vcds mods

JP-2010

TDI
Jetta 2010 TDI
Mine does the Ding when the Temp is in the 30 degree range..
I leave my garage where car is 50 degrees and as soon as sensor gets to 39degrees the Ding goes off. Think it is trying to warn me before roads may freeze?
Right after the engine starts on my Golf, I get a single "ding" on random occasions. don't know what it is for. The door is shut and my seat belt is fastened. I have the VAGCOM, but I cannot turn it off.

Any ideas?

It is more of a nuisance.

finalkiss

TDI
2011 Golf wagon
Yeah you should see the snowflake beside the temperature as well. It's VW's little warning that black ice is possible on the roads. says something about it in the manual.

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf
My co-worker just got his VAG-COM Hex-CAN today. We went out and played with our TDIs. I did a handful of quick tweaks on mine:

*no horn honk on locking
*fogs active with high-beams
*no seat-belt chime [I'm adamant about wearing my belt and don't need a reminder]
*comfort window opening/closing with remote

Also did some quick OBD-II datalogging, which saves to a CSV in a very nice format. Thumbs-up to Ross-Tech for a great tool!

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
Threw Code on Way Home From Dealer

Just went to the dealer and had them replace exhaust flap motor under warranty. On the way home, according to VCDS, the car threw the following code (but no check engine light). Did they mess something up? Should I ignore it? Why isn't the CEL on?

Thanks!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
1 Fault Found:
000310 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S2: Malfunction in Circuit
P0136 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 42885 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 12:43:41
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1955 /min
Speed: 103.0 km/h
Lambda: 30.8 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 335.0 mg/str
Voltage: 0.000 V
(no units): 0.01
Voltage: 0.975 V
Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Scratcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 TDI BEW Wagon
Gotcha! Funny how so many things in life come down the execution!! I was under the impression that the release of the hill-hold is controlled by the clutch and/or accelerator pedal like it is in my car. I too would find it annoying if the car sat there with the brakes applied for about two seconds. One workaround might be to use the parking brake on inclines. You can take your foot off the brake pedal and use the parking brake to keep the car from rolling backwards. Then you just take off as normal, releasing the parking brake as you're engaging the clutch. Many people already use the parking brake on steep inclines to keep the car from rolling backwards as you transition from the brake pedal to the clutch pedal.
That's the way I learned to drive in the UK. Its one of the first things you learn with a manual shift

ljhooley

TDI
2009 TDI Jetta, 2010 TDI Golf
Is there a way to have the radio stay on when you turn the ignition off? On my Mk V the radio didn't shut off until I pulled the key out of the ignition switch. That was a nice feature. (I do realize I can turn the radio back on with the ignition off.) Sorry if this has been adressed numerous times already.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Is there a way to have the radio stay on when you turn the ignition off? On my Mk V the radio didn't shut off until I pulled the key out of the ignition switch. That was a nice feature. (I do realize I can turn the radio back on with the ignition off.) Sorry if this has been adressed numerous times already.
I don't think anyone has found a "fix" for this.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Just hit the power button on the radio.I think it will say on for a hour also you can close the windows.

numl0ck

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^ That's the only "fix" there is. I've recoded my cluster to the UK spec, and dug through the VCDS settings again and again to no avail...

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI

I think I would like this, but I didn't know it was an option. How do you do it?

It does bother me that the fogs are going off and on if I go back and forth from high to low beams. I just don't use the fogs with my lights on, but I guess I would like to control this myself. At the same time, the fogs really don't add much of anything when my xenon lights are on, high or low beam.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
At the same time, the fogs really don't add much of anything when my xenon lights are on, high or low beam.
I mostly agree, except that the fogs add some extra width to the illumination pattern (which is why the left fog light turns on when you turn left, and the right fog light turns on when you turn right, which I think is a nice touch).

One mod I think I've heard of is the ability to make it so your brake lights flash three times if your Electronic Stability Control system detects slippage. I like the sounds of that....

Klystron

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Anyone know of a way to adjust the "gain" or relationship of radios back light vs the instruments and dash lights? The reason I ask is on really dark roads I find the radio's display brightness too bright but when I turn down the dimmer to the point where the radio is tolerable the MFD and instruments are too dim.

halfvolley

TDI
2010 JSW
Anyone know of a way to adjust the "gain" or relationship of radios back light vs the instruments and dash lights? The reason I ask is on really dark roads I find the radio's display brightness too bright but when I turn down the dimmer to the point where the radio is tolerable the MFD and instruments are too dim.
I have the RCD-510 radio (non-nav) and on mine there is a setting for the display brightness. Just hit the Setup button and poke around. Mine has five settings, and the light dimmer left of the wheel still controls both the radio screen and the cluster.

If you've already done this and are asking if there is a way to further reduce brightness in VCDS, I have no idea.

rambalu80

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW TDI DSG
I received my Micro-CAN interface yesterday and decided to code some of the options that I wanted to do. All went well but I have lost the lock confirmation chirp and hear the honk instead.

I enabled the unlock confirmation honk and when I realized it was a honk noise and not the chirp, I decided to disable it but now, all I can hear is honk.

Is there a way to restore the chirp? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

1analguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 2dr 6-speed (loaded)

I think I would like this, but I didn't know it was an option. How do you do it?

It does bother me that the fogs are going off and on if I go back and forth from high to low beams. I just don't use the fogs with my lights on, but I guess I would like to control this myself. At the same time, the fogs really don't add much of anything when my xenon lights are on, high or low beam.
This is another setting available in long coding through VCDS.

I think the fogs add considerably to the light at the front corners of the car, and it's quite nice to have them remain on with the high beams...

Last edited:

Arne in Oregon

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf MT6
This is another setting available in long coding through VCDS.

I think the fogs add considerably to the light at the front corners of the car, and it's quite nice to have them remain on with the high beams...
I'm sure that VW does it the way they do because in some states it is technically illegal to use "fog" or "inclement weather" lights with high beams. FWIW

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
Finally got a few minutes to sit down and code up the stuff I wanted changed. The list looked like this:

1. Nav system now talks nicely to the MFD (car now knows it has a Nav system!)
2. Steering wheel push to talk button enabled (not tested yet) for my 9W7
3. Lane change blinks changed from 3 to 4 (I'm old and slow)
4. Hazards come on when ABS kicks in
5. Key fob opens and closes windows (and sunroof on close)
6. Honk on lock is disabled

The only useful note I'd like to add in all of this is that I used a MacBook Pro with VMware Fusion (running XP) to do it with VCDS without any issues. I thought I was going to have to build a Windows laptop but that just wasn't necessary.

Lastly, I'd like to ask the club about the incline sensor and alarm references I found while I was in there poking around. I should have captured the screen and posted it but the just of it was that if the car was being towed the alarm would be disabled. I don't want that as that is a favourite way to steal cars. I want the car to be completely freaking out if it's being towed. Have I assumed this correctly and has anyone else turned this on? What happens if you park on a hill?

If I get a free hour over the weekend I can see about finding the right screen and capturing it.

Thank you to everyone who has posted the details of what they have done as this was very helpful to me.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Dealer reflash?

Is there a new flash from the dealer? I've been declining any reflash for the body control module (BCM) and only taking them for the engine control module (ECM). My car works fine and I figured why mess with something if it isn't broken. I also didn't want to have to bother my friend to recode any/all of the tweaks if they are lost in the reflash. I also read that closing the sunroof with remote was permanently lost after the previous reflash for TPMS was introduced. I'm asking because I have a 20K mile service coming up in the next couple of weeks.

My questions
Is there a reflash from the dealer?
If there is a reflash, what does it do?
Do I lose all tweaks if I get the reflash?

My Modifications
Euro light switch
9W7 Bluetooth
R Tinted LED tail lights

My Coding changes
Premium Theme for RNS-510
No DRLs
No auto lock
No confirmation honk with remote lock
No seatbelt chime or light
Emergency flashers with hard stop
Coming home feature for headlights – requires stalk pull after off
Windows up and down with remote & sunroof close with remote
LED tail lights - “1F” at Byte 18 in Central Electronics
Added shop # for 9W7
TPMS reset to 2.2 bar

Last edited:

UHF

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 DSG JSW
I've read the thread and didn't figure out a way to disable seat belt chime. Where is this located? I got everything else working, foglights, etc.
How do I know if I have a rain sensor?

Last edited:

golfTDI1

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI 6M 4dr
If you have wires going from your rear view mirror up the windshield and into the roof you have a rain sensor, if not, you do not. The seatbelt chime feature is disabled in the Instruments controller in VCDS. Use down arrow on keyboard to toggle to the next byte. I think its the second or third byte in.

hymato

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta TDI(buyback) Now 2005.5 Jetta tdi
Can I do any of these VCDS mods on my friends 2011 Jetta Tdi? I just got my vag-com and don't wanna mess his car up. Thanks chris

Answered my own question, the beta version of vcds can do it but does not provide long coding help yet.

Last edited:

hymato

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta TDI(buyback) Now 2005.5 Jetta tdi
Anyone ever have the footwell lights come on with the headlights and.not be able to turn them off?

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
still no solving this, i guess?

man, i'd like to ask VW why they messed w/ this function:confused:

alberg

Veteran Member
TDI
1.6 Tdi CR
still no solving this, i guess?

man, i'd like to ask VW why they messed w/ this function:confused:
On mine if I leave the key in the ignition or not I can press the volume control button and the radio and this will turn it on for 30 minutes
( i think)

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
yeah, but if you don't want the song to cut out for 3 seconds, you've gotta leave the engine running until it ends.
even more annoying when you're trying to listen to a radio interview/news story and you don't want to miss something crucial... not very "green" of VW! ;)

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
yeah, but if you don't want the song to cut out for 3 seconds, you've gotta leave the engine running until it ends.
even more annoying when you're trying to listen to a radio interview/news story and you don't want to miss something crucial... not very "green" of VW! ;)
I was in a teleconference on the way to work yesterday and turned the car off when I arrived in the parking lot. Thought I would have to switch to my handset. Nope, the RNS510 stayed on and the call continued. I could not use the steering controls, but the head unit stayed illuminated in the phone menu and the bluetooth stayed active. That was a nice surprise. It does go off if you pull the key. It is too bad that the regular radio doesn't do the same thing, but that it works for the phone is nice.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
I was in a teleconference on the way to work yesterday and turned the car off when I arrived in the parking lot. Thought I would have to switch to my handset. Nope, the RNS510 stayed on and the call continued. I could not use the steering controls, but the head unit stayed illuminated in the phone menu and the bluetooth stayed active. That was a nice surprise. It does go off if you pull the key. It is too bad that the regular radio doesn't do the same thing, but that it works for the phone is nice.
thanks ksing - you've made me even more annoyed at this!:p

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
thanks ksing - you've made me even more annoyed at this!:p
Hey, I was trying to cheer you up! Don't be annoyed, these are great little cars!!! Well, that is as long as the HPFP doesn't blow up.

Honestly, I do love m Golf TDI. I also love all OEM upgrades I decided to get in the car. My TDI seems very upscale and truly state of the art. And, everything works the way it should thanks to Pelican18TQA4.