Sluggish shifting in low gears - 1st-2nd-3rd (DSG)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Being totally new to DSG, having driven 5MT or 6MT for forever, I'm not sure if this is me being picky; if this is common; if it's inherent to the design; or if my transmission has a problem.

Manually shifting 3-4th, 4-5th, 5-6th, or coming down the other direction is super-fast - like what I kind of expected with all of the raves that the DSG gets (we're setting aside how disconnected I feel from what the car is doing, but that's another thread...).

But 1st-2nd is a little sluggish, and 2nd-3rd is downright slow - like on par with any automatic from a mid-90s Corolla or Hyundai that I might have rented. There have been times I've shifted again because I didn't think it "took" (granted this is probably barely a second), but still - when you're expecting a shift in maybe 2/10th second, and it's over a second (at least that's what it feels like), that just seems wrong.

Anyone else?

Sad Panda

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI
You're throttle input will make a large difference on shift speed. I try to accelerate with a purpose just to speed up the shifts a little, it makes a lot of difference. If I am trying to baby it around parking lots and such I either put it in sport or use the paddle shifters so it does less slipping for smoothness.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ahhh - good to know; thanks!

Didn't realize that the throttle input played a role in how fast/well it shifts.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Meh - still much crisper shifts in higher gears. 1-->2 and 2-->3 much slower than 3-->4 and up.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I have found that when you are accelerating from a stop, it actually upshifts sooner if you press the accelerator, particularly in the range where you might expect it to shift. Gentle acceleration causes delays in shifting.

Also, you can use the tiptronic control (or paddle shifters if you have them). Both shift upon release, so push before you want to shift, then release when you want it to upshift.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
The oem shift points are horrible from the factory. I couldn’t drive my dsg without my modified tuning. Stock programming is so laggy ( rpms are so low it has to downshift to the same clutch it’s running in on tip-in). Always in a gear too low in rpms to efficiently spool turbo (huffing excessive smoke masked by Dpf). And resulting in more frequent regenerations caused by all of the above! Worst thing is dropping in 6th gear at 40mph. I hold all gears out 250+ rpms higher each between shifts and hold out 6th until 58mph. Shift points are 2800-3200rpm depending on urgency, and downshifts on tip in hand off to opposite waiting clutch pak for zero lag. If you want to drive like a “lug-nut” you just nudge paddles and upshift/hold gears to lower rpms as desired. Fuel mileage has greatly improved, with less regens , while running stage2 tune (Egr0, flap0, Dpf/adblue on)
Sport mode is nice too with moderate increases and pulls to the max rpm when needed while rowing gears. I pull a 1000lb trailer with ease too.
Jeff ;-))

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, do you have the Stage 2 *engine* tune? Or do you have a DSG tune? Or both?

I know a few vendors had DSG tunes on the Mk6, but wasn't aware of anyone offering a Mk7 DSG tune yet.
(Then again, it's not like I've been looking regularly or recently)

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Apparently some have experienced shifting TOO SOON on the MK7 platform on "fixed" OEM "tune". My 2015 GSW SE DSG revs high (well over 2000 rpm) if I don't accelerate fairly deliberately. I usually put it in tiptronic mode (gearshift to the right) and use either the gear shift or the paddle shifters to control it. It is pretty responsinve.

I see NO NEED for a ridiculously expensive DSG tune if you override the DSG controller in tiptronic mode and use the paddles or console shift.

This is because...I can rev to 4000rpm without getting overriden by the car's computer when in tiptronic mode if I want to. I LOVE the paddle shifters EXACTLY for this purpose. It's GREAT!!!

In D, it shifts SOONER when I accelerate harder, and the computer is in charge... It does NOT think I want to go faster and stays in lower gears revving well over 2000 rpm when I don't accelerate hard.

I would be curious if any other MK7 GSW drivers have the same observations??? Very different than my 2014 JSW, which shifted early all the time (though I could override that in tiptronic mode as well).

???

Last edited: