VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

1842 TDI

TDI
2014 Jetta
1842TDI, were you able to get registration as well on those converted salvage titles? In my state of CA I could not get title without the salvage certificate (also an oregon salvage certificate), bill of sale, brake, light, smog, DMV inspection, sales tax, and fees.
As a dealer I don't need the registration to turn in a vehicle, just a bill of sale.

This is why I got a dealer license. It was cheaper to get the license, from one of the online places offering to pair you with an existing dealer, than it was to repair the vehicle then pay sales tax, registration, and insurance to get a rebuilt title and registration in my name in order to turn it in as a private individual.

The Oregon titles I got say "OREGON SALVAGE TITLE CERTIFICATE" where the California document says "SALVAGE CERTIFICATE". While I am still waiting on the documents review for my 3 Oregon titles the fact that it is a "TITLE CERTIFICATE" not a "SALVAGE CERTIFICATE" should make it acceptable to VW.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
1842TDI,

Certainly, as a dealer the language seems to be in your favor. As an owner, non-dealer I think the below applies to me.

APPENDIX A of Approved Department of Justice Consent Decree, para 2.7 “Eligible Owner” means the registered owner or owners of an Eligible Vehicle..." But there's no explicit language to state if a dealer is an eligible owner without being the "Registered" owner or even if they mean "registered" means DMV registered.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
In NJ Salvage car that does not go through inspection get Certificate of Title and giant SALVAGE stamp across it. Do you think it will be OK?

1842 TDI

TDI
2014 Jetta
1842TDI,

Certainly, as a dealer the language seems to be in your favor. As an owner, non-dealer I think the below applies to me.

APPENDIX A of Approved Department of Justice Consent Decree, para 2.7 “Eligible Owner” means the registered owner or owners of an Eligible Vehicle..." But there's no explicit language to state if a dealer is an eligible owner without being the "Registered" owner or even if they mean "registered" means DMV registered.
I agree with you, as a private individual turning in the vehicle you need to be the registered owner. Which means, unless you were the owner at the time it was salvaged, you will need to repair the vehicle and get a rebuilt title on it so you can then get it registered in your name to be able to turn it in.

I referred to the class action settlement's definition of an Eligible Owner in section 2.30 "...A Non-Volkswagen Dealer who, on or after June 28, 2016, holds title to or holds by bill of sale an Eligible Vehicle in the United States or its territories shall qualify as an Eligible Owner regardless of whether that Non-Volkswagen Dealer is registered as the owner of the Eligible Vehicle..."

1842 TDI

TDI
2014 Jetta
In NJ Salvage car that does not go through inspection get Certificate of Title and giant SALVAGE stamp across it. Do you think it will be OK?
If you are the registered owner or are turning it in as a dealer with bill of sale I would expect it to be ok.

From what I have experienced as long as the ownership document is labeled as a title of some sort, i.e. Certificate of Title, Title Certificate, Vehicle Title, etc, not just a certificate, it will work even if it is branded Salvage.

Jdtdi2

TDI
2011 JSW
I've been following this thread and wanted to add a little more info for those interested. I submitted a claim for rebuilt title vehicle (including proof of acquisition) on 7/19. I received the green check marks later the same day along with the email saying that my application appears to be complete. It looks like VW may be moving forward with these now after a period of delay.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
And so, we continue in the limbo of "what is the definition of operable"? Does an insurance totaled vehicle have to be repaired to a level sufficient to be street legal to qualify? Or does it simply have to "start the engine and move under it's own power"? And how does title status fit in this?

I'm tempted to call, request a reset, and see if I could qualify for restitution only, then sign over the salvage certificate to the dealer and let THEM deal with it. It would cost me some money--ok a fair amount of money--but it would be freaking over.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Halbert, If you're a dealer then from what 1842TDI has shown you may submit bill of sale and salvage certificate. If you're not a dealer it seems you have to submit DMV registration and title. Registering the car and obtaining a branded title answers the question of sufficient repair to be street legal as at least in my state, as I wrote earlier, it requires brake, light, smog, dmv inspection, tax, and fees.

"Moving under its own power" is the minimal requirement after registration and title is obtained (for a private owner) or bill of sale and salvage certificate (for a dealer).

Good luck. This is how my evolving understanding is shaping.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Halbert, If you're a dealer then from what 1842TDI has shown you may submit bill of sale and salvage certificate. If you're not a dealer it seems you have to submit DMV registration and title. Registering the car and obtaining a branded title answers the question of sufficient repair to be street legal as at least in my state, as I wrote earlier, it requires brake, light, smog, dmv inspection, tax, and fees.

"Moving under its own power" is the minimal requirement after registration and title is obtained (for a private owner) or bill of sale and salvage certificate (for a dealer).

Good luck. This is how my evolving understanding is shaping.
Thanks. I'm not a dealer. I'm a private guy with one vehicle. I sent everything, including the original bill of sale from June '14, to the claims resolution committee in mid-june. I got an email back that said, "we'll get back to you in a few weeks". I think I'll wait to hear from them. Maybe even I'll be able to talk on the phone to a real decision maker. But I doubt it. The vehicle was damaged on November 25, 2016

1842 TDI

TDI
2014 Jetta
Foolkin, That is not quite right. Even as a dealer they have rejected "Salvage Certificates" when I submitted them. The one exception was the California Salvage Certificate they accepted at the beginning and I have since been told they should not have accepted it.

They have accepted "Title Certificates" and the like that are branded as Salvage.

The problem you run into as a private individual is that you need to submit registration not a bill of sale to turn in a car. The state will not give you a registration on a salvage vehicle, so then you have to repair it before you can get it registered.

Unless you were the owner when it received the salvage title. Then you have the registration from before it was salvaged and can use that registration.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
The problem you run into as a private individual is that you need to submit registration not a bill of sale to turn in a car. The state will not give you a registration on a salvage vehicle, so then you have to repair it before you can get it registered.

Unless you were the owner when it received the salvage title. Then you have the registration from before it was salvaged and can use that registration.
And that is exactly the limbo situation I'm in. Originally started the buyback process with the actual title, then the accident happened. To maintain possession, I got the salvage cert, it was rejected and here we are. I have the old registration documents as well as the original bill of sale.

1842 TDI

TDI
2014 Jetta
And that is exactly the limbo situation I'm in. Originally started the buyback process with the actual title, then the accident happened. To maintain possession, I got the salvage cert, it was rejected and here we are. I have the old registration documents as well as the original bill of sale.
Halbert, You are in a tough situation. VW is not going to accept the Salvage Certificate. Even though it is the legal ownership document for the vehicle they don't accept them for the title.

As I see it you have a couple options.

You can repair the car and get a rebuilt tile on it. You will not need to register it because you already have the old registration but will still incur the cost of the repairs. If you or a buddy can do the work you can save some money on the repairs. As someone before said the car does not have to be pretty to get a rebuilt title, just safe to drive on the road.

You can sell the car to someone, probably a dealer, in another state. They would take your Salvage Certificate and get a Salvage Title from the state they are in. Assuming their state issues titles not certificates on salvage vehicles. To do this you will want to wait until VW figures out what they are doing. Right now prices are very low for salvage TDIs as no one wants to take the risk until they know what is happening.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Sigh. That's what I'm afraid of. I'll make some calls about what it might cost to get it repaired enough to pass inspection. I hope that doesn't include replacing the side airbags which deployed (including the one from the passenger seat). It will include a rear axle. Not going to worry about the sprung chassis. Surprisingly, the airbag deployment did NOT break open the electrical system like it does on some vehicles. It does start, and run and is "driveable" for a short distance in a relatively straight line.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Halbert, you don't have to replace airbags. Or airbag controller (they go hand in hand if you want the air bag light off). You can buy an air bag cover on eBay to cosmetically make it look good. I CA you need brake, light, and smog inspection. I had to repair my cars to the point of passing those tests.

Last edited:

emeraldzippy

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MK5-DSG-119K-Malone 1.5 Past: 1997 Passat, 2012 Jetta wagon, 1987 Ford Ranger diesel, 1982 Chevette diesel
Here's what he sent,

Something's awry with the photobkt hosting; can't see the contact info for claims review committee.

Mind reposting? I want to send in the accident report from mid October 2015 when the vehicle was "totaled" and received its branded title. Perhaps it being so close to the sept 15 2015 date, they're balking and confused.

This gathering and research took me all of 72 hours. Why can't this Review Committee get it together?! I echo sentiments that they're doing this to punish anyone with multiple claims. I'll only have 3 by the end of it all, but those with 5/10/40 are being dragged too.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Something's awry with the photobkt hosting; can't see the contact info for claims review committee.
Mind reposting? I want to send in the accident report from mid October 2015 when the vehicle was "totaled" and received its branded title. Perhaps it being so close to the sept 15 2015 date, they're balking and confused.
This gathering and research took me all of 72 hours. Why can't this Review Committee get it together?! I echo sentiments that they're doing this to punish anyone with multiple claims. I'll only have 3 by the end of it all, but those with 5/10/40 are being dragged too.
Photobucket wants to charge $400 for 3rd party hosting, all of their links are now dead. Stop using them and use the photo server here instead. Or another one if you choose.

1842 TDI

TDI
2014 Jetta
3.0L Salvage Title deemed inelegible

VW has rejected my claim for a 2011 Audi Q7 with a salvage title.

I called VW and they said it is ineligible because it has a salvage title. I have turned in multiple 2.0L salvage title cars and the wording regarding salvage titles in the 3.0L settlement is almost the same.

The vehicle was salvaged on April 13, 2017 with cosmetic damage to the front, hood, and driver fender. It still runs and drives fine and all safety equipment and lights are intact and functioning.

I will be filing an appeal with the Claims Review Committee. I'll let you know what happens.

lvrpl

TDI
Passat TDI
I called VW and they said it is ineligible because it has a salvage title. I have turned in multiple 2.0L salvage title cars and the wording regarding salvage titles in the 3.0L settlement is almost the same.
The vehicle was salvaged on April 13, 2017 with cosmetic damage to the front, hood, and driver fender. It still runs and drives fine and all safety equipment and lights are intact and functioning.
I will be filing an appeal with the Claims Review Committee. I'll let you know what happens.
Please do. I also had a 2010 Q7 with a salvage title just get rejected yesterday. I'll also be filing an appeal and will let you know how my progress goes. Mine was salvaged in Feb 2017. I reread the court documents (even though I've read them many time already) and it absolutely meets the requirements for me to be a class member and Eligible Owner.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW

Please do. I also had a 2010 Q7 with a salvage title just get rejected yesterday. I'll also be filing an appeal and will let you know how my progress goes. Mine was salvaged in Feb 2017. I reread the court documents (even though I've read them many time already) and it absolutely meets the requirements for me to be a class member and Eligible Owner.
How were both you notified that your claims were rejected?

I've had documents rejected, but never had them reject my entire claim as ineligible.

I'd be interested to read the email, or other notice you received notifying you that your claim is rejected.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI

Mind reposting?
  1. I don’t think that Volkswagen’s ineligibility determination or offer amount calculation is accurate. Can I appeal this decision?

Posted on: June 6, 2017
    Yes. If you believe you are eligible to receive benefits under the Settlement Program or that your offer amount is incorrect, you may appeal the ineligibility determination or offer amount calculation to the Court-appointed Claims Review Committee. The Claims Review Committee is composed of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from Settlement Class Counsel and a Court-appointed neutral who will be called upon to resolve disagreements between the Claims Committee’s other members, should they arise. To submit an appeal to the Claims Review Committee, you must send a written request to appeal to the Claims Review Committee, P.O. Box 214500, Auburn Hills, MI 48321 or crc@vwcourtsettlement.com. Your request must include the following information: Claimant’s name, address, telephone number, VIN of the affected vehicle and Claim Reference Number. A brief statement explaining why you believe the ineligibility determination or offer amount calculation was in error. After your claim is received and reviewed by the Claims Review Committee, you will receive a final determination as to your eligibility status.
Save

miltak

TDI
passat,jetta
The words are little different in 3.0 vs 2,0,but still:
Owners whose Volkswagen, Audi, or Porsche 3.0-liter TDI vehicle had a branded title of
assembled, dismantled, flood, junk, rebuilt, reconstructed, or salvage on September 18, 2015,
and was acquired from a junkyard, salvage yard, or salvage dealer after September 18, 2015;

So if your vehicle didn't have salvage title as of september 18,2015,according to the settlement-it should be eligible.Note they added salvage dealer,which is not there in 2.0.
But word "and" in lawyer term means both things must be met to be not eligible.Meaning branded title in 2015 and bought from junk,salvage yard/dealer etc.
So if it wasn't branded in 2015 any judge or jury would side with you as it is eligible vehicle.
It would suck to wait like us with 2.0 for CRC,because it will be many many months before they will review your case.(I have 3 cases there for 2 months,because VW is ignoring the claims-not making any decision- and nothing and I don't expect them to look at it anytime soon since only 3 people have to look at so many)

BTW I just spoke to Phong-Chau Nguyen from Lieff Cabraser office -he is handling the 2.0 and he said he hopes they will reach agreement with VW over rebuilt/salvage title,that have been on hold hopefully in next few weeks.
But who knows how-they still prefer the previous owner of totaled vehicles over us,that own them now.My gut feeling is-they may still do the buyback,but without the restitution payment,which would go to previous owner if he owned it the whole time.
At that point you would have to appeal to CRC for full payment and there goes months and months.But who knows.

1842 TDI

TDI
2014 Jetta
How were both you notified that your claims were rejected?

I've had documents rejected, but never had them reject my entire claim as ineligible.

I'd be interested to read the email, or other notice you received notifying you that your claim is rejected.
It was another email, same format as all the others.

Here it is:
Dear (Poor Sucker):
Based on the documents and information you have provided as part of your claim with Reference No. xxxxxxxxx, you are not eligible to participate in the Diesel Emissions Settlement Claims Program. The reason(s) for your ineligibility is described below.
• Vehicle is not eligible - Your vehicle is not eligible to participate in the Settlement Program.
If you believe you are entitled to claim benefits under the Diesel Emissions Settlement Claims Program, you may appeal this ineligibility determination to the Court-appointed Claims Review Committee. The Claims Review Committee is composed of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from Settlement Class Counsel and a Court-appointed "Neutral" who will be called upon to resolve disagreements between the Claims Committee’s other members, should they arise. To submit an appeal to the Claims Review Committee, you must send a written request to appeal to the Claims Review Committee, P.O. Box 214500, Auburn Hills, MI 48321 or crc@vwcourtsettlement.com.
Your request must include the following information:
• Claimant’s name, address, telephone number, VIN of the affected vehicle and Claim Reference Number
• You must also include a brief statement explaining why you believe the ineligibility determination was in error
After your claim is received and reviewed by the Claims Review Committee, you will receive a final determination as to your eligibility status.

TDI
Passat, Jetta
A few people

I'd like more information on who at Lief Cabraser, specifically, said this activity was "not in the spirit" of the agreement? (As alleged above). And what were the exact words used in that part of the discussion?
Why the interest. Pm your phone number

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
I recieved this update yesterday.

I called them, and was told my vehicle was ineligible because I purchased it with a salvage title.

The title was salvaged on 2/9/2017
I've sent my appeal the the Claims Review Committee, so I'll update the forum as to the outcome.

Save

Last edited:

yellowcard

TDI
13 GOLF, 10 JETTA, 11 SW

Just got this update on my claim portal.!!

Called, she said because of the Salvage title - Purchased the car in March. I told her VW used to accept salvage titles- she said yes but at this moment they DO NOT, but maybe they will in the future :)

2011 Volkswagen 2011 Jetta Sedan 4D TDI

3VWLL7AJ7xxxxxxx

VW-11
Based on the documents and information you have provided as part of your claim with Reference No.xxxxxxxx , you are not eligible to participate in the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program. The reason(s) for your ineligibility is described below

Not member of class - You are not a member of the class.

If you believe you are entitled to claim benefits under the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program, you may appeal this ineligibility determination to the Court-appointed Claims Review Committee. The Claims Review Committee is composed of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from Settlement Class Counsel and a Court-appointed 'Neutral' who will be called upon to resolve disagreements between the Claims Committee's other members, should they arise. To submit an appeal to the Claims Review Committee, you must send a written request to appeal to the Claims Review Committee, P.O. Box 214500, Auburn Hills, MI 48321 or crc@vwcourtsettlement.com.
Your request must include the following information:

• Claimant's name, address, telephone number, VIN of the affected vehicle and Claim Reference Number
  • You must also include a brief statement explaining why you believe the ineligibility determination was in error after your claim is received and reviewed by the Claims Review Committee, you will receive a final determination as to your eligibility status.

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
I've had an offer for over 3 months on a salvage car. It was salvaged prior to Sep 2015 and carfax shows it making a stop at CoPart. It should be a prime target for rejection I would think. Turn in date is Tuesday August 1. A few days ago I received the standard pre turn in email.

Keeping my fingers crossed they don't reject me at the last minute... I will update this thread regardless what happens.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Interesting. I had my 2011 Touareg that has a salvage title denied on Friday the 28th as well. It was issued a Salvage title on 11/16, so it should be approved. Is VW denying ALL Gen I claims that have a salvage title perhaps?

Last edited: