Sweet! Time to start ordering stuff.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
Just got it into the garage. Left a nice oil trail up the driveway. Best surprise was completing the sale. This is a ONE OWNER car! The original owner donated it to some foundation, where the local dealer bought it from, and it came to me. I'm going to try to track the original owner down and see if he has any records, keys, etc.

Safely tucked away next to my 12 Passat SEL.

Time to order some minor maintenance stuff, new turbo and related items, and get to work. Hoping to have running within 2 weeks.

Last edited:

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
Looks like a nice PD golf!. Check the cam shaft while your under the hood and get your self some nice oil like pentosin. Good luck on the build! The mk4 cars just have so much character and are a blast to drive.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Resize your pics next time so you don't blow the margins out on the page. It makes it difficult to read when people don't resize them to fit.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like a nice PD golf!. Check the cam shaft while your under the hood and get your self some nice oil like pentosin. Good luck on the build! The mk4 cars just have so much character and are a blast to drive.
It's not too shabby. Really clean, save for the front end which needs paint on the hood and bumper, mainly due to rash and fade on the hood. Rest of the car should polish up nicely. Interior is super nice. No strange cam sounds (lifter slap or anything) which was a determining factor in the purchase. I've already located the previous owner and called him. He's an older gentleman and I have a feeling this was dealership maintained for it's life. Left him a message, hoping he calls me back.

Resize your pics next time so you don't blow the margins out on the page. It makes it difficult to read when people don't resize them to fit.
Yeah, I didn't realize that imgur didn't auto resize like photobucket did. I started trying to bring them down from full resolution the second I saw what happened. Screw photobucket for their shenanigans, lol. I bought them down to 1440x810ish so it should be much better now. I'm trying to find a service that will auto resize as I upload like PB did.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
1600x1200 resolution. But I forgot I have it set to 125% because I can't read anything at 100%. That must be why it is different for me. Sorry. I am getting glasses soon so that should help!:)

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, strike out on my first endeavor.....sort of. Junkyard had a PERFECT MKIV Jetta Left Dash Vent I got for $3 (P3 gauge is planned). Went by the local hydraulic line shop wanting a braided turbo feed line made. Freaking $57 for a -4 stainless line with 90* and 45* ends, 32" long. And to boot, the -4 was actually only 3/16" inner diameter with the line they had. So no go there. Got on Summit and using PTFE hose, -4 with above ends, AND two adapters for the turbo/block, I'll be in it for $40.

Ordering the Turbo, 3Bar Map sensor, new shift knob/boot, key fobs, and maybe a drivers door switch panel (it's all nicked up) later tonight.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Taking things apart already. Can someone tell me what this sensor with the cut wire is? I didn't find an end to the wire yet........and no CEL's tripped, but I'm curious.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Crankcase breather heater, not critical but wouldn't hurt to repair it.
I'm not finding the other end of the wire anywhere. Weird. :confused:

EGR cooler is out. Anyone need a BEW EGR Cooler? It's not going back in.

Turbo, 3bar MAP sensor, two small and 1 big EGR block off plates ordered (doing a total delete), new switch panel for the drivers door is ordered, 2x key fobs ordered, and parts to DIY a oil feed line for the turbo are ordered.

Hoping to finish getting the manifold and turbo out tomorrow.

Debating a full exhaust so I don't have to dork with burning oil out of the exhaust that's on the car........:D

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Intake manifold is now out. Turbo will be out tonight or tomorrow.

Some more sleuthing, and I got lucky with my first phone call. Car was serviced it's entire life at Tynan's VW in Denver. Timing belt at 95K, then again at 164K early for some reason, so we're looking at 40K miles before the next one. The dealership is printing and mailing the records to me. Very cool of them.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea the pictures are big,
If you use pics. tdiclub it gives an option of full, medium or thumbnail (really nice), you click on the medium or thumb you see the whole picture.
It seems the smart phones handle this better than a PC, for mine it means I must use a scroll to the right to read the text. Not a big deal.
For you folks with really good eyesight, don't crank your PC text size real small, just cause you can read it, it pulls on the eye muscles, not good over long periods of time.
Nice car, happy repairs!

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea the pictures are big,
If you use pics. tdiclub it gives an option of full, medium or thumbnail (really nice), you click on the medium or thumb you see the whole picture.
It seems the smart phones handle this better than a PC, for mine it means I must use a scroll to the right to read the text. Not a big deal.
For you folks with really good eyesight, don't crank your PC text size real small, just cause you can read it, it pulls on the eye muscles, not good over long periods of time.
Nice car, happy repairs!
I was looking at that but for the life of me am seeing nowhere to create an album or upload pics at all.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Weird. It wouldn't let me login earlier but it just did this time. Good for future reference.

Turbo is out! Ready for new parts.

Oh and forgot to mention, I'm getting the DieselGeek Sigma 5 shifter from my buddies 01 Golf he's getting ready to sell too.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
So all my parts (except the 3 Bar map sensor) showed up either Friday or yesterday. Was going to do up the braided oil feed line last night (using ptfe hose) and got stopped due to the hose I ordered being mislabeled as a -4 when it was actually a -6. Kind of hard to assemble fittings when that happens.

Won't be working on it on Monday due to driving to Chicago to pick up a 2015 Golf S TDI my buddy has ourchased, so Tuesday I'm hoping to start reassembly. If all goes well I'll have the car running over next weekend save for the Malone Tune.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Intake manifold is now out. Turbo will be out tonight or tomorrow.

Some more sleuthing, and I got lucky with my first phone call. Car was serviced it's entire life at Tynan's VW in Denver. Timing belt at 95K, then again at 164K early for some reason, so we're looking at 40K miles before the next one. The dealership is printing and mailing the records to me. Very cool of them.
The fact the dealer changed the timing belt would give me even more reason to get done ASAP. They are notorious for botching it. I would bet they never changed the waterpump which is now a ticking time bomb. See if you can get a parts breakdown and look for paint marks around the pulleys.

"dealer maintained" is usually a drawback IMO.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
The fact the dealer changed the timing belt would give me even more reason to get done ASAP. They are notorious for botching it. I would bet they never changed the waterpump which is now a ticking time bomb. See if you can get a parts breakdown and look for paint marks around the pulleys.

Water pump was changed with the timing belt as per the SA reading the timing belt job notes to me, and I've seen zero reason for concern that it needs to be done asap. It survived 60k miles so far.........I think it's ok.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)

It's got 60k miles since that work was done. From what I've read a botched job usually doesn't last that long. If by "botched" you mean they didn't replace the WP, well, that's still a stretch (I'm at 65k miles on a TB job done by a dealer [PO's doing] who didn't change the WP). In the case of the OP having things torn apart I'd be looking to just do it now and get an additional 60k miles. Lots of miles on the OP's car; who knows when the WP was last changed?

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Water pump was changed with the timing belt as per the SA reading the timing belt job notes to me, and I've seen zero reason for concern that it needs to be done asap. It survived 60k miles so far.........I think it's ok.
There also should be a small roller and the tensioner listed in the parts list.

All it takes is one roller left behind and you have ticking time bomb. The belt is usually the last thing to fail in the system.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
It's got 60k miles since that work was done. From what I've read a botched job usually doesn't last that long. If by "botched" you mean they didn't replace the WP, well, that's still a stretch (I'm at 65k miles on a TB job done by a dealer [PO's doing] who didn't change the WP). In the case of the OP having things torn apart I'd be looking to just do it now and get an additional 60k miles. Lots of miles on the OP's car; who knows when the WP was last changed?
I would consider not replacing the water pump with the TB botching it, because if the waterpump fails its going to take out the timing belt. Considering the rash of failures we been seeing with them failing within 80K miles, I wouldn't risk running one much past that.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I would consider not replacing the water pump with the TB botching it, because if the waterpump fails its going to take out the timing belt. Considering the rash of failures we been seeing with them failing within 80K miles, I wouldn't risk running one much past that.
WPs have been failing with as low as 30k miles. New parts can fail: I've already recounted my experiences with a DOA WP on my old Corolla (original one was weeping; dealer installed a new one and it was DOA- idiots rolled it out to me and I said "nope!" not the dealer's fault, other than them not noticing it). And I recently had to swap out a defective shock that was DOA.

I'm not arguing that one ought not change the WP. I'm stating that it's not a death warrant if one wasn't changed. Keep in mind that VW never specified changing them. We all have just become used to doing the WP because it makes sense. But, that a dealer (or anyone else) did not change one does not mean the job is botched (the job can still have been done by the book w/o doing the WP).

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to the task at hand.......so I was checking over the turbo last night, replacing the oil feed adapter with a -4 AN adapter, putting the EGR plate on, and I noticed a couple of things. For one, for a Garrett, the exhaust manifold casting is awful. Functional, but horrible. Extra flashing everywhere, couple of the mounting bolt holes aren't even level on the outer side (the mating surface is level at least). I just kind of expected a little better quality being a Garrett piece.

But the other thing I noticed, and it's more of an attention to detail thing and minor nuisance, is the 15 included copper pinch nuts with the kit as it came from vixmyvw are NOT the right nuts. There's no integrated washer on them at all.

Not a MAJOR thing, but if you're touting the kit as having xxx parts included, at least make sure they're the right part. Now I've got to get to a hardware store and get some adequate washers that I'm inevitably going to drop everywhere as I try to put things together.

Good news is I got the three studs that came out with the old nuts salvaged. Took a butane torch to them just to heat the nut up a little and they came off with minimal fuss. Ran a tap down each nut to clean it up and they're perfectly good to be used again.

Also ordered a battery for the car last night since the battery that was put in it was A, bad, and B, completely wrong for the car. Best deal I found was a 94R on Amazon from AC Delco for $137 due to a 20% off coupon due to having a Prime account. Most I saw were the $179 to $220 range. (old guy coming out) I remember back in my day when batteries were half that as a norm for pricing.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I now have a VNT-17 hanging in the car. Went ahead tonight and put on the EGR block off plate, moved the oil drain over (after pressure testing to ensure it's not leaking.....it doesn't look so hot but it solid), cleaned up the rest of the studs, and got her hung.

I meant to do FAR more work today but simply didn't have the time. Between errands, my youngest childs 4th birthday party, and home stuff, I snagged an hour and a half this evening to tinker.

Tomorrow after work I'm going to open the manifold and burn it out.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Just got a phone call from the previous owner. Turns out there were two dealerships he was using for service, and he gave me info for the one I was missing. Found out two things about the car.

1, the tank was dropped at some point, and reassembly messed up the fuel level sender. Gauge shows 3/4 when full.

2, it's going to need a clutch. It has the factory original clutch still at 225k miles.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Those aftermarket pinch copper nuts are total garbage. They cause the stud threads to gall up when you try to remove them. I throw them straight into the trash and either use OEM or some hardware store stuff.