New Beetle Replacing Rocker Panel

wmgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle GLS 1.9L TDI
Funny, but I researched online off and on for a long time. Never found that anyone has replaced the rocker panels on a New Beetle, mine is a 2000. But when I ordered the new one from the dealer he knew right what to get and says it comes in already primed.

Has anyone replaced one?? I was going to make a replacement panel from sheet metal but for $131 at the dealer and no shipping, whats my time worth?

Just wondering if someone has some hints? I have a plasma cutter and
DeWalt saws all or reciprocating saw to speed things up a bit. If someone has some ideas.....

wmgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle GLS 1.9L TDI
Well a another look this afternoon, it appears the panel is one piece top to bottom. Where it attaches under the car it looks to be spot welded onto a seam that is part of the floor pan. It then is undercoated or coated with a plastic material. On the top side, the rocker looks to be curled over ( and pressed into a seam between the rest of the body, and then some sort of caulking or sealant fills the top of the seam and then its painted with the rest of the car.

I will have the OEM part either tomorrow or Friday and I can tell for sure.

Tim Bramble

TDI
2001 New Beetle & 2012 Passat SEL Premium
My NB came with the passenger side rocker panel gouged. I've been told they are a structural part, so I'll be watching with interest as you progress. I think mine is shallow enough to be worked out through the opening in the backside, but have not attempted it yet.