Question Just Purchased Brand New 2015 TDI Beetle

JRRfl

TDI
85 Rabbit Diesel, 98, Beetle Gas, 03 Jetta Gas, 04 Passat Gas, 01 Beetle TDI, 03 Beetle TDI, 06 Beetle TDI, 15 Beetle TDI
Question, just purchased a 2015 Beetle TDI brand new. Driven it about a week and half. Put about 500 miles on it. When the tank of fuel got down to about 1/8 just above red line when pulling out in traffic if failed to go just rolling out into the road. This happened about 8 more times before I filled the tank full. Since then in the past 15 miles it seems fine. This is one of the leftover 2015's. What are your thoughts? Maybe old fuel, sludge, etc?

Thanks,
Jim

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
DSG or manual? Did it just die and roll out or just take a while to go? Glad to see you here! I just bought one too. There is little traffic here in this forum.

JRRfl

TDI
85 Rabbit Diesel, 98, Beetle Gas, 03 Jetta Gas, 04 Passat Gas, 01 Beetle TDI, 03 Beetle TDI, 06 Beetle TDI, 15 Beetle TDI
It is the DSG. It just took a while to go. Stepped on gas started to roll but never revved up. Then it started to go. Happened 8 times over 20 minutes found a diesel pump filled up and seems to be normal so far in 15 miles of driving. Weird! I'm thinking maybe something with fuel system as it did sit in Florida for however long. How are you liking yours? I've waited for years to get one. I have an 06 that I purchased new. I still have it going to my son for college. Thanks, Jim

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It's the DSG more than likely. They have this quirk. It sometimes takes a few seconds from a standing start. IIRC rolling into the throttle slowly instead of just mashing it down helps. Also taking your foot off the brake a second or so earlier and letting it slowly roll forward, then go. There are some other threads here in other forums that discuss this particular issue. It can also be reprogrammed by some of the tuners here to have different/better performance that could be investigated if you can't adapt.

Just got mine a few weeks ago. I have owned many different ones since 2005. Last was a 2013 Passat SEL TDI DSG. Still have a 2003 Beetle TDI 5 speed and this 2015 Beetle TDI DSG. I have noticed it in all the DSG's I have driven. I am liking the 2015. It is a basic version and I am updating to a RNS315 nav unit soon. I am trying to find some way to upgrade to xenon projector headlights for a reasonable price. Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2011-20...-LED-DRL-and-Bi-xenon-Projector-/151157923007

JRRfl

TDI
Follow-up

I hear what your saying about the DSG but this is different. I drove the vehicle for about 40 miles middle of the day 93 degrees outside. Worked perfect in normal city traffic starting stopping etc. Then all the sudden this happened. As it was driving normally I noticed the fuel gauge was getting low time to look for fuel. Needed to pull out in traffic and bam that's when it happened. Now, it happens about 8 more times over the next 20 minutes. I fuel the vehicle and for the next 15 miles it seems completely normal. What do you make of that?
Thanks,
Jim

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
That is the only thing I can think of. Scan for codes with VCDS and see what is there. Going to be hard to get the dealer to do anything if you can't reproduce the error or no codes. Maybe you had some bad fuel and since you refilled it might go away. Hope for the best.

JRRfl

TDI
I'm hoping they can find the problem. It seems to me that the vehicle sat for a few years. Maybe that fuel gelled up a bit and when it got low I was sucking the gel? Just hoping something stupid like that or maybe some how fuel filter? Good Luck with yours! What mileage are you getting so far?
Thanks,
Jim

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not much chance it gelled in your climate. You could try changing fuel/oil filters and fluids if you want. Did they do that before you took delivery?

JRRfl

TDI
Maybe not Gel but possibly like algae? VW dealer claims they did some required service prior to delivery for the TDI's.

Incidentally, I noticed yours is Silver and Black same as mine pretty cool looking really like the color combo.

I got a set of the black VW rubber thick floor mats. I'm not going to use these. Thinking of selling them. Can I just post them for sale on this site? Never done that before may try.

I'm planning to get a rear factory spoiler. You can purchase it pretty inexpensively but then you need to have it painted. They look really cool! Thanks, Jim

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I like it for hot temps (silver). I will have the windows tinted with Huper Optik Ceramic Series C70. I had this done to my 2013 Passat and it works great!

http://motherswindowtint.com/Huper_Optik.html

https://www.huperoptikusa.com/automotive/

Tint, nav/rear cam and projector headlights are all I plan to do. 2micron (member here) makes some fuel filter improvements. I think he is looking at making one/some for our engines (CVCA IIRC). I am going to send pics of mine to see what he can do. This lets you use a spin on 1 micron filter.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=479235&highlight=2micron

I have no sunroof (yeah!), PW, PL, heated seats and DSG/paddleshifters. Adding Huper Optik tint and RNS 315 nav/sat radio (Plug and play). Projectors when I decide what to get/do. ProClip phone mount.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I'm hoping they can find the problem. It seems to me that the vehicle sat for a few years. Maybe that fuel gelled up a bit and when it got low I was sucking the gel? Just hoping something stupid like that or maybe some how fuel filter? Good Luck with yours! What mileage are you getting so far?
Thanks,
Jim
Fuel won't gel up from sitting, it gels at very low temps. If diesel sits for a long time, it can have microbes growing in it. A dose of microbial treatment https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...7694/biocide-additive/00119/4318587?q=biocide and checking the fuel filter for slime would be good to do.