Do you hate the style of modern cars as much as I do?

2011tdiproject

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
I just had to say something about this. haha. I HATE the style of so many new cars these days. The ones I hate all have the following features:

1) A hood and grille that is way taller than it needs to be, or used to be. This is true wether it is a pickup, or a small car, or an suv. Or course, this extends inside the car to the dash, which is the same height as the hood. This compromises forward visibility and aerdynamics. For trucks, look at the 88-98 chevy, then the new chevy trucks. The new ones seem like the hood is about a foot taller. (The motors are the same size.) For cars, look at the old hondas from the 80s and 90s, or the popular integra, then look at any new car these days. The hood of the old hondas is about 6" lower than any of the new cars.

2) Door sills that start out slightly lower than the hood/dash, and then extend up toward the rear of the car. In other words the rear of the rear door sills is noticeably higher than the front of the front door sills. This does not make the car look "sporty", it just makes it look unbalanced and ugly! As an example of a car not like this, look at the '96 impala ss. Or the old BMWs. The doors are flat along the top, front to back. Then look at any new car. This styling trend leads to my next style complaint.

3)The rear deck, and the bottom of the rear glass is of course at that same height, as is the top of the trunk, or that part of the trunk/hatch. This unecessary height severely compromises rear visibility. It also just looks flat out stupid, having a trunklid that is a foot above the hood. Yuck.

The new styling trend of these tall, almost suv like cars makes me want to puke. They talk about their low coefficient of drag, but totally forget about frontal area! It takes more hp to push my 2011 golf tdi down the road than my old honda accord, and that is flat out retarded.

I wish these designers would get a clue, and start designing cars for overall aero, not just Cd, a lower center of gravity, decent visibility out of them, and make them not all look the same!

And PLease, stop copying styles from the 60s, come up with your own style! I don't care how good the modern powertrains are, I don't want to drive a 2014 1969 camaro! Or a 2014 1970 challenger! Or a 2014 1968 mustang.

I feel a little better now. Just had to get that off my chest. I honestly think the cars from the 90s were a lot better looking than most cars out there these days. (last gen rx7 vs what now, the FRS? Not even close!)Audi is doing their thing properly though, I will say.

leusgs

TDI
06 BRM, 00 ALH
Great points - I agree with them all except I like 2014 1969 Camaros. I rented a 2014 Maxima last week and the visibility is terrible. Ridiculous high hood and angles that make it impossible to see where the corners of the car is.

Sit in a 1990s Honda Accord and the difference is amazing. Too bad they are mostly all rusted away.

radoroc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
I couldn't agree more. I've been saying for years how ugly most new cars are. Styling peaked in the 90's. They are going to the spaceship design slowly.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Most new styles are a disaster. Agree 110- %. Another reason why I keep my 02.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I still think my '97 Volvo 850 was one of the best looking cars I have ever seen/owned, but tastes are eclectic.

My gripe now, is that since everybody ripped off the look of the Rabbit in the 70's, everything looks the same! My wife changed parking spots at the store the other day, and I damn near put my bags in the wrong car, it was so similar!

- Tim

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Like some, don't like others, but this is no different than in any other era.

Many cars nowadays have beltlines that are too high and windows that are too small. No argument there.

Pickup trucks have gotten so high that loading and unloading them has gotten to be a pain in the tail. I see no reason for this other than wanting brash "look at me, I'm bigger than you" styling. The big wheels force the axle and diff centerline up and that forces the bed floor up, but even then most of them are several inches higher than really needed.

As for particular vehicles ... everyone has their own tastes. Original poster likes Audi. I never have. To me, all Audi sedans look the same, just scaled up or down a bit. Unimaginative. They've always been too conservative (in any era that you wish to consider).

VW has also gone too conservative. The Passat (to me) looks like the outgoing-generation Chevrolet Impala. (And the new Impala is a far more attractive vehicle!) The Jetta looks like an unimaginative box. The new Golf looks like the old one.

I pay more attention to what the vehicle does, than what it looks like.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Great points - I agree with them all except I like 2014 1969 Camaros. I rented a 2014 Maxima last week and the visibility is terrible. Ridiculous high hood and angles that make it impossible to see where the corners of the car is.

Sit in a 1990s Honda Accord and the difference is amazing. Too bad they are mostly all rusted away.
It's worse in the Camaro, you cant even see out the front window in that car...

2011tdiproject

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
I still think my '97 Volvo 850 was one of the best looking cars I have ever seen/owned, but tastes are eclectic.
- Tim

My dad has a '97 850 wagon, the interior is falling apart, the turbo has stopped spooling, the shocks are done, and the odometer stopped working a long time ago, but it still drives reliably. No slop in the door hinges or latches, the build quality of those old volvos is quite good, which is why I recommended he buy that years ago. I actually do like the style of some of the newer volvos, in my mind some of them have a rather timeless style.

2011tdiproject

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
Original poster likes Audi. I never have. To me, all Audi sedans look the same, just scaled up or down a bit. Unimaginative. They've always been too conservative
I don't like all the audis, but I think when you compare the style of the audis to other vehicles within that same class or type, the audis do manage to stand out. Even in subtle ways like the styling of the taillights on the SUVs. They somehow manage to consistently pull off a more high end look in my book. Yes, this one is conservative, but here's an example from wikipedia of an audi, and amazingly, it does not have the styling cues I hate. Look at the door sills, are they actually level?! Haha.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Audi_S4_Roller.jpg

2011tdiproject

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
Another thing to add. Do you guys know what the VW scirocco (non U.S. market) looks like? I think if VW combined elements of styling from the 4dr Golf and the scirocco, they'd have a real style winner. The Golf is just too tall. I mean, seriously, I'm 6' and I have like 6" of room above my head, why do they do that? So the car goes from 42 to 30mpg in croswinds, and so old guys ask me "what kind of minvan is that, anyway?" I swear to God, if anyone ever asks me that again, my Golf is going on cars.com that same day, if I haven't traded it for a 335d yet. Anyway, so picture the Scirocco with 4 doors and flat, level door sills, more like the 4dr golf, what do you guys think? Or with 2 doors, but with the bottom of the windows behind the doors flat, not like the little tiny peeking out of a prison cell windows they have now.
Here's a quick link to some info and pics on the scirocco vs the Golf, for those who don't know about the scirocco. http://carbonoctane.com/2013/03/201...e-specs-dubai-uae-middleeast-gulf-al-nabooda/

When I drove a 335, I could not believe how much better the visibility was, I could actually change lanes without worrying about pit maneuvering myself!

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Another good looking car was the VOLVO P1800, world record holder.... over 3 Million miles

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
I dunno. I think we are in a styling renaissance. New Elantra, Mazda 3 and Focus ST are very attractive small cars. New bug seems to have turned a corner and looks more macho in right Color. Love the new dodge HD trucks. Muscular and great interiors. New impala is a looker. Charger is stunning in right package and color. Hate minivans and most SUVs but really like the 2 series, CLA and A3. I think that will be a strong battle. Volvo is doing some great things with the S60 and V series cars in styling. New Corvette is off the chart. Don't love the back but the front and sides are superbly sculpted. Since I own one I am still in love with 2010-2013 Camaro styling. The car is just right and looks fabulous. Damn the visibility. Who cares. They ruined the 14 taillights. mustang is not there yet but 15 looks like it could be hot hot. Toy/hon/Nissan needs a tonne of help on the styling side. new golf is attractive but they should of reached MUCH higher on the look. I love Bentley coupes. Can't even imagine owning one though as they are so valuable. Porsches bore me and Ferraris should be beautiful for the price!
Fiat 500s are just too cute for a guy to be seen in. Next gen Maxima looks like it's gonna be a stunner.
Yep. I disagree. Today's cars have NEVER been more attractive. Even a Dodge Dart looks ok..lol

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
I don't like the new boring VW styles so much ... the colors I can't stand. I might actually consider a new Passat if were offered in a color that weren't so blah. Four "greys" are offered. Really? I've had enough black, white, dark red, dark blue & grey. Yawn.

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
Another good looking car was the VOLVO P1800, world record holder.... over 3 Million miles
Yes, tastes vary greatly. To me, Volvo has consistently manufactured the ugliest line of vehicles. I've never cared for a single body style of theirs, in any year, but that's just me.

I rather like a lot of the new styles. I like the look of straighter or at least crisper lines as long as it can be done without making the car look too boxy. Too many rounded corners, lights, etc. seems dated to me, almost 50ish style blended into modern (and I'm not young).

Though some newer styles, like the Nissan Cube, are just outright repulsive to my tastes.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I remember the rounding that occurred late 80's / early 90's. Everyone hated that. I think I hear less complaints now, at least in non-automotive circles; actually I'm not sure the last time I've heard someone who wasn't a gearhead complain about auto styling...

I agree with the complaints about tall trucks; but I have noticed one thing on mine: the tailgate is at the right height for me to use as a work surface. Might be a tad high but overall not bad. I've used the tailgate a few times to cut plywood.

Call me crazy but I still like the styling on my A4 Jetta. While it shows its age I'm not seeing anything actually wrong with with it. It simply works.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
The trend in taller hoods has been partially driven by European standards dictating a certain distance between the hood and the hard parts (engine) underneath. The goal is to improve safety for pedestrians that are struck by the car. The hood is supposed to offer a bit of crumple distance and absorb some of the impact.

I agree, and was going to point this out. Same with the trunks, better rear-end collision safety. The poor designers have to cope with these rules when styling.

My other comment is: Anyone who doesn't think my MK6 Jetta has really sweet, sexy and aggressive style that looks great, is simply completely wrong! :p:p:p

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
I agree, and was going to point this out. Same with the trunks, better rear-end collision safety. The poor designers have to cope with these rules when styling.

My other comment is: Anyone who doesn't think my MK6 Jetta has really sweet, sexy and aggressive style that looks great, is simply completely wrong! :p:p:p
completely wrong indeed. ;)

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
Overall the cars of today looks better than most all cars from 1971-199x.

Not only do the look better but they function better, more powerful, better mpg, and safer.

Plus, you have way more options on style and size. If you don't like a big truck then there or nice medium sized trucks which outperform full size 1980s style trucks.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Yeah the cars nowadays are all ugly! And the music is too loud and I can't understand the words! :rolleyes:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A lot of how cars look today is driven by regulations. Pedestrian safety regulations required a redesign of the Mini, and required Mazda and Cadillac put in pistons with explosive charges to raise the rear of the hood in the event of an impact so pedestrians would slide up the hood and roll off.

Side impact standards that must withstand a Golf, for example, getting hit by an SUV account for smaller side windows. And of course front and rear collision standards, along with FE standards that require cars be more aerodynamic, drive styling decisions.

It's nice to think that older Volvos, BMWs, and even MKIV VWs are better looking than the current cars. But none of them would meet today's regulations.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Like some, don't like others, but this is no different than in any other era.

Many cars nowadays have beltlines that are too high and windows that are too small. No argument there.

Pickup trucks have gotten so high that loading and unloading them has gotten to be a pain in the tail. I see no reason for this other than wanting brash "look at me, I'm bigger than you" styling. The big wheels force the axle and diff centerline up and that forces the bed floor up, but even then most of them are several inches higher than really needed.

As for particular vehicles ... everyone has their own tastes. Original poster likes Audi. I never have. To me, all Audi sedans look the same, just scaled up or down a bit. Unimaginative. They've always been too conservative (in any era that you wish to consider).

VW has also gone too conservative. The Passat (to me) looks like the outgoing-generation Chevrolet Impala. (And the new Impala is a far more attractive vehicle!) The Jetta looks like an unimaginative box. The new Golf looks like the old one.

I pay more attention to what the vehicle does, than what it looks like.
Amen! The new Ford work truck ,that my employer provided me, is ridiculously tall especially for a two wheel drive model. I guess to simplify making the 4x4's. The left pillar is too thick meaning I can't turn my head and put eyes on when merging into traffic. The cup holders are way too low. Other than that it's good but I really miss my poor deceased GMC.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Yeah the cars nowadays are all ugly! And the music is too loud and I can't understand the words! :rolleyes:
And get off my lawn!

Thanks for the smile.

Also, thanks to the OP for explaining what is that he doesn't like. So many times people just say that this or that is ugly, but to explain what it is, makes for actual conversation.

Now I'm curious if the OP has any styling cues from todays new cars that he likes.

Last edited by a moderator:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/

My gripe now, is that since everybody ripped off the look of the Rabbit in the 70's, everything looks the same! My wife changed parking spots at the store the other day, and I damn near put my bags in the wrong car, it was so similar!

- Tim
not sure what you're smoking, but there isn't a single NEW car that is reminiscent of the mk1 rabbit on the road these days... not even close :rolleyes:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Apparently nothing as good as you have been tooting . . . I never said anything about the Rabbit and anything now, just that the Rabbit was the first I recall of styling ripoffs, which continues to be prevalent between brands today (and I'll say this really slow so you can grasp it . . . )
O n
o t h e r
m o d e l s !!!
I've seen plenty that are almost identical to the Passat, but not sure who was first.

- Tim