Water pump seized in roadtrip

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Posting here since the Atlantic board is pretty dead, and so am I unless I sort this out.

Original post:
Driving through cape Breton on my way to work in gagetown, my water pump seized at St. Anne's lookout. The belt is still intact, no valve damage. If anyone knows a shop in the area I can tow it to, or spot I can leave it while I carry on to work and figure out the belt later. Worst case scenario, it's for sale. Needs timing belt, in great shape otherwise.

So the situation is, I'm parked at a scenic outlook with a engine I'm afraid to drive with. If you know anyone on the east coast let me know. I'll buy you a beer when I'm home in Ontario.

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
If the pump seized the belt should have jumped. Was it still running when you shut it off?

Not many import places on the island.

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Update: The belt was slightly off center on the the water pump sprocket, with a few mm of teeth clear of it. The length of teeth running over the sprocket were stripped completely off, which made me think the water pump had seized and ripped teeth off. The remaining teeth still seat in the cam and pump sprockets, and it only ran for seconds with the belt shredded/shredding. I am hoping the timing didn't jump but the realist in me accepts I'll need a head. The Volkswagen owners group of Newfoundland Facebook page put me in touch with a retired guru minutes away from the incident site and he will diagnose and fix the car while I carry on to gagetown on the bus. He came highly recommended and other members have been saved by him in the past, and has incredibly reasonable rates. With 513000km on the car I figure if repair costs are under 1200 I'll fix it and pick it up in a few weeks on a weekend. Thanks for the responses.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
That sucks.

Did the engine stall? If that's the case, the valves have a good chance of hitting pistons.

Although, if the guru finds that the cam and crank are still timed up, you might have got lucky.

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I pulled off on a scenic lookout to take some pictures at the top of a small mountain, and when I got back in and started it there was a whining coming from the bay. Immediately shut it off and found the belt like that. Started normal, and didn't die itself so I am hoping it's okay.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Way back when, when I had no knowledge of VW diesels, timing belts etc. I had a similar experience with a 1995 Passat TD. It died on me going across an intersection. I kept on trying to start the beast, then it ended up costing me a lot of money to get fixed.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I had the same in my ALH. I think the water pump was the issue. It was messy. Good thing I only have a HPFP to worry about now :)

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
So I got word yesterday, no. 4 exhaust valve got tapped, it's lifter to cam tolerance is out. So it's looking like I'll have to repair my head or buy a new one, plus all associated costs. If anyone has a good to go TDI for sale right now, this is the time to speak up.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
If it's still at the East coast, just sell it as is and save the headache.