Good place in East GTA/Durham region to scrap catalytic converter?

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Have a downpipe/cat off my Jetta to dispose of. No idea what to expect for it. Any recommendations?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Call the local scrap yards and ask.

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
Not sure what their worth. A new one cost me 110 bucks so wont be more than that. Tripple M is usually the best I find for copper.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure what their worth. A new one cost me 110 bucks so wont be more than that. Tripple M is usually the best I find for copper.
A new one from VW is $110? Aftermarket convertes have a lot less precious metals than OE.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
When I was replacing this unit (flexpipe+cat assembly) an OEM unit was going to be $1100. Instead got a Buzzken version for <$400.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Check kijiji. There are scrappers that might offer more than the yards do.

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
I got a magnaflow 3" OEM quality for 110CAD. The vw cat usually includes the whole DP assembly hence the cost.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I got a magnaflow 3" OEM quality for 110CAD. The vw cat usually includes the whole DP assembly hence the cost.
Where did you get the info that the converter is OE (VW) quality?

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
I wouldnt say its OE quality, as OE tends to have more platinum, its more the metal and build is OE quality (aka no rust essentialy) but also works just as well. It's a magnaflow. Got it from tdot performance.

Magnaflow 51209 - Universal-Fit Catalytic Converter, OEM Grade, 3 in. Inlet/Outlet, Round, L-9 in., Overall L-13 in., W-5 1/8 in., Magnaflow-51209, 1, $124.39 (after tax)

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wouldnt say its OE quality, as OE tends to have more platinum, its more the metal and build is OE quality (aka no rust essentialy) but also works just as well. It's a magnaflow. Got it from tdot performance.

Magnaflow 51209 - Universal-Fit Catalytic Converter, OEM Grade, 3 in. Inlet/Outlet, Round, L-9 in., Overall L-13 in., W-5 1/8 in., Magnaflow-51209, 1, $124.39 (after tax)
Is it CARB certifiend to be used in California? If not then it's just another aftermarket converter with much lower quality than OE.

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
You think most of the cost of that assembly comes from the DP/flexpipe? That would be a surprise to me.
Well I can tell you this. If you took all the precious metals out of the cat, you'd get ~$200 - $300. So how they can charge $1100, I don't know, thats how vbub and all the manufactures do it. The point was that for $1100 you got a whole assembly, not just a cat, and has no bearing on the scrap cost. The scrapper could care less about the $2 worth of steel.

I still stand by that it will scrap for around 110 bucks at the right place.

4JimmyVee

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Silver
MY cat was clogged, I could really feel the car was struggling to keep 120km when up a long hill. I had it removed and replaced with a straight pipe yes no more cat. Car runs better, tail end smoke seems no different and no change in sound so who needs it, not me. Don't waist your money on a new one just run a pipe.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Carb was $300.
Carb is in par with OE quality and so is the $300 price of a universal fiting one. What you got for $110 is a converter that will last maybe until next etest time. Even when these are new, they don't bring the emission levels down to where the OE quality ones do because they can't. Not enough "brick" in the converter. Some manufacturers call them 'high flow converters". Ofcourse they are high flow when 2/3 of the material is missing. They are meant to be a cheap short term solution. There is no such a thing as free lunch, especially when it comes to catalytic converters.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
MY cat was clogged, I could really feel the car was struggling to keep 120km when up a long hill. I had it removed and replaced with a straight pipe yes no more cat. Car runs better, tail end smoke seems no different and no change in sound so who needs it, not me. Don't waist your money on a new one just run a pipe.
If my memory is correct, your '99 doesn't have an O2 sensor/s so the ECU has no idea that the converter is missing. All the slightly newer ones have dowstream O2 sensors and the ECU will know the converter is not working/missing and throw the check engine light in a very short order. Tunning it out cost money and is highly illegal.

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
Pretty sure 04 was the first year of the 02 sensor. And it is only upstream so still does not recognize the cat. My 2003 def did not have an 02 sensor. The 04 was the first year they started adding more emmissions equipment.

As for the converter, I don't expect the cat to work super well. But it keeps me legal, and more importantly keeps the smell down! Used to stink up my whole house when I started the car in the garage!

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Following up on this. I took the cat/downpipe to Langille's in Port Perry. They gave me $125 for it. Was happy with that.