F/S: Green 96 Passat B4 Sedan in NH

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
F/S: Green 96 Passat B4 Sedan in NH $1800

UPDATE 3/7/12 - SOLD

I am selling my green Passat. It has a lot of issues. I had posted earlier. It will take me a while to compile what I had listed before. However, you should know the good parts first. It drives fine, albeit low powered. I still use it regularly. The windows and doors all work. It still routinely gets 51 mpg. It has no trouble starting in the very cold mornings (like last week when it was about 3 F). Tires are fairly new. Here are some pictures: http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l557/campbellonh/
Some of the flaws are pointed out in the pictures.

Last edited:

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
I will take more pictures after I clean it up. I think I'll be driving it to HO5G in case anyone wants to check it out.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I washed it but it got dirty again before I could take more pictures. If my starting price is not reasonable, please let me know, even if you have no interest in it yourself.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
I may have discounted the MAF as the problem in error, because I disconnected it and have more power now. I know that is just the default value from the EGR, but it is better than it was.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
Bump.

Here are the issues that I know of:
It has a low power problem. Runs better with MAF unplugged.
It had a thrown code 00575 Intake manifold pressure control difference - intermittent. I cleared it and it hasn't come back. But it is still sluggish.
It has some rust on the doors. There is surface rust on the undersides, parts close to the ground, as would be expected of a car that spent its life in New Hampshire. We attempted to do body work ourselves, which was only partially successful.
The clearcoat is peeling.
The headliner fabric is falling off.
The backup lights don't work. (That may be a wiring thing. I can't find it.)
It has an oil leak. I have to add a quart about every 1000-1500 miles.
Oil light blinks FIXED!
The cluster sometimes acts funny. That is intermittent.
It does not shut off, even when you pull the key, if you try to shut it off while in reverse. It will shut off once you take it out of gear. SHuts off OK in all other gears.
AC does not work.
Driver's seat fabric has a tear.
It is due for a timing belt soon (within next 5000 miles).

History: I have most of the records since we've owned it. Nothing from PO, but we got it pretty "young" - certified pre-owned from dealer in Laconia. Odometer reads 264000, and title shows it had 67000 on cluster when it was replaced before we bought it, so actual mileage is 331000. Chris Hill and Rich Tremblay have worked on it, along with Seacoast Volkswagen for occasional things. Local good regular mechanic worked on non-TDI stuff.
New VR6 clutch installed during the summer (has about 3000 miles on it).
Brake work about a year ago (mostly by Rich Tremblay).
Alternator new last winter.
Suspension work (new shocks/struts/mounts, etc) done in Nov 2007 by Chris.
The pictures show the engine with the cover off. I do have the cover and it is in fine condition, as it has been sitting on a shelf in my garage for a very long time.

This list may not have everything that is wrong, just the things I remember as being wrong. I may be forgetting some things I've been living with. If you know me and this car and know something I forgot - give a shout please. If I remember other relevant things, I will add them.

I don't want to work on this one any more. It goes as is.

Last edited:

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
Bump - I had hoped a TDI fan with some knowledge would want to take this on as a project. I'll probably put it on Craig's list if there is no interest here.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
a 98 what?
I really only want 1 car that requires a lot of TLC. I have 2 Passats and am selling one. The other I will keep, trying to reach the 500K goal with that one. I would imagine a 98 of about the same value would probably require about the same amount of attention.

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
Not only that Cindy, I'm willing to bet it was a WVO test mule that he "learned" on- just look at his Callsign:rolleyes:

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I had been driving it to work for a few days, while I was waiting for parts for the white one. It was doing OK, even if slow on the hills. But - today it is not OK. It starts, but will not stay running. I looked things over. There are no air bubbles in the fuel lines. I didn't open any lines to the injectors to check there. The tank is not full, but still should have 4-5 gallons left in it.
I really just want it gone. It may just need a fuel filter, although the current one probably only has about 8-9K on it. In fact, I ordered a B4 filter pack for it, which should come in on Monday. I'll include that with this car. I don't want to work on it anymore. Come and get it.
It would probably be OK as a donor/parts car.

FIXED. it was the fuel filter.

Last edited:

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
I may change the fuel filter tonight and see if that helps the situation. Otherwise, a bump for a project car.

Note: If it turns out to just be a clogged filter for current issue, asking price goes back up. $1000 if doesn't run, $1800 if it does run. (Or best reasonable offer)

See new post #15 below. It was the fuel filter. Its running now.

Last edited:

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
Success with the fuel filter change. I guess it was clogged after all. I was doubtful. It hasn't been that long since the last time we changed it. But it is running OK again.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
Bump. I am willing to negotiate on the price. It is just a starting point. (The responses I've been getting from Craig's list indicate a severe lack of deisel education.) I have taken care of the ground issue (blinking lights). It was a chaffed wire bundle.

Last edited:

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
Bump. Drove around the state today, to keep it exercised. It behaved quite well except for one very long hill in Meredith, when it couldn't keep up to speed.