Bew in Place of an ALH

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
Ok so I'm thinking I my go a differant route I'm sure many have done this but I didn't see the thread. My kid recently wrecked an 05 mk4 Bew Wagon it has around 200k it ran good and had no issues other than timing belt was due and clutch was worn. My car is an 00 Jetta ALH that is approaching 300k the car runs good but I suspect that I may have a cylinder or two down on compression or head issues?? The car is a bit slow starting (brand new battery)it smokes (burns oil at start up) and all around is using about a qt of oil every 3to 5k. Anyway The body is decent I love the car as a comuter and want to plan for when this engine is done. I was simply going to get another ALH and keep on trucking but since I have this engine and trans with lower miles I thought I would pull it do the cam and timing components and transplant the whole deal tranny and all. My trans occasionally will grind going into 2nd for unknown reasons.
Just how much work will this be? Is it worth it? Are the transmissions the same other than the final drive? Sorry for the long winded questions looking to get a head start before winter comes...
Thanks

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
Dug through it a bit but didn't see what I wanted exactly,however I am preaty sure I can handle this one! As far as I know there are a few specific differences but other than that I do not believe that there is anything that will stop me. Looks like the fuel system,Ecu, speedo& teach.cluster and some wire and vacuum hose rerouting. Other than that? I'm hoping that the cooling is the same since both cars were mk4 and both are Jetta the 05 being the Wagon. Really a bit torn though since my neighbor has an 02 auto car with a popped T-belt I can get for a song.... I'm thinking if I had a little seat time in the PD car it would have made my decision a bit easier for sure! I will say this the car has more air,more fuel & a Tune in its future!
After all Momma has a new car so Popps ride must be made optimal for the hour ride to work twice daily!!!

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
Personally I would use the bew to swap into something like a jeep cherokee or ford ranger as there are kits for that and you still get around 40mpg. I think the bew jetta swap can be done, but might be almost as much work as doing a engine swap on a non tdi vehicle. If you really love the jetta I would say go for it. Using the 02 engine does not fix the tranny issue so I am not sure about that road unless the bew transmission will work or you get yours fixed with the extra money of selling your engine.

totalloser

TDI
04 golf
Hm. Sounds like a lot of work for minimal payoff.

Were it me, I'd pull the head on the ALH and do an "in frame" with lower compression pistons and injector tips. I do feel that the unit injector system is superior in function, but not worth the hassle. Lower compression and a little more fueling and you have similar performance to the PD engine.

And then you still have the PD engine to do something with. If I had one bonking around to play with, I'd probably go find a gasser of some sort to convert.

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
Yea the more I think about this the more I don't want to do it Lol!
If it were a huge bump in power or a gain in mpgs maybe.. But this swap offers neither. Its so easy to find an alh these days I will more than likely stick to the original power..
I would love to rebuild this engine but is it cost effective? From what little I have read it's not.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I would sell everything for whatever you can get and just go buy a 02/03 jetta 5 speed. late 03 with the esp and updates is my preference.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Having done a swap (ALH in to an Audi TT), there is more to it than just "switching engines and the ECM". A couple things come to mind: Fan Control Module wiring; difference in cluster pin connectors; airbag control module; ABS module; various sensors on the firewall.

I'm sure it's doable, it's just going to take the time to go through everything on the BEW and swap it to the ALH.......a lot of time.

I'd fix the ALH and look for a BEW VW that needed an engine. Keep the wrecked BEW wagon for parts.

Eric

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I'd keep looking for guidance on the BEW in the early A4.
Maybe PM Oilhammer, he can also be found in the TDI chat room on occasion.

totalloser

TDI
04 golf
Regarding transmission "final drive": IIRC the 4 cylinders are predominantly bolt up between gas and diesel. There is quite a bit of ratio variation, but a generalization that is *usually* accurate is that the gassers run a lower final ratio (diff "final" drive) and taller first and reverse. IMO this ratio spread SUCKS.

Most of the diesels use lower first and reverse, and taller final- so first and reverse at the wheels wind up about the same as gassers, but the diesel ratio spread is wider and the transmission has significantly longer legs so to speak.

It is possible to mix and match to get what you want, but it is key to get the wider ratio transmission- then just get the taller final. But in short, the diesel transmission *ratios* are superior.

If you wind up this far into it though, it's easy to consider the weak diff and a limited slip. Which harmed handling in my ride (spools up in heavy cornering so tires squeal forcing me to corner slower) But I loathe ESP, so YMMV. :D