K&N air filter or go with a stock filter?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
That Rock Auto filter is CRAP. Did you read the description? "Up to 12,000 miles of protection..." That's $170.50 plus shipping for 300K miles. :eek:

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think they just want you to buy more filters. If anything, the filtration through a paper air filter gets better as they load up. It's the airflow that becomes reduced at a certain point. I'll still stick with the Mann filters though.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I think they just want you to buy more filters. If anything, the filtration through a paper air filter gets better as they load up. It's the airflow that becomes reduced at a certain point. I'll still stick with the Mann filters though.
Yup. Five Mann filters at $20 a pop is $100 for 300K miles...

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
That Rock Auto filter is CRAP. :eek:
So is that K&N. The OP was only looking for cheap if you haven't noticed. He doesn't care if it filters well it's just cheap. Read back a few threads. And even he agreed that Rock Auto filter is cheap, right up his alley.........cheap. Not good just cheap. Not time saving, or better performing just cheap!:D
Nice find sir! This would be cheaper.
Here is another example of cheap..http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=482559

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
IDparts recommends every 20k and is offered in their 20k service kit. Even if it was every 60k, the fact of the matter still remains the same that I would have more over time in going with the paper filters over and over again vs the K&N filter once.

They offer it in their 20K kit cause it's dirt cheap and they practically give it away for free.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Unfortunately your argument is a moot point as the whole thing was never about time or your choice to toss and replace filters, it was price.

Odd, in my world time is money.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
You want to dust out your engine, be my guest. As for me a proper fitting factory filter is mandatory.

You beat me to it, the filtration on the KN&N sucks, so definitly more dust and particles are going to inhale into the engine, for me paper filter is the best choice for the sake on a clean breathing for any TDIs or gasser, your point is taken about being more economical with KNN but if you want to keep your tdi healthy stick with the paper filter my 02 cents

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Just run without an air filter. All the benefits of a K&N and none of the cost. I'm pretty sure no filter will filter about the same as a K&N.

As long as most people keep a car the next owner can deal with the damage. In fact, don't change the oil either. Even more savings.