Why bother to accept a buy back?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Not old enough or classic enough for Cuba. In my ideal world, I will go to Cuba and buy an old aircooled VW to bring home as my toy. Of course, a 55 or 57 drop top chevy would also be nice.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Not old enough or classic enough for Cuba. In my ideal world, I will go to Cuba and buy an old aircooled VW to bring home as my toy. Of course, a 55 or 57 drop top chevy would also be nice.
I was just jesting. Turned in Gen 1's will probably be scrapped. Gen 2 & 3 cars may be fixed and kept by the OP's or sold as used cars, and if that's not an option, VW could sell them elsewhere; maybe South America as transportation costs my be acceptable.

TDI Hoo

TDI
2010 Golf TDI (Bought back by VW)
Our 2010 TDI Golf has 143K miles. One of the lawyers here in my state wants the trial moved back here. He says in my state you generally get treble damages, or 3x what VW is offering. That would be a good deal. Lawyer gets a set amount not deducted from the triple damages award. I am keeping my options open. But he thinks there is a good chance for the higher damages payment if you don't settle with VW. Money talks.
So, the class action suit for Virginia has been moved from California to Virginia. Lawyer now says we have a very good chance of getting 3x what VW offers. :)

Jbdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT, 2012 Jetta TDI 6mt (sold)
i have read all of the posts. most of you are in a different situation than i am. here is why i am having a hard time knowing what to do, while i am leaning towards the buy back if offered.

i have 2013 passat tdi 6mt. i get 46-47mpg overall all of the time.
i have 111000 miles on it, my commute is 55miles one way.
the stupid adblue heater is broke. i have not fixed it and want to know what the buyback or fix is before i spend $$ and time to fix the dumb heater. i already got a fine for out of date inspection sticker that i hope to reduce because VW is looking to buy back my car.

I like the torque and mileage. it drives nice. i love having a manual. i taught my oldest son to drive a manual with it.
but i need a third car for my son to drive as he can also taxi my other two kids around which takes that load off of the wife.

so if buy back is good, i could replace this one car with two used cars. one for me, one for my kids. that is my logic so far. and a buyback means i don't have to do the adblue heater fix.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I feel like I was in a position a bit like yours when I needed my timing belt done at 130K miles just a month ago. I decided to go ahead and get it done. I still love driving the car and it's perfect for my commute.

I'm thinking that even if there is a buyback with a decent valuation and "generous compensation", maybe $5000, I'd still end up having a big bill to pay to move to a new car. I'm hoping I can wait as long as possible, maybe 2 or 3 more years to take whatever it is they offer. At least then maybe I'll be satisfied that I extracted as much value from my car as I can. We'e in that time when a car is a great value, as long as it doesn't have a major problem. I don't know what the heater costs, but to me it seems it might be worth it to pay to get it fixed.

TDI Hoo

TDI
2010 Golf TDI (Bought back by VW)
uhhh...say what?
Yep. In Virginia we may be able to get treble (triple) damages. Could even be triple the original purchase price. Will have to wait and see after June 21. Message me if you want the name of one of the lawyers who is handling this in Virginia. Seems like a good guy. No cost to have him represent you. VW pays him directly if he wins, and we get the full damage award.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
The e46 M3 is a great car. Only thing to worry about is vanos and maybe the timing chain tensioner.
Had one of those brand new in 2005 (see my sig). ECU died after just 1200 miles. Also, rear subframe is an issue for those that drive their car hard or track them.

As for my Golf? As others have already said, if VW offers a good deal, chances are I'll take it. Mustang GT350 or GT350R if the wife agrees sounds nice right about now. I don't commute 200 miles a day anymore so the Golf sits in the garage most of the time so why not?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Had one of those brand new in 2005 (see my sig). ECU died after just 1200 miles. Also, rear subframe is an issue for those that drive their car hard or track them.
As for my Golf? As others have already said, if VW offers a good deal, chances are I'll take it. Mustang GT350 or GT350R if the wife agrees sounds nice right about now. I don't commute 200 miles a day anymore so the Golf sits in the garage most of the time so why not?
Yeah I've since learned about the somewhat weak rear sub frame on the E36 & E46. I think the best bang for the buck BMW is likely a daily driver like a E90 of some flavor (328i, 335i or M3) or for a more luxo sports car the E39 M5 for M cars. A E60 528i with sport pack, 535i for go fast or the same formula with the F10... 528i with sport pack or 535i for go fast.

Again, I'm really holding off dreaming for now. Honestly, I'm hoping that VW offers a good enough deal to trade up to a newer GSW or even better a GTI. I too am not traveling anywhere near as much with my car on a daily basis. And it looks like a possible new job will have a 20 mile commute each way so diesel doesn't look like a huge deal to me if that does indeed work out.

obiwan1129

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (Buyback)
We bought our 2013 SportWagen about a month before we knew my wife was pregnant with #3. My poor 8 yr old son is squished in the middle between a car seat and a booster seat. Selfishly we need to go up to a bigger car and if the buyback details are advantageous...we're cashing out.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Interesting that the title of this thread is "why accept a buyback" but recent posts are all about what people will do when they do accept a buyback.

Of course there are good reasons to change to another car, but I'm betting the buyback offer isn't going to be one of them. The benefits of driving a VW TDI are difficult to duplicate in another car, and if you own Gen 1 car you like you'll be hard pressed to find a worthy replacement without spending more money than your car's worth along with what VW offers.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
No arguements on that IBW. In all of our conversations, we (wife and I) keep coming back to this: Give us back the differences on msrp between the gasser and the diesel and let me keep my cars as they are. We shall see if that is at all possible next week.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I like the older TDIs, but willing to pay for upgrades and deletes when the time comes to make my 2014 JSW more durable, after the drive train warranty expires. I bought the car expecting to do this anyway. The A6/MkVI variant has so many features that really appeal to me. Nothing has really changed for me.

And back to the topic of the OP, I am betting that we will get confirmation when the options are outlined later this month that there will be no option that will not cost me more money besides keeping my car. As I said, I planned the upgrades and deletes.

And even more important to me, I like the driving characteristics of a TDI. There just isn't a substitute for a small, light, efficient powerful engine with surprising low end torque out there. None. I intend to keep this JSW on the road for the long haul.

Last edited:

Jbdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT, 2012 Jetta TDI 6mt (sold)
An issue I will be most interested in is if the fix for my Passat is a program change which negatively impacts performance. I bought the car knowing I could get mid 40's mpg and for the torque feel, the manual option and for the more engaging German car feel. If the fix makes fuel economy nose dive and torque and Hp drop, I won't want to keep it so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armourbl

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4DR
Just in case you guys haven't heard yet, the June 21st hearing was bumped back a week until the 28th.

More info here:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-idUSKCN0Z12VI
LOL. VW wants to thank its customers for their continued patience... Like we have any other choice. :mad:

I'm not foaming at the mouth mad or greedy, but some closure sure would be nice.

As for as being on topic goes, if by some chance the compensation and buy-back rate makes it a financial no-brainer then I will likely do the buy back. I don't have a clue what I'll get to replace it at this point.

If they allow me to keep the car, unmolested or changed with some sort of grandfather clause, then I'll happily keep the car and at some point do the deletes to make it more efficient and reliable.

ben

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
WARNING: This thread is in serious danger of turning into just another Threadzilla where people just waste time arguing the same points over and over again. Let's keep this thread on topic and it will continue. If this thread becomes just another place to vent our frustrations about how slowly this is proceeding - it WILL get closed. Wait until June 28 (or whenever) and threadzilla will reopen and everyone can get their chance to comment then. Remember, this thread is about why someone might want to or not want to accept a potential buyback (if and whenever it occurs).

Have Fun!

Don

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
An issue I will be most interested in is if the fix for my Passat is a program change which negatively impacts performance. I bought the car knowing I could get mid 40's mpg and for the torque feel, the manual option and for the more engaging German car feel. If the fix makes fuel economy nose dive and torque and Hp drop, I won't want to keep it so much.
This is a good point. I owned the Chattanooga Passat (SE 6MT), and was VERY impressed with the engine performance and astonishing mileage (better than my JSW). But a loss of performance/mileage would indeed be hard to take!

Since Passat already has the urea injection system, perhaps any retrofit may be limited to software, or software and new injectors or something. But these things can be reversed if you are forced to do it in your state. And it may cost less to get a tune and replace injectors than accept a buyback. In fact, you may end up with higher performance and even higher FE!

One issue might be that we will not be able to "test" the fix before agreeing to it! That might cause some to reject the fix, and accept the buyback.

billmc2010TDI

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportswagen
Further Delay! Fine Print??

Thanks ATR,

It suggests to me the "fix" and/or "buy back" options are not fully baked in, or possibly the penalty amounts to government agencies. Then there will be a 30-day comment period, if I understand correctly.

I will be most-curious to see if and how each vehicle's condition will affect the buy back option. My 2010 has been great, but, e.g, moonroof partially off track/can't open or close, radio died last Fall, cv joint noises, not to mention the likely Achilles' heels yet to occur.

If the deal isn't good enough, I will likely file suit. As an environmental atty., can't tell you how many friendly digs about "how's that zero emissions vehicle working for you now?" I bought for the mileage to travel to help ailing parents, but I told many that I was proud to (finally) drive a ZEV -- or so they falsely represented!

Safe driving all,
Bill

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Thanks ATR,

It suggests to me the "fix" and/or "buy back" options are not fully baked in, or possibly the penalty amounts to government agencies. Then there will be a 30-day comment period, if I understand correctly.

I will be most-curious to see if and how each vehicle's condition will affect the buy back option. My 2010 has been great, but, e.g, moonroof partially off track/can't open or close, radio died last Fall, cv joint noises, not to mention the likely Achilles' heels yet to occur.

If the deal isn't good enough, I will likely file suit. As an environmental atty., can't tell you how many friendly digs about "how's that zero emissions vehicle working for you now?" I bought for the mileage to travel to help ailing parents, but I told many that I was proud to (finally) drive a ZEV -- or so they falsely represented!

Safe driving all,
Bill
I'll bet you have a rcd510. They are troublesome in that they tend to fail after 3-6 years. The good news is they are easy to replace and fairly inexpensive to buy on eBay.

As for the ZEV label. Nope its not never was marketed for that either. I'm pretty certain it was either a ULEV or LEV. When I get flack about my massive polluter tdi I always set the record straight as should many other tdi owners. It was always ONLY NOx emissions that was "up to" 40 times the legal limit. All other emissions from the tailpipe are much less than a comparable gasoline powered car. A clean napkin wipe of a stock tdi then a comparable gasoline powered car will prove that point.

That said vw still installed software that turned off certain emissions systems that made NOx output skyrocket under certain conditions.

Back to the thread title, I might go back to gasoline if the incentive is there for it. My guess, until we get official confirmation from vw, is that dealers will offer a nice price on top of the buy back.

Funduro

TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
I'm more inclined to get the buy back and loyalty compensation on a 2017 Golf SE or SEL. I do like the diesel/DSG combo but not married to it. I like the getting a Golf 5 door with upto date regular gas engine improved performance due to turbo/direct injection and factory HID lights. Sure I will loose the panoramic sunroof and get a reg sized one instead but then I'll get a better radi and sound system, full warranty, new brakes and tires and so on. I actually have an offer from a car dealer for my car about one month before the sheet hit VW's fan. So I actually have a document with a dealer trade in value approximately one year ago. I'm pragmatic and feel that keeping the 2011 TDI is not in my best interests and I kinda like getting a new car with a good price break. My biggest fear is that several years down the road the TDI's will be forced from the road by EPA and/or insurance companies low ball replacement value. To each his own as they say.

Last edited:

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
I'm inclined to accept an attractive buyback because my vehicle usage needs have changed enough to make me look to a different style of vehicle. (oh...and because I don't care for the cheap seat materials the VW idiots put in the US Golfs).
I had been able to make the Golf do what i needed when I'd drive up to my hunting cabin 3 hrs away. I had a trailer to haul a motorcycle, atv, deer carcasses or whatever. Even pulling the cycle on the trailer, I got about 35 mpg. But...over time, i saw the issues.... once snow was deep enough...it would defeat the Nokian Hak's. and I couldn't get into the cabin. I've also been without a boat tow vehicle since i sold my truck...and would like to have that capability again.
I really don't like most options I see out there for alternate vehicles.... There are no reasonably priced diesel trucks or suvs. There are no small pickups any more like my old Nissan Hardbody.
I may be able to inherit a family F150 or Honda Pilot for a reasonable price... I'd sit on the buyback money then and save it to buy reasonably priced used options.

TwinWagons

TDI
2 x 2014 Sportwagons
I'd love to keep our cars but would be very, very concerned with the reliability after everything on the car was "repaired" - from the engine controls, to the exhaust and cats, to the body panels with holes drilled (or more), to the interior with seats, carpets, panels, and dashboard removed and messed with. How may little clips would be bent or broken during this process? What sorts of rattles and wind whistles would develop over the next few years? How would I feel if I had trouble with the DPF, HPFP, etc. later, whether it was related to the "repair" or not?
There would need to be an incredibly good warranty for accepting a fix to make sense for me.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I wonder if the new TDI's will be certified again, and if VWUSA will offer them in 2016...
We are all wondering the same thing. Perhaps we will learn something in about 10 days (June 28), but we probably won't know for sure until at least the end of July - after the 30 day comment period.

Have Fun!

Don

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
I wonder if the new TDI's will be certified again, and if VWUSA will offer them in 2016...
The more I drive my JSW TDI the more I wonder this. I really don't want to give up 25% fuel economy..and a manual.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I've got over 122K on our 2012 JSW so I'm definitely more interested in a buyback rather than dump a few thousand dollar in the upcoming service intervals. I just passed the 120K HPFP extended warranty threshold so I'm starting to feel like I'm driving on borrowed time. That's not a fun feeling and detracts from enjoying my ride in the same way I used to. Nothing the ALH buggie can't give me other than creature comforts...and I tow a trailer with the bug which I can't do with the wagon so I even end up with more space if necessary.

The only thing I am considering is whether I want/need a replacement and whether that replacement will be a diesel. It's not looking likely so far.

smosh

TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 2012 JSW TDI
My (possible) plan is to replace my Golf with two used vehicles - a late 90s Land Cruiser and a late 90s/early aughts Saab (or other) convertible. As immediately as possible. Really don't want to spend the money on a new VW, even with incentives. Or any other new car. Very excited to live my LandCruiser/Saab dream.

Probably keep my wife's JSW for a few years until just before the buyback window closes. It's newer, fewer miles, much better shape. We had planned on keeping that one long enough to be the extra car for the kids who are now 12 and 10. Not sure if that will happen now!

swcrow17

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
If buyback covers what I owe and a little more.....I'm going back to a MKII 8 or 16v.