New Dieselgate Forum

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Ok lets try this diesel gate is what it is, I highly doubt there will be any major changes , the layers have gotten their cash, some are happy w the outcome some are not, is that better for you?

Stop, please.

This thread is to talk about the Dieselgate forum - suggestions for improvements, and that sort of thing. This is not a thread to talk about how much you love your car, what you're going to get for a buyback amount, or how you feel about VW.

Thank you!

smilez

TDI
Passat B7
Some interesting insight into the origination of this scandal. VW's Emissions-Cheating Defeat Device Was Developed By Audi In 1999 to Reduce Noise.
A new complaint filed by the New York Supreme Court has cast Volkswagen's diesel emissions cheating scandal in an all-new light. Earlier today, we reported that the suit accuses former VW Group CEO Martin Winterkorn, current CEO Matthias Müller, and other key executives as being more aware of the cheating than VW's initial claims. Interestingly, the complaint also reveals the origins of VW's emissions-cheating defeat device, which is no doubt of huge interest those following this story.
The complaint, which was obtained by Road & Track, cites internal documents from VW, employee testimony, and a third-party investigation by the New York Attorney General's office.
Seemingly confirming a report that emerged this past April, Audi originally developed the defeat device software back in 1999, though not for the reason you think. The complaint says that the software was developed for Audi's 3.0-liter V6 diesel as part of an initiative to reduce the characteristically harsh, clattering noise of a diesel engine at idle.
Audi developed a piece of technology called "Pilot Injection" that injected additional fuel into the engine upon ignition, which achieved the effect of reducing noise, but increased emissions significantly. To combat this issue, Audi then developed the now-infamous defeat device software that detects when a car is undergoing emissions testing, and reduces emissions accordingly. The defeat device was internally called an "Acoustic Function," which was previously believed to be a code phrase intended to mask its true function.
The Acoustic Function was used on European-market 3.0-liter diesel V6 Audis from 2004-2008, according to the complaint. It was in 2006 when Volkswagen engineers made the fateful decision to adapt the defeat device for its Generation 1 EA189 engine, better known as the 2.0-liter TDI that's now at the heart of VW's scandal.
VW engineers apparently considered using selective catalytic reduction (SCR) technology in this engine, which uses liquid urea to reduce nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions. The only trouble with this was that it would facilitate the need for a separate urea tank, and it would have to license the tech from Mercedes-Benz.
Instead, the engineers opted for a Lean Trap solution, which involves trapping NOx emissions in a catalytic converter and occasionally running the engine in a fuel-rich mode to break down the NOx into nitrogen and oxide. Unfortunately, this caused the engine's Soot Filters to prematurely fail due to excess buildup, which was deemed unacceptable. At this point, the engineers decided that using the "Acoustic Function" was the only way to achieve their goals, a decision apparently approved by management.
In further iterations of this engine and in Audi's 3.0-liter V6 TDI engine, the defeat device continued to be used for a variety of reasons. As you likely know at this point, a team of West Virginia researchers blew the whistle on VW, leading to all sorts of fallout, most notably, a near-$15 billion settlement with the U.S. government.
The complaint does a great job of presenting the slippery slope of the so-called Acoustic Function. Its intent was always to evade emissions testing, but an increasingly desperate Volkswagen Group leaned on it further and further, resulting in the trouble it's in today. Knowing what we know now, it seems VW's current issues were very easily avoidable.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
OK, why is the current megathread (with associated poll) closed? Is this an error, or do you just expect a bunch of smaller, targeted threads now?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
OK, why is the current megathread (with associated poll) closed? Is this an error, or do you just expect a bunch of smaller, targeted threads now?
The megathread was closed for clean-up. I'll reopen it in a little bit. Smaller, more targeted threads are certainly more effective for sharing information, but I understand that some folks like the megathread, so it can continue as long as it doesn't get out of hand with the insults and politics.

Bugdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI 6M
Re - phrased. I'd like members to consider a 2008-2010 Passat wagon to replace your JSW. I just bought a 2010 example to replace mine. After almost 1k miles on it I can say that it is superior in every way except MPG, with a still - respectable 32 hwy. I found a number of we'll maintained Passat wagons in my search. The 2.0L turbo gasser is as far as I can tell bullet proof (I have a mainly trouble free 98k on my wife's A3). And, I will end up $5k to the good. Give one a look!

nesdon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW, 2009 & 1998 Jetta Sedans
I had followed the megathread early on, but bailed as the flames grew higher. I heard a news piece that July 29 was when the buy backs would start, so came in to find the straight dope (which this forum excels at) but can't find anything. Am I lost or misinformed?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I had followed the megathread early on, but bailed as the flames grew higher. I heard a news piece that July 29 was when the buy backs would start, so came in to find the straight dope (which this forum excels at) but can't find anything. Am I lost or misinformed?
Oh, the straight information is all in here -somewhere- or there are links to it, but there are just too many posts. It would be nice if there was a stickied thread that was updated to summarize just the relevant facts of Dieselgate, but that would just detract from a lot of the entertainment value of Threadzillas I & II (look for the numbers of posts, you'll know which those are).
If you're starting out cold, I suggest that you find a link to the site where the court settlement document is posted. That is, if you have the stomach to read that sort of thing......

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
When I go to my VW dealer's website, they have a link that takes you directly to vwcourtsettlement.com. From there, go to "Check My Eligibility & Access Online Portal", enter your information, and it leads you through the steps to register your vehicle and make an election for buyback - if that's what you wish to do. You have the option to change your mind later.

Timing is set for mid-October when the court will give final stamp of approval for VW to move forward with buybacks. The terms have already been agreed on with the July 26 court ruling.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Both. Buybacks may start in October. November seems more likely for many of us.
Buy back (mine) looking to good to be true.

Bought July 15, 2015. Buy back $25,275 ~~ no matter what date I turn it in. As I am a low miles driver

BTHORE

TDI
jetta2010/passat2014
Opt Out of the class settlement.

OPTION #1: :confused::confused:Opt Out of the class settlement by September 15, 2016 (Recommended)- by perhaps an attorney looking out for his best interests. Any strong opinions out there as to this option?? Debating with myself if it will be cost effective to opt out & let one of the 10 soliciting attorneys represent me?? thx b

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
OPTION #1: :confused::confused:Opt Out of the class settlement by September 15, 2016 (Recommended)- by perhaps an attorney looking out for his best interests. Any strong opinions out there as to this option?? Debating with myself if it will be cost effective to opt out & let one of the 10 soliciting attorneys represent me?? thx b
My $.02

Have you figured the vw buy back amount?

In my case it is a pocket full of cash and a free ride for months.

With the vw buy back there is no lawyer fee

Good luck

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
OPTION #1: :confused::confused:Opt Out of the class settlement by September 15, 2016 (Recommended)-
1) Bold is not required unless you are shouting at someone
2) Recommended by whom?
3) Any individual suit will not be decided for many years. Opt out of the (nearly) immediate settlement and you can probably count on a 10 to 15 year slog through our slow and appeal laden legal system. Then you and your lawyer(s) will split whatever you are finally awarded. How much will you get? Your guess is as good as mine, but I wouldn't count on it as your retirement fund.

Have Fun!

Don

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Re - phrased. I'd like members to consider a 2008-2010 Passat wagon to replace your JSW. I just bought a 2010 example to replace mine. After almost 1k miles on it I can say that it is superior in every way except MPG, with a still - respectable 32 hwy. I found a number of we'll maintained Passat wagons in my search. The 2.0L turbo gasser is as far as I can tell bullet proof (I have a mainly trouble free 98k on my wife's A3). And, I will end up $5k to the good. Give one a look!
We almost bought a Passat wagen a few years back but didn't like that it required premium at the time. It was (is) a very nice car but that was when pump prices were shooting through the roof.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Nothing against attorneys, but the class-action attorneys have already done the heavy lifting. So by opting out, you're on the hook for attorney costs, even if they only take percentage of what's awarded to you and not charge you a retainer. You could end up with a gross higher amount awarded to you, IF the court/jury grants it to you, but subtract your attorney costs, very possible you'll net the same amount or less in your pocket. It's also entirely possible you'll get nothing, and you won't be able to go back to class action settlement because you opted out. That's a worst case scenario, and you'll likely end up somewhere in between. In the end, you'll likely find it wasn't worth the time and effort to get what you got. The VW "buyback/restitution" is very generous to begin with, and those who say it isn't are not being rational. A higher award will require substantiation to a jury, AND they agree the harm to you was lawfully greater than what what was being granted by the original buyback/restitution agreement, and then award you a higher amount. They could also award you a lower amount. I'll be honest, if I was sitting on a jury for a trial like this, unless you have very compelling evidence, I would be thinking "why didn't he just take class action amount?".

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
I have a very strong opinion about hiring lawyers and engaging in lawsuits. You asked so here's mine.

I don't admire or trust lawyers. A lawyer who gets involved in this or any legal matter is going to help himself first and you last if there's anything left. I've received several lawyer solicitations over the VW v EPA issue and promptly lined my waste basket with them.

I consider VWs fooling the EPA for years a commendable act. I love turbo-diesels and German cars. I was very pleased with my high mileage TDI before we learned of this issue and am still very pleased. Nothing has changed for me.

To me the settlement offers made by VW are more than generous. The cash payments offered by VW are far more than my car is worth in a free market transaction. I'm making arrangements to accept a buy back and purchase a new VW GSW TDI DSG when they're released.

What's to worry or complain about? Be happy. Be satisfied.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
My wife the attorney called two law firms regarding possible suits. After chatting, and doing the math from one of their examples, if said firm won $60,000 in a settlement, we'd get to keep $18,000.
Guess we'll wait and see what the fix is...

TDI4ever!

TDI
2010 Jetta
I have looked at the 32 page settlement numerous times. The more I look the more confusing with questions it gets. I have come to believe this settlement is a con job between the EPA and VW against the owners involved.

TDI4ever!

TDI
2010 Jetta
My wife the attorney called two law firms regarding possible suits. After chatting, and doing the math from one of their examples, if said firm won $60,000 in a settlement, we'd get to keep $18,000.
Guess we'll wait and see what the fix is...
Where did the $42,000.00 go?

TDI4ever!

TDI
2010 Jetta
Time to Switch

If this goes against my best interests I will buy a BMW 328D instead. My wife has a 2016 Xdrive 328D and it is magnificent.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I have looked at the 32 page settlement numerous times. The more I look the more confusing with questions it gets. I have come to believe this settlement is a con job between the EPA and VW against the owners involved.
seems right. when the scandal broke, we took a picture of the KBB of our car: $14,500 approx.
now we're told the trade value being used is $8000? Granted, we'll get a tad more than the $14,500, but the way they arrived at the price is confusing to say the least.
uh huh...

Last edited:

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
>
Fm > GCafouros
Is there an option to not fix the car and not sell it back to VW? .........
Yes, the third option is to find an attorney to sue VW for Fraud.....
There is a third option, which seems to be very lightly mentioned.
As this has been mentioned earlier, however, I strongly suggest that one at least reads the incoming legal solicitation mail on this subject.

Here is California, we have much stricter fraud statutes, with preliminary
feedback the the awards on a fraud case....the attorney fees are separate, and not part of the awards to the plaintiffs ( VW Owners ).

JRSYJET

TDI
13 Passat TDI SE 6M
There is an option to get a fix (if approved), & trade it in! Keep the restitution $$

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
>Yes, the third option is to find an attorney to sue VW for Fraud.....
There is a third option, which seems to be very lightly mentioned.
As this has been mentioned earlier, however, I strongly suggest that one at least reads the incoming legal solicitation mail on this subject.

Here is California, we have much stricter fraud statutes, with preliminary
feedback the the awards on a fraud case....the attorney fees are separate, and not part of the awards to the plaintiffs ( VW Owners ).
Actually, that would be the fourth option. The third option, which may be dependent on your state of residence, is to do nothing, get nothing.

Dimentionaldame

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I have also been plagued with costly repairs on my 2010 Jetta diesel. The gas mileage was fantastic but the repairs outweighed the savings. I do have to admit I only replaced the brake pads once and the muffler is original equipment at 200.000 miles. This car was over engineered as the electronic parts and all the flaps (exhaust manifold) within the system are quirky and prone to repair. I will defiantly be doing the buyback and crossing over to a Honda Accord for gas mileage and longevity. Sorry VW for breaking our long love affair