PD TDI Intermittent No Crank

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI, 3rd gen Cummins 2500, ALH Sedan
Hi
06 BEW TDI 1.9 Jetta wagon.
I have had an intermittent no crank condition (all dash lights normal no clicking no current draw) where the car just won't crank. Try again later and no problem. The car has a good OEM VW battery. Is there anything to check before I pull the starter? Clutch switch has always seemed to work well as I use it to kick off the cruise frequently.
Thanks

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Are you able to do a continuity test on the clutch switch when you have a no-crank situation? Even though you use it to disengage the cruise it still sounds suspect.

In the mean time you could clean the connections to the starter as planned. Certainly won't hurt anything....

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI, 3rd gen Cummins 2500, ALH Sedan
It hasn't been bad enough to test when dead but I'll keep the meter in the car and clean the starter leads. I had the starter off this spring when I did the clutch so I may have to clean the connections. 530km and the starter is original BTW.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
You got your use out of that starter. I would just replace it before it leaves you stranded. I usually get parts like that at Napa, or IDParts...... Lots of sources.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Before replacing it I would test for power to the solenoid when you try to crank it.
A test light might be easier then a meter if you are alone.
Maybe you have a bad ground to the block from when you had the trans out?
A voltage drop test might pick this up if its bad enough.
Measure from the battery negative post to the case of the trans and have someone crank the engine.
I would not want to see more then a few tenths of a volt drop.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
ASV should not cause a no crank condition.
Motor would crank fast if anything.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
^^trying not to assume the obvious. Too many people make incorrect statements

Relay 109 and starter connections/grounds should be first checks.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, the obvious or the dumb stuff as I like to call it.
First off, intermittent problems are very hard to diagnose.
But you say "no current draw" which indicates the starter is not getting the message, cause it will certainly draw some current.
When it's in no crank mode start by checking if the starter will operate by jumping it (the starter not the battery).
If it turns start checking the various wires/connectors. If stuff is happy, check if the ignition does send a signal in the start position.
Relay 109 provides power to the ECU, it can cause all manner of trouble but will not keep the motor from turning.
Keep in mind that if the battery is bad (or connect is wonky) it may not be enough to turn the starter but it would cause a current draw.