JSW Buy Back

mirage2521

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta, 2013 JSW, 2015 PASSAT SEL
Damn, I just did the buy back calculator on our #2 Jetta, 2013 JSW. I thought I did pretty well turning in my 2010 for nearly twice its NADA value. I had no intention of turning in this low mileage perfect JSW but damn. They make it hard to resist. I bought the car for 18k three years ago and their buyback calculator says the buyback price is 25k.

I get emotionally attached to cars and letting my 2010 go back was gut wrenching even though it had 305,000 on the odometer. Letting the JSW go is going to just as hard. How many people are keeping these cars in spite of the ridiculous offers from VW?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
I am keeping mine... 253k on the clock now. Because i drive about 40k miles a year and my company reimburse me for .54 cent per mile.... its way more than what VW can offer me. My car is paid off and i only pay for gas and go. I am waiting for next TDI replacement once she reaches 500k miles or above when engine dies, Then she is to be retired.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Damn, I just did the buy back calculator on our #2 Jetta, 2013 JSW. I thought I did pretty well turning in my 2010 for nearly twice its NADA value. I had no intention of turning in this low mileage perfect JSW but damn. They make it hard to resist. I bought the car for 18k three years ago and their buyback calculator says the buyback price is 25k.

I get emotionally attached to cars and letting my 2010 go back was gut wrenching even though it had 305,000 on the odometer. Letting the JSW go is going to just as hard. How many people are keeping these cars in spite of the ridiculous offers from VW?
I'm at the other end of the mileage situation.

My 2015 Golf TDi DSG has only 5,051 miles.

On the buy back I would have gotten $25,625-ish

But I will get $6,701 plus $350 = $7,051 on the fix.

And I do not have to buy a new replacement car TT&L ($1,000?)

$8,051-ish to just keep it.

My papers are in the hopper for the fix. Just waiting for an appointment.

MSRP on the car was $24,895. With all discounts, Good will, FIX money, my bases is $13,444-ish

Currant NADA clean CPO retail = $21,900-ish

I rate my car CPO-ish because we have the VW 11 year, 162,000 miles warranty

Kite_rider

TDI
2010 JSW
"ridiculous offers from VW", I don't see it that way... It looks like I'd get about $15K to turn in my car vs around $5K to keep it with a fix (if that ever happens..). So the difference is around $10K and I don't think I could find another car anywhere near as good, clean, and reliable as what I have now for $10K. Here in the NW our cars don't rust and since I keep it in the garage, it is almost good as new in appearance and it drives that way too!

My primary fear is that there will be no fix and I will be offered no choice but to turn it in. I'm actually considering keeping the car even if it means that I don't get the $5K 'hush money'. Just not sure what it means for an eventual re-sell down the road.

MontrealTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf Wagon TDI w/DSG
The only reason I am selling back our 2013 TDI (which I love and would have kept another 5 years) is to get in a 2018 R :D

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
My 09 JSW with 50k miles is going back tomorrow. Hate to do it but 20K dollars for a almost 8 yr old car is a gotta do decision. There will be almost no value with no fix and all the emission states that would not register it. Hate to see it go ,but I just replaced with an Alltrack,which is very good car so far. Tons of added features and updates.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
My 09 JSW with 50k miles is going back tomorrow. Hate to do it but 20K dollars for a almost 8 yr old car is a gotta do decision. There will be almost no value with no fix and all the emission states that would not register it. Hate to see it go ,but I just replaced with an Alltrack,which is very good car so far. Tons of added features and updates.
What fix? What states wouldn't register it? I'd be surprised if registration is ever an issue.

atsffan

TDI
2013 Golf United Grey 6M 2 doors, no waiting.
What fix? What states wouldn't register it? I'd be surprised if registration is ever an issue.
California.
Guaranteed they'll not register it w/o a fix. And the fix will be in the DMV database as to whether it's been applied or not.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wrong.
Any states that signed off on the consent decree (including CA), forfeit the ability to deny registration. At least in cases directly related to dieselgate.

Last edited:

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
turbobrick, any state that has an emissions test for registration will require the car to pass the emissions test. I'll believe that there are exceptions when I see it in writing. I hate the whole idea,but Calif may not allow anycar that isn't electric in a few yrs. They are plain crazy in that state. Who is going to stop them?

I don't know exactly how many states don't require emissions,but I would bet all the most populated states have a program,except my state of FL. Good for me.

I'll stand by my comment,the TDI will have lost most of it's value if there is no fix. I have the same problem with my Treg 2012 TDI, no fix will be done. It stinks,but those are the facts.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
... snip.... I hate the whole idea,but Calif may not allow anycar that isn't electric in a few yrs.

They are plain crazy in that state. Who is going to stop them? .... snip.....

Crazy ? Certifiable

100% EVs ?

IMO

wrong

Range is an issue. KILOWATT cost would drive California motorist bonkers

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
turbobrick, any state that has an emissions test for registration will require the car to pass the emissions test. I'll believe that there are exceptions when I see it in writing. I hate the whole idea,but Calif may not allow anycar that isn't electric in a few yrs. They are plain crazy in that state. Who is going to stop

I'll stand by my comment,the TDI will have lost most of it's value if there is no fix. I have the same problem with my Treg 2012 TDI, no fix will be done. It stinks,but those are the facts.
It is in writing- you just have to read the consent decree.

mirage2521

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta, 2013 JSW, 2015 PASSAT SEL
"ridiculous offers from VW", I don't see it that way... It looks like I'd get about $15K to turn in my car vs around $5K to keep it with a fix (if that ever happens..). So the difference is around $10K and I don't think I could find another car anywhere near as good, clean, and reliable as what I have now for $10K. Here in the NW our cars don't rust and since I keep it in the garage, it is almost good as new in appearance and it drives that way too!

My primary fear is that there will be no fix and I will be offered no choice but to turn it in. I'm actually considering keeping the car even if it means that I don't get the $5K 'hush money'. Just not sure what it means for an eventual re-sell down the road.
My offer was 24k for a car with a book of about 15k that I paid 17k for 2 years ago is a ridiculously good offer. So was the 11k on my 2010 jetta with 305,000 miles on it book value of around 5k. Thank you VW, I have already replaced both with new 2015 TDIs with an 8.5k rebate. Thank you VW.