Will VW fix a car with an emissions related CEL?

2010vwjetta

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan (Salsa Red)
Hey guys, I have a currently stock 2010 TDI Jetta (118k miles) that I am considering having "fixed" by VW. My question is will they still fix the car even though it has a CEL? I can't remember the exact code but it was essentially insufficient EGR flow which after some research I found is most likely due to a clogged EGR filter from a cracked DPF.

Since this code occurred after the scandal broke I haven't done anything with it (plan is full emissions delete and tune), hoping that I could get the restitution money and pay for the parts and tune. Originally I thought I read that the fix would result in them replacing all of the emissions components but now it sounds like it is just a computer reflash so that has me worried they will want to charge to replace the DPF before doing the fix. There is a lot of info out there and I'm never sure if it pertains to my car or not. Thanks for any help!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Nope.

It's the owner's responsibility to fix any underlying problems prior to the fix being applied, and that includes replacement of a bad DPF. Doing so would eat up a significant part of the compensation money.

The fix on your car does indeed involve hardware replacement ... but not the DPF, unless it happens to be one of the rare 2010 models that has the 2009-style one-piece DPF and LNT catalyst ... but even then, VW has balked at situations like this, even when the fix itself involves replacing the faulty part in question. Does it make sense? No.

My opinion? Switch to buyback, let them have the car back. The baler doesn't care if the car being dropped into it has a bad DPF.

2010vwjetta

TDI
Nope.

It's the owner's responsibility to fix any underlying problems prior to the fix being applied, and that includes replacement of a bad DPF. Doing so would eat up a significant part of the compensation money.

The fix on your car does indeed involve hardware replacement ... but not the DPF, unless it happens to be one of the rare 2010 models that has the 2009-style one-piece DPF and LNT catalyst ... but even then, VW has balked at situations like this, even when the fix itself involves replacing the faulty part in question. Does it make sense? No.

My opinion? Switch to buyback, let them have the car back. The baler doesn't care if the car being dropped into it has a bad DPF.
I have already decided I don't want to do the buy back. I like this car too much and if I went to replace it I would want another diesel but don't have much interest in the newer stuff. Is there a good way of knowing what style DPF the car has?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
In that case ... you can just keep on driving, do nothing, get nothing if it is not economically viable to have the DPF and other components replaced. Bear in mind that this also means no HPFP warranty.

Only way to distinguish whether the DPF can be separated from the LNT is to crawl underneath to see where the flanges are that separate the various components. In order after the turbocharger: Oxidizing catalyst, DPF, LNT, H2S. There's always a flange after the oxidizing catalyst. The early ones have no flange between the DPF and the LNT. The later ones do.

2010vwjetta

TDI
In that case ... you can just keep on driving, do nothing, get nothing if it is not economically viable to have the DPF and other components replaced. Bear in mind that this also means no HPFP warranty.

Only way to distinguish whether the DPF can be separated from the LNT is to crawl underneath to see where the flanges are that separate the various components. In order after the turbocharger: Oxidizing catalyst, DPF, LNT, H2S. There's always a flange after the oxidizing catalyst. The early ones have no flange between the DPF and the LNT. The later ones do.
I'll have to take a look at the DPF then, I bet I could talk my local dealer into doing it if it's the older DPF they are replacing anyway.

Does the HPFP warranty only go into effect after the car has the fix done? I would still do the emissions delete and tune even if VW doesn't fix it. Just be out of pocket the money instead of the restitution money paying for it.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Yes, the extended warranty only starts when the fix is completed.

If you do an emissions delete and/or a tune ... your extended warranty goes out the window.

If you want a warranty on that HPFP ... and you do! ... you want that extended warranty to remain in effect.

I strongly urge anyone who goes through with the fix to leave the car stock afterward so that the extended warranty remains in effect, at least until such time that this extended warranty expires. The extended warranty covers all of the emission control components anyhow, so why remove them?

Get the fix done, LEAVE IT ALONE, until such time that the warranty is no longer in effect, wait until something breaks, THEN take whatever course of action is appropriate at that time ...

2010vwjetta

TDI
Yes, the extended warranty only starts when the fix is completed.

If you do an emissions delete and/or a tune ... your extended warranty goes out the window.

If you want a warranty on that HPFP ... and you do! ... you want that extended warranty to remain in effect.

I strongly urge anyone who goes through with the fix to leave the car stock afterward so that the extended warranty remains in effect, at least until such time that this extended warranty expires. The extended warranty covers all of the emission control components anyhow, so why remove them?

Get the fix done, LEAVE IT ALONE, until such time that the warranty is no longer in effect, wait until something breaks, THEN take whatever course of action is appropriate at that time ...
Interesting, that adds a little more complexity to the situation. What is really the failure rate on the HPFP? From what I had read when the issue first arose and VW sent out the "Diesel Only" stickers, it was mostly contributed to the cars being accidentally filled with some quantity of gasoline.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
I was in the same boat as you. Wanted to keep, was gonna do a tune etc.
I took the fix and the money. I'll ride out the warranty and then do what I want at that point in time.
I'm at 167k on original HPFP. More often than not, the HPFP is fine. But it's PASS/FAIL on these with little to no warning signs, which makes it seem more nerve wracking.
Some had theirs fail at 18k miles while somebody went over 600,000km on his original HPFP. So who knows?

If I were in your shoes, I'd take the advice given above. Good luck!

2010vwjetta

TDI
I was in the same boat as you. Wanted to keep, was gonna do a tune etc.
I took the fix and the money. I'll ride out the warranty and then do what I want at that point in time.
I'm at 167k on original HPFP. More often than not, the HPFP is fine. But it's PASS/FAIL on these with little to no warning signs, which makes it seem more nerve wracking.
Some had theirs fail at 18k miles while somebody went over 600,000km on his original HPFP. So who knows?

If I were in your shoes, I'd take the advice given above. Good luck!
Thanks for the input, any opinion on what to do with the DPF?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Talk to the dealer. Tell them what the situation is. Ask questions. Get an estimate on what it's going to take to get the fix done. The money to fix the DPF will come out of your compensation for getting the fix, so you won't end up with as much in your pocket BUT you will get warranty coverage on the DPF and HPFP for a few years. Put the thoughts of modifying the car out of your mind ... leave it alone until that warranty is done.

2010vwjetta

TDI
Talk to the dealer. Tell them what the situation is. Ask questions. Get an estimate on what it's going to take to get the fix done. The money to fix the DPF will come out of your compensation for getting the fix, so you won't end up with as much in your pocket BUT you will get warranty coverage on the DPF and HPFP for a few years. Put the thoughts of modifying the car out of your mind ... leave it alone until that warranty is done.
I am sure it is my paperwork but how long is the new warranty? I would probably just replace the DPF myself then take in for the fix.

Motodude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 q7tdi. 2012 q7tdi
I had the hpfp go out 3 times on one car and 1 time on another. Car is junk then. Luckily they were all under warranty. I would take the buyback and consider yourself lucky you didnt end up w a junked car like many people I know did. Way too many high ticket things that can go wrong w these cars. If you are dead set on wanting this exact car why not do buyback then buy another one that is already fixed, couple years newer w less miles for the same money, and has warranty. I see them going for cheap now since the market has been flooded w them.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Keep in mind that if you let them have the car back and take the buyback (bad DPF and all - it won't matter), you can probably get yourself into a new or lightly-used (fixed) 2015 for not a whole lot of extra money (possibly nothing), and that will come with an 11 year 162,000 mile warranty (or maybe a bit less if you buy a fixed used 2015). The alternative of going the fix route - you will have to replace more than just the DPF, the fault code you are getting also relates to the EGR filter being clogged - will probably net you a small amount of cash after doing the DPF and EGR repairs, but now your warranty is only good for 48,000 mi.

Goatfish

TDI
2011 Jetta
All I did was delete my code from the ecu and took it to vw and they did the fix no problemo , money came a week later . Than when the code came back I got vw to fix it under warranty .

bluecrab

TDI
2012 Sportwagen
I had my fix completed a few weeks ago. I had CEL of with EGR fault codes/bad DPF. I was up front about the code and I had paperwork that it had been diagnosed in Oct 2015 at 90k. I had requested VW sympathetic warranty then but their hands were tied due to the legal action.

I was told by the Svc Manager that due to a large number of vehs having their fault codes reset prior to drop off, they now have to pull a detailed log of the ECU so VW can see if anyone has done a reset prior to drop-off like the prior posted got away with.

I tried to be nice and reminded the dealer my family had bought several cars there. End result was dealer going to bat for me and a sympathetic warranty for the DPF.

I was prepared to fight and point out that the excessive emissions would likely stress a part like the DPF which has to undergo regens to clean it. There is a good argument for this. If you have the one-piece DPF/cat your approach abut it needing to be replaced anyway could work.

The best advice is to start as the nice customer to the shop and argue as the suffering customer to VW. If you win, you still want the shop to like you before they do the work.

Last edited:

2010vwjetta

TDI
All I did was delete my code from the ecu and took it to vw and they did the fix no problemo , money came a week later . Than when the code came back I got vw to fix it under warranty .
This idea did come to mind, glad I'm not the only one lol.
I had my fix completed a few weeks ago. I had CEL of with EGR fault codes/bad DPF. I was up front about the code and I had paperwork that it had been diagnosed in Oct 2015 at 90k. I had requested VW sympathetic warranty then but their hands were tied due to the legal action.

I was told by the Svc Manager that due to a large number of vehs having their fault codes reset prior to drop off, they now have to pull a detailed log of the ECU so VW can see if anyone has done a reset prior to drop-off like the prior posted got away with.

I tried to be nice and reminded the dealer my family had bought several cars there. End result was dealer going to bat for me and a sympathetic warranty for the DPF.

I was prepared to fight and point out that the excessive emissions would likely stress a part like the DPF which has to undergo regens to clean it. There is a good argument for this. If you have the one-piece DPF/cat your approach abut it needing to be replaced anyway could work.

The best advice is to start as the nice customer to the shop and argue as the suffering customer to VW. If you win, you still want the shop to like you before they do the work.
So basically they just used the warranty retroactively? I would hope the service department at my dealer would do the same, but trying to decide if I should play dumb, reset the code, or tell the guy at the counter everything.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
I did the same thing, My car had the CEL on for over a year (particulate filter bad). I drove the car to the dealership, one block from the dealership I cleared the code. The service advisor went out to the car checked the mileage started the car (no CEL) and they did the emission fix without any problems or cost to me..

2010vwjetta

TDI
I did the same thing, My car had the CEL on for over a year (particulate filter bad). I drove the car to the dealership, one block from the dealership I cleared the code. The service advisor went out to the car checked the mileage started the car (no CEL) and they did the emission fix without any problems or cost to me..
How long ago did you guys get yours cars fixed? Wondering if them checking the history is an isolated procedure or across the board at every dealer.

bluecrab

TDI
2012 Sportwagen
How long ago did you guys get yours cars fixed? Wondering if them checking the history is an isolated procedure or across the board at every dealer.
It would probably be good if someone working at a dealer could weigh in. I was told by a Svc Manager that they could no longer proceed with the warranty work until they sent an ECU log to VW to be checked. I am sure someone at VW reads boards like this and a change in policy due to people bragging about resetting on the way to the dealer is consistent with what happened on buy backs that were being stripped with photos appearing on forums.