Beef on a Budget. VR6/Wagon springs

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Thanks for answering all my questions. I'm getting ready to install my springs along with bilsteins tc sports and would you recommend one set of 10mm spacers or two? I don't mind the rear being 1/2 inch higher as that is normal?

DSL HED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta wagon DSG
52172, I'll update this thread when I get my Golf done. Should be done with it this weekend. Waiting for new LCAs to come in (tomorrow) and then will be doing the driver's side strut on the weekend. Then I'll be done.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
To the OP and anyone altering their ride height to any appreciable degree.
The rear axle is supposed to bolted to its attachment points such that at a level ride height NO preload is imposed on the axle bushings.
IF you are raising (or lowering) the ride height it may be worth considering loosening the axle bolts and then retorquing them with the car sitting level, .5 tank of fuel. VW directs one to do this when replacing the bushings as well, so makes sense to check/change as needed when raising lowering car. IMHO in the examples shown above if this is not done the wear rate of the axle bushings will be accelerated.

miketoth1979

TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Thank you for the input, mech644, that isn't something that I even thought to consider.

Is there anything special I would need to do before loosening and retorquing those bolts, or is it pretty straightforward?

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Basically it's that simple. The bolt may be a torque to yield type in which case many would advise you to replace it, or it may not, I didn't replace mine and didn't loose a minutes sleep over it.
When I tightened mine after replacing the bushings I drove all 4 wheels up on top of 2 pieces of 2X6 per wheel (needed the extra clearance to swing wrenches), got out, jounced the car up and down a few times, and then laid down and tightened the bolt and nut.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
I just installed new struts/mounts front and rear (Koni FSD's) along with the Moog 81134 front coils. The Moogs replaced stock 2pink/2green coils(140 lb'ish I think). I've yet to make a choice on new rear coils. The lift in the rear demonstrated by the OP would not work well in my application.
Regardless I'm very happy with the FSD/Moog combo; rides great, takes craters and cracks equally well, handling limits far exceed the previous Koni Reds/stock springs. Before starting front fender crest was at 25", now at 27.5". The Reds are still usable, as are the mounts; suspension wasn't totally trashed, slinky stock springs just basically suck.
Surprisingly car still feels fairly balanced in spite of present front/rear spring combo. I'm still going to go with a heavier rear spring. At present the new rear struts are providing what the springs lack, rear lifted 1" with just the struts (rear mounts are fine, would've used them again if I didn't have new on hand).
Whatever one chooses for struts these Moogs, for the price from Rock Auto, are very hard to pass up, less then $60 delivered to my door.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I'm installing all four moogs with a set of 10mm spacers next Friday. Along with full TT bushings. Car will sit higher but have more travel and corner much flatter. Can't wait.

GardRail

Veteran Member
TDI
2k2 Blue Golf
Given the type of write-up, and all the good information in this thread - any chance I can nominate it to be a sticky? :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm installing all four moogs with a set of 10mm spacers next Friday. Along with full TT bushings. Car will sit higher but have more travel and corner much flatter. Can't wait.
What struts and shocks?

Skullbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen
Hey Miketoth, I'm gonna order this blau suspension set for my 2004 PD, you said you went with the 4cyl set? And you thought maybe you should've gone with the VR6 set? Is this with the hopes of lifting your car more? I'm happy with the height my car sits, so I don't want to lift it at all, but I want a nice sporty ride with stiffer handling. I've seen some people say that the 4 cyl kit doesn't take the TDI weight in mind. If you weren't trying to lift your car, but just replace the suspension, would you stick with the 4 cyl kit?

miketoth1979

TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I really feel like you would be fine going with EITHER set as long as you don't change your springs like I did. The VR6 kit will probably just be a little bit stiffer, but the overall ride height should really be determined by your springs. You might gain a tiny bit of lift initially...but the shocks/struts will settle in. The car will likely handle much better, etc, but I don't think it will lift up much, if at all.

I just want the VR6 blausport struts (but not the shocks) because I want the front stiffened up just a little, and I want the rear to stay right where it is now.

Last edited:

Skullbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen
Gotcha. Yeah, I emailed blausports and asked them about that, mentioning the weight difference and what some people had said, but they of course said to go with what the catalog recommended.. 4cyl for 4 cyl... The handling is one thing about this car I haven't been happy with.. too mushy.. maybe the Vr6 set would would make for a sportier ride. I used to drive my friends '04 GLI.. the handling was amazing.. but I don't want to get 18" wheels and I'm sure that suspension is out of my budget. Thanks for the thread and the input. I'll check back when I'm done installing.

legoleg

TDI
2002 Jetta
Skullbag, have you ordered/installed the Blausports for the VR6? How are they? I'm looking to replace mine right now.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I have the Blausports VR6 set up in my 4 door golf with the VR6 springs in the front and wagon springs in the rear. It is great, but i was looking for lift and ended up putting about 1" of spacer in the front to level things up. The Bluasport kit is the most complete kit i have seen, the only problem i have with it is the blue color.

1.9 TDI Awd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI Golf 5spd
I have the Blausports VR6 set up in my 4 door golf with the VR6 springs in the front and wagon springs in the rear. It is great, but i was looking for lift and ended up putting about 1" of spacer in the front to level things up. The Bluasport kit is the most complete kit i have seen, the only problem i have with it is the blue color.

How long ago did you order the kit? i am looking into getting the kit and i noticed they have a label saying, "Available to Pre-Order. This item will be available to ship in 10/15/11:eek:. Please see Pre-Order information" and i really want to get a set. just wondering. i will be contacting them about it. thanks.
I have an Autocross race september 11th i wanted to redo suspesnion for....bummer

1.9 TDI Awd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI Golf 5spd
Hmmm, maybe ill just have to order them and see, even though i am only a few days away from there listed date. do you know it they said pre order stock only when you ordered or did they have them in full stock when you odered?

1.9 TDI Awd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI Golf 5spd
Ordered the VR6 kit at like 11am....2pm they arrived NEXT DAY!! so impressed!! also just ordered the Rock Auto springs as mention in the begining post. used a 5% discount code off google search total with shipping was $98.04... hope i see that tomorrow too haha. well cant wait to Join "Beef Budget Suspension" Club

dadsdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 NB TDI
I did mine 4 months ago and am very happy with the results (the Moog springs all around and Bilstein TC's). The only time I really notice it is once a month when we go up into New York on RT219 - absolutely terrible old concrete section of road.

Other than that, I love the handling in the twistys with the setup.

1.9 TDI Awd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI Golf 5spd
OK, After a rough two seperated weekends...Im Done! hahah to much visiting from family when its nice out i wanted to work on the car, gota love family. well turns out a few hours over a whole weekend will get a Shine Rear Sway Bar drilled and installed, and a Beef Budget Suspension rear end done. Flawless other than limited time to install. Front end however turned into a night mare working into the 40* night with limited light. stopped when the 4pound BFH came out to help with the install. went out sunday morning all ready to work, and things just slid right together with a friends help, a fresh sunday sober mind, clear suny skies.
ALL in all Great kit Highly recomemnded! in love with the new feel. wants to over steer if i really get tweaking on the wheel! VR6 Blauparts kit and the moog springs from the orignial post. PERFECT!
Put Miles on... LOVE the new setup i Highley Recomend it! If your even thinking about it. About $500 and Super Fresh! Drives Like A R32! HAHA

Last edited:

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
I did mine 4 months ago and am very happy with the results (the Moog springs all around and Bilstein TC's). The only time I really notice it is once a month when we go up into New York on RT219 - absolutely terrible old concrete section of road.

Other than that, I love the handling in the twistys with the setup.
I have TC's on my Golf and when the roads are rough (read: beat up concrete) the ride is horrible. I have read it's the TC's, not the springs.

Can you shoot a pic of your car and post it? And, measure the highest point of the fender arches? I need a reference point....

Thanks.

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
Hmmm...the first picture showing that the VR6 springs are the same height as stock, was not what I experienced with my first wagon that was fitted with VR6 springs in front. The VR6 springs were at least 1.5 inches taller than the stock springs, I will try to get pictures showing height difference of the springs (stock wagon front spring vs. Moog part no 81134 from rockauto.com)

I left the stock wagon springs on the rear, and went with Bilstein HD's on the rear. I will go with Bilstein TC's on the rear of the wife's wagon, to hopefully mellow out the slightly increased tightness.stiffness of the ride (for her, but I like the ride)

1.9 TDI Awd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI Golf 5spd
Before i installed my new, i compaired to all the old. my front stock springs are about 1.5" shorter, as well as the VR6 spring has almost three more coils around and a heavier gaguge on the spring. its an obvious gain of spring mass. i did get to excited in the car and frogot to measure my stock and then "Beefed". I love the Whole setup. Taller, stiffer, more comfortable. i will be driving about 800 miles this weekend for Thanksgiving and all. Lets see how high way for extended periods of time goes. been great the little i have done for highway so far.
I didnt understand till i redid the suspension, On Ramps=Awsome. tracks well, pulls well, less wheel hop, WAY more response and cutting is much smoother and reactive, and G's from cornering(Nothing much). Went from Dead, to Killer!