rough idle 96 Passat

Johnson

TDI
2012 Passat SE, 2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2002 Jetta GLS
96 Passat won't idle properly. 840-861 rpm on vag-com. Tried to recalibrate the fuel quantity at idle using the TDI Faq's "solving the slow-down shudder" techniques. Could change injection qty but did nothing to change idle rpm.
Also, when switching into Basic Settings the car idles up perfectly (903 rpm). Then going out of Basic Settings idle drops back to original 840-861
Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
You can alter the idle RPM a small amount using Vag-Com, but really there should be no need unless something else is amiss.

Once you have entered the loggin code and gone to 'Adaption', have a play with the numbers in channel 2. (Note the original setting first) It will only allow change the idle slightly but might help.

Johnson

TDI
Thanks for the help Brodie. i only had to change the value by 2 and the car idles smooth as silk.

Thanks again
Larry

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
Larry,

Thanks for the email
Just out of interest, what happens to the idle speed now when you switch to Basic Settings now, does it stay the same?

Johnson

TDI
Brodie,
yes the idle rpm stays where i set it. the problem seems to be solved. my new problem is related to a collison with a deer last night. minor damage

take care,
Larry

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Bummer Larry!
Trouble with those Green Passats.....they blend in with the other shrubs

You are OK I hope!