stalling issue at idle, finally have some codes...

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
I have been struggling with this car for almost a year of on and off stalling at idle. I have replaced a laundry list of items and it cured it for a while. Now its back and the car won't run for more than a 10-20 seconds.

Here is what a scan showed this afternoon...

16497 - Intake Air Temp. Sensor (G42)
P0113 - 000 - Signal too High
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Torque: 108.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 11.25 V
Temperature: 133.2∞C
Temperature: 24.3∞C
Temperature: 38.7∞C

18000 - Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor
P1592 - 000 - Implausible Correlation
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Torque: 0.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 11.25 V
Bin. Bits: 00001100
Absolute Pres.: 877.2 mbar
Absolute Pres.: 1907.4 mbar

I am going to check for the obvious damaged wires etc. Are these sensors capable of killing the car like this? Should I just replace them? Over 200k on this TDI.

Thank You,
Kristian

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
I just went out to the garage and cleaned the MAF and the IAT sensors and when I restarted I got a oil warning light and STOP flashed on the dash. I did not see if it said wether it was oil pressure or level. There is plenty of oil in the crankcase. This car did have a BSM delete and a Jetta pump fitted from what the PO told me. Judging from the quality of his other work on the car I need to be sure it has pressure. Does anybody know what thread size and or tool to measure this with? Sigh...I need to get this car running.

Does VCDS report oil pressure? I guess if the sensor is faulty it would not but does it with a good sensor?

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
Thats the funny thing, this engine fires instantly. It stalled 3 or 4 times in a row after about 10 seconds of running. Maybe it was the perfect storm to set the oil STOP warning. Regardless I have a gauge on the way and will check it anyway.

So could those previous faults with the sensors cause a shutdown? I have a fuel filter on the way just to rule that out. Its odd that I would get these codes all of a sudden back to back. I really need some direction besides throwing money at it.

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
Thank you for the suggestions. I will check the grounds as you suggested. Once I verify I have oil pressure I will look at swapping the cps. I have replaced the 219 relay but I have not checked for blown fuses. Ty

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I Just had a car with corroded contacts on the 219 relay. Took the cover off the relay and cleaned contacts. Before sometimes it would start, sometimes not. When it did start it would randomly cut off. After cleaning, it has not shut off again.

Check that first as it is free, then the CPS.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Recently had a no start passat (albeit gasser). After checking the crank sensor and swapping with a known good one, I started tracing wires at the ECU. ECU connector was full of corrosion on those wires. Oddly only the crank sensor wires too.

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
So my oil pressure gauge arrived and all is well there. Shot right up to 65 which seemed high but it’s 40 out on a cold engine. While I was checking that there was not a single stutter or stall. It ran so well I took it out for a quick 5 miles and it drove fine. The only things I did was swap out a clamp on the fuel filter and clean the ait and map sensors with some alcohol. I’ve got a 50 mike commute tonight so I’ll see how it does.

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
It died on me on the way home a couple times and then it died 4-5 times back to back in the driveway. It always refires instantly. I’m starting to think this is a fueling issue. I still need to swap out the fuel filter.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
How long did it take before it started cutting off on you?

I don't recall if you said this but did you replace the CPS? If the CPS wire is brittle or has absorbed fuel/oil over time (as it sits directly below both filters, it will run fine when cold but cause fits as it heats up.

While running have you moved/jiggled wires to see if it will die? I have found this to be an effective check for the CPS cracked/broken wire problem as it will die immediately if the wire is damaged and you move it around.

Normally fueling issues will not restart immediately without at least a little hesitation.

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
I did not clarify this but if I am driving under way it won't die. Hot or cold. If I am in neutral and at idle I can keep it running with a little bit of pedal to raise idle. When I am driving around, I will pull up to a stop light and thats when it dies. As soon as I push in the clutch it may take a couple seconds +/- but that is when it usually dies. Not always mind you, but frequent enough to drive one to park it and threaten to part it out if it doesn't behave.

One thing I did that helped for a complete day was to squeeze the upper section of the fuel filter where the "t" mounts in. It was loose in the hole even with the clip in place and I thought it might be sucking air.

***Another thing that helped the other night was I cycled the key four times to run the in tank pump before driving off. It did not stall once until I got home some 40 minutes later. This must be a major clue, I just can't read it. ***

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
I just finished swapping out the fuel filter. I used a vacuum pump and pulled all the air out. It ran great, went on a short drive and when I got back it started stumbling. Then it started stalling out. I have this nagging feeling its an air in the fuel issue. I may go out and pull more fuel through the filter and see if I see any bubbles. How can I verify that the t is not leaking air? It is a fairly new one. Maybe I'll swap it for the old one and see what happens.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Get some clear hose to hook up to the supply and return to the tandem pump to see if air bubbles are present and where they maybe coming from. Also inspect the ends of each fuel line. As they age they can become brittle.

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
Solved!!!

While running have you moved/jiggled wires to see if it will die? I have found this to be an effective check for the CPS cracked/broken wire problem as it will die immediately if the wire is damaged and you move it around.

Normally fueling issues will not restart immediately without at least a little hesitation.
YAHTZEE!! CPS connector at firewall has a short. Verify starting and jiggle = engine dies. I'll pop onto RockAuto and get a new one.

Thank You VWZTips

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah. 95% of the time it is something simple with these cars.