Intake Tract Upgrades

TDI
'15 A3 - 2.0 TDI, '14 Q7 - 3.0 TDI
Foreword, I know there is little proof that Cold Air Intakes and Silicone Hoses do much, if anything for performance and efficiency. I don't want that debate to start over in this thread. Also, I am posting here because the A3 section is pretty dead, we share the same EA288 engine afterall.

I had previously installed a Neuspeed Cold Air Intake. Seems like a decent part, I like it, washable filter and produces some extra sounds.

But then I started thinking... a common intake tract upgrade on the TSI/TFSI engines is the turbo elbow and accordion hose. I found a solution for the later, Kerma offers a silicone hose, but it's out of stock. Ended up ordering from the UK, Darkside Developments. Ordered Thursday with DHL shipping, Arrived Monday, took some time and installed it today:

Here is the stock hose next to the silicone one:

And here's my bay/intake after:

So, My question in all this... is there a part available to replace the plastic elbow going into the turbo? I know many manufacturers make one for the TSI/TFSI engine, but from looking at it, ours is different on the TDI. Pretty sure the gas version won't fit. Anyone look into it and come up with something?

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Excuse my ignorance, but how is that a cold air intake, if it takes the warm air from the engine compartment? On my (previous generation) diesel the factory intake takes the air direct from the grill, which seems more of a cold air intake to me. Maybe you could retrofit that part on the Mk7?

TDI
Excuse my ignorance, but how is that a cold air intake, if it takes the warm air from the engine compartment? On my (previous generation) diesel the factory intake takes the air direct from the grill, which seems more of a cold air intake to me. Maybe you could retrofit that part on the Mk7?
The scoop is still there, it takes air in from the top of the grille on the left and right sides and directs it to the "box" on the right. The "box" is mostly separated from the engine compartment. It is partially open to the right side behind the filter, right in front of the battery. It is closed to the left, directly behind the filter and underneath, where I imagine most the hot air would be:

The way I see it, I imagine the scoop setup probably directs more air than the engine uses at speed and flushes warm air out of the "box" with the excess air. In the end, the biggest benefit is probably a shorter path from filter to MAF and ultimately Turbo with little to no restriction.

I'm no engineer, this is just my theory of how it is an improvement. I do know that I saw 1-2 mpg gain after installing it, and I like that I can hear my turbo spool a little more.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Is the drivers side of the intake box open on the A3? The VW TSI has the drivers side front blocked off, and there's an open spot behind the passengers side so it's more a pass through.

Either way there's no such thing as a CAI when the W2A IC temps keep the charge air entering the intake manifold around 200F and peak around 240F.

BTW you do get +5 HP removing the engine cover so you got that going for you.

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
The scoop is still there, it takes air in from the top of the grille on the left and right sides and directs it to the "box" on the right. The "box" is mostly separated from the engine compartment. It is partially open to the right side behind the filter, right in front of the battery. It is closed to the left, directly behind the filter and underneath, where I imagine most the hot air would be:

The way I see it, I imagine the scoop setup probably directs more air than the engine uses at speed and flushes warm air out of the "box" with the excess air. In the end, the biggest benefit is probably a shorter path from filter to MAF and ultimately Turbo with little to no restriction.

I'm no engineer, this is just my theory of how it is an improvement. I do know that I saw 1-2 mpg gain after installing it, and I like that I can hear my turbo spool a little more.
Is your car deleted? Mine is stage 2 catless, turbo whistle is strong.

TDI
Is the drivers side of the intake box open on the A3? The VW TSI has the drivers side front blocked off, and there's an open spot behind the passengers side so it's more a pass through.

Either way there's no such thing as a CAI when the W2A IC temps keep the charge air entering the intake manifold around 200F and peak around 240F.

BTW you do get +5 HP removing the engine cover so you got that going for you.
Yes, there are openings from the grille on both sides into that duct on top, routing to the air box area on the right (driver) side.

I understand, cold air is futile when it's next stop is a turbo, compressing the air in something driven by exhaust just superheats it. The W2A IC is going to do it's best to keep temps under control with or without cool air coming in. Like I said in the original post, probably most gains to be had were from less restriction and smoother flow.

Engine cover is in the garage, got tired of taking it off and putting it back on. Weight savings I guess :D

Is your car deleted? Mine is stage 2 catless, turbo whistle is strong.
Yeah. Buzzken Resonated Downpipe. Love the way it sounds. I had run just the intake for a good year before doing the deletes. The intake enhances the turbo whistle on it's own.

I have a catback on it's way to complete the exhaust, I imagine it'll sound pretty mean with that, we shall see...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You definitely get more induction sounds with no airbox. I'm skeptical about any gains in power or fuel efficiency.