can I use GLX power memory seats on my B5.5?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Hmmm.... maybe LugNut and I both have opinionated tape measures. :p
Never said you were wrong. I am sure you are correct. Tape measures do not lie. As stated earlier, I have never put them to a tape measure. Just actual seat time.

Just stating an opinion which I am clearly dilusional about and obviously have no standing.

Again, opinions and preferences will vary.....

With that, I am out of this thread as it has gotten silly as most seem to do here.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Amen to that! The manual B5.5 seat bottoms do lower nicely in the back to give me plenty of thigh support and having bad knees, I like that feature. I definitely love the "couch" (cute analogy,Oilhammer) effect the Taurus seats give my B4s on long trips. While the B4s do have the best manual adjustment variability of any platform IMO, those low seatbacks suck. Hopefully I can squelch my thread now if everyones's done. Thanks for all the input guys.

magnumak

TDI
2004 Passat wagon
to those that have done the switch can you tell me what the third small wire is for in the red power connection block for the elec memory seats?

Also when I hooked up the seat to power via that red block (brown to neg and blue/red to pos) the 3 memory buttons still take the seat to separate positions so it looks like memory will still work.

2002 passat sedan 4motion donor car going into 2004 passat tdi

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I'd need a Passat wiring diagram to answer that question. It's possible the later memory seats had the memory stored in the seat controller... my 99 could be different.

-J

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
If it is black and yellow, it looks like it is supplying power to the memory box as it is fused power from fuse #11

magnumak

TDI
2004 Passat wagon
If it is black and yellow, it looks like it is supplying power to the memory box as it is fused power from fuse #11
I think thats it, cant look at it right now cause its on a barge on its way north now.

I dont know anything about the memory feature of the seats in this year/model but is there a connection between seat memory settings and side mirrors too but via one of the other connections?

All I did to test the seat before I shipped it and the car was hook up power to the mains and it moved like it was supposed to and then went to 3 different memory positions so I cant figure out what the other power to memory is accomplishing.

magnumak

TDI
2004 Passat wagon

it is black and yellow, so did you run an additional power supply to it from fuse 11?

Also there is a brown multi wire connection on the new power seat that isnt on the manual seat with 3 larger metal tabs and 6 small ones. What if anything did you hook that up to? (never mind on the brown connector question. Went back to the link listed previously and the brown connector is identified for the memory function. Still not clear on the small black and yellow wire in the red connector)

pics of both seat connections below

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=91050&title=manual-seat&cat=500

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Great read, a few good chuckles. I too have an opinionated tape measure Im told

Been on an evolutionary trip trying to find a real option to install power seats in my B5.5. Went from thinking A6 to realizing Passat GLX is a better fitting option.

Any GLX power seats for sale around the S.F./Sacramento/central valley area? Preferably tan in good condition?

thanks in advance