Help with IQ not moving with hammer mod.

tdanielson95

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI
Ok so trying to bring my IQ up into the 4.0 area. (5 speed swap car) About a week ago the IQ was at 1.2-1.4. But that was without being able to break the triangle screw loose. So i finally have all 4 screws broke loose (finally got the right socket), and i cannot for the life of me get the IQ higher than 2.2. Ive had the IP top cover to the point where i can move it around with my fingers. Car has been over 80*C every time i checked. Any tips/suggestions are very much appreciated!

tdanielson95

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI
I feel pretty stupid right now. I was only loosening the 3 COVER bolts, not the 3 lower mid section bolts. Shes purring right at 4.4 right now.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Better late than never I guess...

Ooooold pic, thx to unknown (to me) forum member...

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
Don't feel alone on this mistake. Me and a buddy, doing our first IP re-seal job, did the same for about an hour, until we had a beer in frustration and had an "aha!" moment, corrected our mistake, got it set, and had another beer. One good thing, the engine was warmed up really well by then, so we felt good when we got the IQ set.

tdanielson95

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI
Yep about the same thing here. I was just staring at it and had the "light bulb" go off in my head. Im just like, wow you tard haha

tdanielson95

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI
So hows it run now?
Before with IQ at 1-2 when the engine was cold it would shake and sputter ALOT. Now with IQ at 4.4 it is all vertually gone (of course a cold diesel is still going to sound like 4 midgets pounding on the cylinder walls with a hammer) and im talking like -15*. Other than that there was no other change. I need me a frost heater..

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
frost heater?

Before with IQ at 1-2 when the engine was cold it would shake and sputter ALOT. Now with IQ at 4.4 it is all vertually gone (of course a cold diesel is still going to sound like 4 midgets pounding on the cylinder walls with a hammer) and im talking like -15*. Other than that there was no other change. I need me a frost heater..
There are two for sale right now in the classified section.