Imported TDI's and 'dieselgate'

norcorider

TDI
2013 Passat TDI (Buyback completed Dec 21st)
What do we do for uploading title, since we don't have title in Canada, only vehicle registration? How are others going past around it?

Airbus320

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
What do we do for uploading title, since we don't have title in Canada, only vehicle registration? How are others going past around it?

In Ontario we have a UVIP (used vehicle information package) which displays current owner info. I got that sent to me and used page 1 at front title and page 2 as the back of title. They seemed fine with that. I also sent in by fax my original bill of sale from USA (you won't have this nor need it) my customs documentation or RIV paperwork with customs stamps and registration tax payment just to prove without a doubt I am the owner.

Been told the more paperwork we can provide the better and faster it will go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andrewface

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I keep getting this error on the US site:

Error Code 9999
An error has occurred. Please contact the TDI Settlement Support Team at 1-(844) 98-CLAIM during the hours of 7 AM to 11 PM ET.

Edit: Finally got this to work. Here's how I dealt with this:

Change the registration address of your car to a US Address (I used the address of closest VW dealer in the USA). Then the site will generate the offer and you can complete the rest of the steps through 12. Once you are done and on step 12 you can use the menu at the top to go to the claim preference and correct the address to the true Canandian Address. You can then go back to step 12 and submit the claim. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

norcorider

TDI
I keep getting this error on the US site:
Error Code 9999
An error has occurred. Please contact the TDI Settlement Support Team at 1-(844) 98-CLAIM during the hours of 7 AM to 11 PM ET.
enter registration address as a US address and mailing address as Canadian to get past this error.

norcorider

TDI
In Ontario we have a UVIP (used vehicle information package) which displays current owner info. I got that sent to me and used page 1 at front title and page 2 as the back of title. They seemed fine with that. I also sent in by fax my original bill of sale from USA (you won't have this nor need it) my customs documentation or RIV paperwork with customs stamps and registration tax payment just to prove without a doubt I am the owner.

Been told the more paperwork we can provide the better and faster it will go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I saw your reply later. I had uploaded my New Jersey title and Ontario registration for the time being. It shows the loan has been paid off. Hopefully that should suffice.

andrewface

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
enter registration address as a US address and mailing address as Canadian to get past this error.
What US address did you guys use? Just a random one? I tried it with a random one and still got that error :confused:

Also does anyone know if we get paid in US dollars?

Last edited:

norcorider

TDI
What US address did you guys use? Just a random one? I tried it with a random one and still got that error :confused:
Also does anyone know if we get paid in US dollars?
Hi There, if you are still getting error, you need to call VWOA customer care and ask them to reset your profile back to step 8. Once that is done and the vehicle registration address is updated to US address, the error should go away.
Yes, we will be paid in USD.

andrewface

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Hi There, if you are still getting error, you need to call VWOA customer care and ask them to reset your profile back to step 8. Once that is done and the vehicle registration address is updated to US address, the error should go away.
Yes, we will be paid in USD.
Thank you. I will call them again tonight. I called yesterday and they said they are working on a fix but didn't offer to reset my profile.

mhatthew

TDI
2010 Audi A3 Sportback
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the posts and all the information over the last couple of months. I'm in the process of completing the claim in the online portal. US car, imported to Canada, bought by us after in Canada. Sorry to see her go, but very happy with the US settlement amounts given the exchange rate.

sbt007

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
For those who have a Canadian cars imported into the US - please post updates here if any.

My car was purchased 2014 in Canada and registered in Ontario in the eligibility period, and then I moved to the US and imported the car with me. Could not sell the car - I might add. I signed up for the Canadian Settlement last week and my documents were approved, waiting for next step. Although I'm still wondering how eventually the process of handing over the car will work out. It is a court order - VW needs to re-import/ship it back to Canada if that is what they want. So far their claims website seems to acknowledge US customers, it asked me where the vehicle is currently registered and I was able to enter a US address.

andrewface

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I uploaded all documents and submitted my claim through VW USA yesterday. For those of you that have already had your claims approved - how long does the document review process take? Thanks

Airbus320

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
That article is a bit old, dated in April. There was another article he was in before this explaining that we were left out of both lawsuits as well.

I had contacted ctv myself for a story similar to this as I got the rejection email from the states in January and Canada was of no help. However once I had dug deep enough the litigation team in Canada told me that people in Canada with US cars would either be in a separate 2.0l lawsuit or joined to this one somehow I felt there was no longer a story so I pulled the pin on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sbt007

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
is there anyone filing a VW Canada claim for a now US registered vehicle (vehicle originally sold in Canada)? or is everyone on this thread filing a VWoA claim for a vehicle purchased in the US but now registered in Canada.

Either way, has anyone heard about how the vehicle buyback will work? Do we have to take the vehicle across the border to return? This seems to be a big pain, and I'm not sure if this can be done without exporting/importing which comes with its own costs and effort.

norcorider

TDI
So I called vwoa customer care. The lady on the phone said that there is no ETA on the document review. Apparently, the process of settling US bought cars imported to Canada is still being figured out. She also mentioned that documents we uploaded are sent to their Canadian team for review. And they are trying to finalize process of offer letter generation and buybacks. FYI.

turbowhistle

TDI
2011 JSW Pano White Corn Silk Beige 6MT
I think the only option is to claim through VWoA with a US car. Luckily the current exchange rate is in our favour.

As for importing it sounds quite straight forward and cost free as per post #60 of this thread:

Re-importing costs $0.

If you import a US car to Canada and then return that car back to the US, you don't have to pay any duty whatsoever, as long as the original NHTSA/DOT and EPA labels are still affixed. You just drive the car across the border and re-register it in your state using the HS-7 form (check box 2A).

My second car is an Audi RS4 that was originally sold in the US, imported to Canada, and then I bought it in Saskatchewan and re-imported it to the US last year. No cost and very straightforward.

andrewface

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
So I called vwoa customer care. The lady on the phone said that there is no ETA on the document review. Apparently, the process of settling US bought cars imported to Canada is still being figured out. She also mentioned that documents we uploaded are sent to their Canadian team for review. And they are trying to finalize process of offer letter generation and buybacks. FYI.
thanks for the update. I figured this was the case as I hadn't heard of any Canadians having their claims approved yet.

SoapShoeS

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
thanks for the update. I figured this was the case as I hadn't heard of any Canadians having their claims approved yet.

I called yesterday to (didn't saw the post) they're trying to figure out if we'll have to go in the USA to make the exchange or if we'll be able to drop it in a Canadian dealer. Not supposed to take too long before they start the process

andrewface

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I called yesterday to (didn't saw the post) they're trying to figure out if we'll have to go in the USA to make the exchange or if we'll be able to drop it in a Canadian dealer. Not supposed to take too long before they start the process
Thats good to hear. I live in the GTA so no issue with driving it down to Buffalo but I could see how that could be a logistical nightmare for some Canadians living further up North.

sbt007

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I think the only option is to claim through VWoA with a US car. Luckily the current exchange rate is in our favour.

As for importing it sounds quite straight forward and cost free as per post #60 of this thread:

Might be a little easier getting the car back to the US from Canada. But you likely still have to fill out some forms. The import document might be required when the vehicle is registered in US again (although that really is VW's headache after they get the car). But the question is, if I drive the car across the border with an intent to sell, do I need to go through the whole process of informing both countries. When I originally took my Ontario registered car to the US, my employer handled the process but I had to sign a bunch of forms, and had to show proof of importation and Ontario registration while registering in the US.

For example, importing a car from US into Canada. I don't really see any rules for "re-import" . Technically (1) One is supposed to let US border agents know 72 hours in advance that they will be taking the car out of US for good. They will stamp the ownership/title (2) have to let the Canadians border agents know when entering that this vehicle is being imported. There is no "duty" because the vehicle initially was sold in Canada (in my case, wouldn't be anyway because of NAFTA). But they still will charge GST on vehicle price - because the assumption is that the vehicle will be registered in Canada so you have to pay it anyway.
Which makes no sense for the buyback because VW should be registering the vehicle and paying the taxes. I guess I could drive the car to Vancouver without importing and let VW do all of this if/when they want to register (they would have to do the whole import process). Just not sure that is the right way.
Well, I'll wait for the offer letter first, if that ever comes.

Edit: it does look re-importing from Canada back to US is much easier - CBP has a re-import section.

Last edited:

norcorider

TDI
Since the fix for gen2 Passat with automatic transmission is available, I am considering that option instead of buyback. I drive from Milton to downtown everyday, around 110 km roundtrip and get almost 990 km on a tank. No other car can match it. Still trying to figure out how the extended warranty will work out for cars imported in Canada. Anybody else considering that option?

mhatthew

TDI
2010 Audi A3 Sportback
Since the fix for gen2 Passat with automatic transmission is available, I am considering that option instead of buyback. I drive from Milton to downtown everyday, around 110 km roundtrip and get almost 990 km on a tank. No other car can match it. Still trying to figure out how the extended warranty will work out for cars imported in Canada. Anybody else considering that option?
From the few news items coming out of Europe regarding cars that have had the fix, it sounds like the economy may not be maintained once the fix is added. (Not sure if the gen2 Passat would be receiving the same fix as the cars quoted in the below article.)
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...skoda-seat-emissions-fix-left-car-undriveable

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M RIP, 2015 GSW SE TDI 6M, 2015 Q7 TDI
From the few news items coming out of Europe regarding cars that have had the fix, it sounds like the economy may not be maintained once the fix is added. (Not sure if the gen2 Passat would be receiving the same fix as the cars quoted in the below article.)
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...skoda-seat-emissions-fix-left-car-undriveable
The fix they are applying in Europe is completely different than what they are applying to the US cars, as far as I know.

andrewface

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Still waiting - has anyone called the claims people to check on the status of their claims lately?