheated, but free cars?

Last edited:

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
If you compare yourself to others you can always find someone who will make you seem like you got a bad deal. Not on this, on anything. Evaluate your situation on it's own. Pick the option that works best for you, not the one that compares best to someone else.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
If you compare yourself to others you can always find someone who will make you seem like you got a bad deal. Not on this, on anything. Evaluate your situation on it's own. Pick the option that works best for you, not the one that compares best to someone else.
This is great; it should be a sticky up at the top somewhere.

"Comparison is the death of joy." - Mark Twain

Bisoned

Banned
TDI
13 Passat
Definitely happy with the proposal! Already driving the replacement vehicle and the TDI is parked and waiting for the buyback

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Yup. I see that as an extension of the "Keeping up with the Joneses" mentality. What difference does it make what someone else is getting if you're compensated fairly?

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
When I found what the buyback amount and "compensation" would be I nearly fainted. It ends up being about what we paid for the car, and should be enough to buy another car that won't likely do what the TDI does, but no point in crying over spilled milk. We got a "free" car for 3 1/2 years at buyback time.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Yup. I see that as an extension of the "Keeping up with the Joneses" mentality. What difference does it make what someone else is getting if you're compensated fairly?
I've always for of been an are you willing to stay down with me sort of guy about a lot of things. Don't need a car, house, or dog that says, "I'm better'n you". :p

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
I've always for of been an are you willing to stay down with me sort of guy about a lot of things. Don't need a car, house, or dog that says, "I'm better'n you". :p
Yeah, but about that English?

I see I've put the thread's bell curve on "full pacify".

kayoss

TDI
SE
I just read through this thread and I try to understand you guys but I don't.

I feel like we are so under compensated that it's ridiculous, and I am just shocked that more people aren't upset over it.

Here is what my real costs are: (financially and emotionally)

1) Before I bought the VW I spent hours researching this vehicle. After spending hours researching it, reading articles on it, watching videos on it, I end up buying one. That time is now lost. The car I planned on having for 10 years is going to be gone. Hours wasted on research. No compensation for that.

2) I spent hours at the dealership dealing with a greasy slicky car salesmen. I had to sit through a process of some pawn shop looking finance manager pitching one of those worthless warranties to me. (that alone should be worth a thousand dollars having to listen to that crap) No compensation for that.

3) I had a car that I really liked that I lost when I traded it in on the Volkswagen. I can't get it back. If the volkswagen were not available, then I would have been able to keep my car that I had until I bought a different car from a company that did NOT LIE OR DECEIVE ME. Losing a car that I liked buying and then being duped into a fraudulent transaction should be worth a ton. No compensation for that.

4) Hours, and I mean HOURS, spent on reading this stupid dieselgate crap. Seriously, do you all think your time is worth nothing? Basically, for the past year, we've been frozen on what we could do on these cars. VW throws the dick at us, keeps us hanging in the balance for a year, and then gives us the least amount of money they can to try and silence the masses, and sadly, it does.

5) And now I have to do most of this stuff again. I have to do research for another car, deal with another salesman, another manager, jerked along for hours at a dealership as those blood suckers try to take another dime out of me. Where is the compensation for that?

I have spent hours, literally tons of hours, reading about this crap that we have to deal with. Hell, I spent hours trying to understand the formula that they are using to give us the "settlement." No real compensation for that.

I should be compensated for having to try to explain this mess to my wife, my co-workers, and everyone else who doesn't really understand this fiasco.

Is your time worth so little? Did the being kept in limbo not bother you? I cannot imagine anyone ever wanting to buy a Volkswagen again. This is like marrying a woman and then finding out she's banging the entire neighborhood, along with giving you the lovely gift of an STD, and then her saying she's sorry by paying for your medical care. This is how they define making you whole again?

At minimum, they should be taking our cars, fixing them, giving them back to us for us to do whatever we want along with giving us the value of our cars in cash.

I did a modification one time on a new car I had a long time ago. I think it was some type of cold air intake or something. Anyhow, something on the car, transmission maybe, broke and the company denied the repair because i had modified the car. At that time this was a huge bill that the company made me pay because they denied the warranty because of a part that didn't matter. In essence, they didn't do a 2,000 dollar repair only because they could find a reason not to. I have heard of stories like this many times through the years. But here we have a company that did so much worse. They put tons of modified parts on, lied to the government, lied to us, screwed their own dealers, and then want to make it right by giving us this trickling of money?

I read the comments in this thread and I think most of you have it all wrong. From how your comments read, I think you owe Volkswagen a big thank you for all they've done for you. They give us tough love.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta

I feel like we are so under compensated that it's ridiculous, and I am just shocked that more people aren't upset over it.

1) Before I bought the VW I spent hours researching this vehicle. After spending hours researching it, reading articles on it, watching videos on it, I end up buying one. That time is now lost. The car I planned on having for 10 years is going to be gone. Hours wasted on research. No compensation for that.

2) I spent hours at the dealership dealing with a greasy slicky car salesmen. I had to sit through a process of some pawn shop looking finance manager pitching one of those worthless warranties to me. (that alone should be worth a thousand dollars having to listen to that crap) No compensation for that.

3) I had a car that I really liked that I lost when I traded it in on the Volkswagen. I can't get it back. If the volkswagen were not available, then I would have been able to keep my car that I had until I bought a different car from a company that did NOT LIE OR DECEIVE ME. Losing a car that I liked buying and then being duped into a fraudulent transaction should be worth a ton. No compensation for that.

4) Hours, and I mean HOURS, spent on reading this stupid dieselgate crap. Seriously, do you all think your time is worth nothing? Basically, for the past year, we've been frozen on what we could do on these cars. VW throws the dick at us, keeps us hanging in the balance for a year, and then gives us the least amount of money they can to try and silence the masses, and sadly, it does.

5) And now I have to do most of this stuff again. I have to do research for another car, deal with another salesman, another manager, jerked along for hours at a dealership as those blood suckers try to take another dime out of me. Where is the compensation for that?

I have spent hours, literally tons of hours, reading about this crap that we have to deal with. Hell, I spent hours trying to understand the formula that they are using to give us the "settlement." No real compensation for that.

I should be compensated for having to try to explain this mess to my wife, my co-workers, and everyone else who doesn't really understand this fiasco.

Is your time worth so little? Did the being kept in limbo not bother you? I cannot imagine anyone ever wanting to buy a Volkswagen again. This is like marrying a woman and then finding out she's banging the entire neighborhood, along with giving you the lovely gift of an STD, and then her saying she's sorry by paying for your medical care. This is how they define making you whole again?

At minimum, they should be taking our cars, fixing them, giving them back to us for us to do whatever we want along with giving us the value of our cars in cash.

I did a modification one time on a new car I had a long time ago. I think it was some type of cold air intake or something. Anyhow, something on the car, transmission maybe, broke and the company denied the repair because i had modified the car. At that time this was a huge bill that the company made me pay because they denied the warranty because of a part that didn't matter. In essence, they didn't do a 2,000 dollar repair only because they could find a reason not to. I have heard of stories like this many times through the years. But here we have a company that did so much worse. They put tons of modified parts on, lied to the government, lied to us, screwed their own dealers, and then want to make it right by giving us this trickling of money?

I read the comments in this thread and I think most of you have it all wrong. From how your comments read, I think you owe Volkswagen a big thank you for all they've done for you. They give us tough love.
Vote for Bernie Sanders much???

But seriously, I really had trouble taking your post seriously enough to even finish reading it. I think you'll find your answer to why you can't understand most of us by looking in the mirror. I'll try to be as respectful as I can but I'm wondering if you're actually joking for fun, or if you are serious.

You want compensation for your time talking with a salesman, talking with your wife, and your time reading on the internet? What? I seriously can't even contemplate that in a serious matter... You're so wrong here that it's not even funny. No one forced you to read the threads or think about it day and night. All you had to do was know that there was something going on, and wait to receive info in the mail before you could even think about about spending your insanely precious time and thoughts on the issue.

You said you're losing your car? Say's who? You don't have to sell it back. Keep it!

And, you want VW to repair your car, give it back to you, and give you the proposed amount that they are offering to buy it back for? Are you freaking insane man? Seriously?

If you reflect on what you're actually thinking and typing out here and can't come to a sane stance, then you're part of what is so wrong with this country.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG

But seriously, I really had trouble taking your post seriously enough to even finish reading it. I think you'll find your answer to why you can't understand most of us by looking in the mirror. I'll try to be as respectful as I can but I'm wondering if you're actually joking for fun, or if you are serious.

You want compensation for your time talking with a salesman, talking with your wife, and your time reading on the internet? What? I seriously can't even contemplate that in a serious matter... You're so wrong here that it's not even funny. No one forced you to read the threads or think about it day and night. All you had to do was know that there was something going on, and wait to receive info in the mail before you could even think about about spending your insanely precious time and thoughts on the issue.

You said you're losing your car? Say's who? You don't have to sell it back. Keep it!

And, you want VW to repair your car, give it back to you, and give you the proposed amount that they are offering to buy it back for? Are you freaking insane man? Seriously?

If you reflect on what you're actually thinking and typing out here and can't come to a sane stance, then you're part of what is so wrong with this country.
You took the words right out of my mouth you got this cry baby pegged. Some people think that being alive is worth somebody else s money. The American way, why do we have such a troubled society? I'm glad I'm old because if people that think like Kayoss will someday be running this country I don't want to live in it. But of course you can tell them nothin' they are to busy being abused without compensation.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>
This thread's OP asked for responses from people who ARE satisfied with the settlement, not just another extended rant. Plenty of those in Threadzilla II.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Great fu*king post dude!

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
Post 76 is now my new favorite pricelessly hilarious whine.

I think point 3 is my favorite part where the missing trade in car and the decision to trade it in is now the fault of an evil entity. Beats out my prior favorite of getting VW to pay for 40 dollars of printer paper and time to print a shop manual by a hair.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
This thread's OP asked for responses from people who ARE satisfied with the settlement, not just another extended rant. Plenty of those in Threadzilla II.
Technically its a discussion on who is or isnt satisfied. I wouldnt want to create a situation where we miss out on these entertainment opportunities

wmichaelis

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI

If you're looking for understanding those of us who are satisfied with the proposal, here's a couple of things you can do to start:

1. First, realize that any time and effort that you put in to researching and buying your VW was time that you elected to spend in that pursuit. I've just purchased a new BMW, and spent literally two plus hours a day for over 2 weeks doing my homework, shopping for the options and packages and trim I wanted. That entitled me to not one single cent off the purchase price.

2. Second, realize that having to deal with greasy/skeezy salesmen and finance managers can a:) happen at any dealer, not just a VW dealership, b:) is something you elected to do of your own free will, and c:) was not something anybody forced you to do.

3. Come to terms with trading in the car you loved. You made that choice. Nobody put a gun to your head. You opted for a TDI - bad luck. I myself traded in a brand new 2014 Mazda 3 with less than 10,000 miles for my TDI. That's not VW's fault, and they owe me nothing extra for that.

4. Most importantly - there is not one single automobile manufacturer who hasn't in some way, shape, or form lied to you. Your moral outrage is not equivalent to a winning lottery ticket.

Simply put, if you feel that you're owed so much more for your emotional pain and suffering, opt out of the class action, and sue them independently. Good luck convincing a judge.

Or, as was also said by others, realize that you aren't being forced to sell your car back, and you're not being forced to fix it, either. Keep it, use it as you have it, and experience not a single difference compared to what you paid for. That's an option available to you. But "let me keep it, fix it at your cost, and pay me full buyback price"? You're out of your mind.

The "they lied to us, now they should pay us all the money" stance so many people take is a bit disgusting. The US Goverment has been lying to us all for as long as it's existed - why aren't you out there arguing for a return of all monies paid in taxes over your lifetime?

wmichaelis

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI
As I posted in Threadzilla II, I think the proposal is fair. I'm not happy with it, but that's because I would much prefer to see the massive fines VW is being made to pay be put to a better use, to offset the extra NOX put into the atmosphere. Writing a big check to an agency doesn't actually make the problem any better.

Of course I would have liked them to base the buyback price on clean retail as opposed to clean trade, but I can see why they wouldn't - they're going to end up buying back what I would imagine is a lot more beat to hell, well used cars than pampered, buffed with a diaper under 10,000 miles ones. As for the mileage adjustment that so many people have a problem with, that isn't VW's doing at all - the values they based on have formulas associated with them for depreciation based on mileage, plain and simple. And no, the guy who put 200,000 miles on his '09 TDI probably shouldn't get just as much money as the guy who only put on 75,000 miles, because he got far more use out of his car.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
As I posted in Threadzilla II, I think the proposal is fair. I'm not happy with it, but that's because I would much prefer to see the massive fines VW is being made to pay be put to a better use, to offset the extra NOX put into the atmosphere. Writing a big check to an agency doesn't actually make the problem any better.

Of course I would have liked them to base the buyback price on clean retail as opposed to clean trade, but I can see why they wouldn't - they're going to end up buying back what I would imagine is a lot more beat to hell, well used cars than pampered, buffed with a diaper under 10,000 miles ones. As for the mileage adjustment that so many people have a problem with, that isn't VW's doing at all - the values they based on have formulas associated with them for depreciation based on mileage, plain and simple. And no, the guy who put 200,000 miles on his '09 TDI probably shouldn't get just as much money as the guy who only put on 75,000 miles, because he got far more use out of his car.
Well said.

Now lets discuss how VW is going to compensate me for the pair of pants i ruined spilling coffee on them while laughing at kayoss's post.
My hourly 'reading about dieselgate' wage is 220 per hour, and my pants were worth 50 bucks plus an incidental accident charge of 740 dollars. And of course the mental anguish fee is 320 per second.

Last edited:

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Someone mentioned the bell curve, and that is exactly where I am. I bought my '10 JSW for slightly under MSRP, there were no incentives. So, I paid about as much as someone that bought a '14, maybe more.

I understand depreciation, but the '10 took a huge hit on depreciation, even compared to an '11. The difference in value is almost $3,700 between the '10 and the '11.

I also hit the mileage where I have had to start doing major maintenance. So far it has been front and rear brakes, and the timing belt, but the DMF will probably have to be replaced before the car can be sold back. We are talking almost $3,000, that people with newer cars haven't had to think about yet.

If I had a 2011 I think I would be satisfied with the offer. I would be able to get rid of the car before spending that $3,000 and get another $3500 from VW to boot.

I know that I would have to spend the money fixing the car if this never happened, but I was already upset about having to replace the DMF. Now I will have to do that, and not keep the car.

So, my situation is that I will net $10,000, and if I had an '11 I would net $17,000.

Can you understand why I might not be completely thrilled?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Someone mentioned the bell curve, and that is exactly where I am. I bought my '10 JSW for slightly under MSRP, there were no incentives. So, I paid about as much as someone that bought a '14, maybe more.
I understand depreciation, but the '10 took a huge hit on depreciation, even compared to an '11. The difference in value is almost $3,700 between the '10 and the '11.
I also hit the mileage where I have had to start doing major maintenance. So far it has been front and rear brakes, and the timing belt, but the DMF will probably have to be replaced before the car can be sold back. We are talking almost $3,000, that people with newer cars haven't had to think about yet.
If I had a 2011 I think I would be satisfied with the offer. I would be able to get rid of the car before spending that $3,000 and get another $3500 from VW to boot.
I know that I would have to spend the money fixing the car if this never happened, but I was already upset about having to replace the DMF. Now I will have to do that, and not keep the car.
So, my situation is that I will net $10,000, and if I had an '11 I would net $17,000.
Key factor is WHEN the loss of value occurred...
On a 2010 era car, most happened BEFORE diselgate...
On a 14 or 15, much happened AFTER DISELGATE....

Bisoned

Banned
TDI
13 Passat

had you not done all this work, would today's outcome be any different? Nobody put a gun to your head telling you you had to research, explain, etc.... That was all your choice. There is nobody saying you have to sell the car back. you can keep it, as is. You can keep it and get it fixed. You will be compensated if you get it fixed. What am I missing?

VW is a business and their obligations are to their stockholders. They want to get out of this at a minimum of cost. They don't look at you as a future potential customer..... their goal is to pay enough to satisfy the US govt, EPA, CARB, etc..... and not a penny more.

Bisoned

Banned
TDI
13 Passat
Well said.

Now lets discuss how VW is going to compensate me for the pair of pants i ruined spilling coffee on them while laughing at kayoss's post.
My hourly 'reading about dieselgate' wage is 220 per hour, and my pants were worth 50 bucks plus an incidental accident charge of 740 dollars. And of course the mental anguish fee is 320 per second.

I think if you use kayoss' logic HE should be reimbursing you for the damages caused by the uncontrollable laughter caused by his post.

I'm still chuckling. a good deep belly laugh, for sure.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

Since I own both a 10 and 11, I understand where you're coming from. The calculated difference between the two is $6600. For the 11, it is showing an annual cost of about $1000 not including fuel and maintenance. For the 10, it is showing an annual cost of $2000. That's a mighty big jump in depreciation. If I take the mileage out of the calculations, I still come up about $4200 less for the 10. Yes, I understand that I've owned the 10 18 months longer but that seems like a fairly heavy hit. I guess though it is really just 6 months based on model year.

Status
Not open for further replies.